By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3 Demographic More Diverse Than Xbox 360 Demographic?

Squilliam said:
Its the same as saying the PS3 doesn't have as much diversity because X Japanese game/genre sold better and hence they are all just either Japanese or Japanophiles. The reality is that the Xbox 360 is more dominated by one region and that one regions sales sets the overall trends for which games sell or don't sell on the 360.

This is further compounded by the fact that multiplayer games tend to snowball in sales as they get more popular because of the huge network effect of online multiplayer where the Xbox 360 definately holds dominance over the single largest cohesive multiplayer market in the console world with its strength in all native English speaking countries.

Exactly. I mean Tales of Vesperia only released in Japan on the PS3, yet it's sales are more then half the games sales on 360, despite being a port on PS3. Final Fantasy XIII sold 2 to 1 in favor of PS3.

I bought my 360 largely for the strong JRPG market. Just because they don't sell well, doesn't mean that the demograph doesn't include them. PS3 has 3 good JRPG exclusives - Demon Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and Folklore, and 1 decent one (White Knight Chronicles). 360 has 5 good JRPG exclusives - Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, The Last Remnant, Infinite Undisocvery, and Tales of Vesperia, and 2 decent ones (Magna Carta 2, Record of Agarest War).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
brendude13 said:
Michael-5 said:
Ostro said:

d21lewis and Michael-5 know what's good :)
If I may add a thought I had already years ago: isn't it more like people who play FPS and "AAA" only are the real casual gamers? I mean ... if the games were core, how could they be so successful? 50m+ 360s/PS3s sold. Do people really think those are all core gamers who buy the 20m FPS? Core gamers are pretty rare nowadays, just take a look around when shopping (or take a look at the software tie ratios).

What does being a core or casual gamer have to do with the demograph of PS3 or 360? I'll agree with you that generally FPS's appeal to casual games due to their simple pick up and play online gameplay, and both PS3 and 360 have a strong casual (and core) FPS crowd, but what does that change?

Also selling well doesn't make games like Halo or Assassin's Creed less of "core titles." Sales have nothing to do whether the game appeals to the hardcore or not. Some of my favorite games sell in low volumes, others in high volumes (e.g. Lost Odyssey - 800k, Gears 2 - 6 million).

What I think he is trying to say is core gamers are more likely to pick up the gems that have silent releases, games that "casual" gamers would know nothing about.

And about your other comment, shooting is not the primary focus in Uncharted, platforming is, In Uncharted I can go up to 5 minutes without firing a bullet, I can only go about 1 minute tops without having to scale something though.

I suppose I am on my own about Uncharted. Just the game feels a lot like Lost Planet 1 (I loved this game, so it's a compliment), and that's a shooter.

I felt gun fights were the primary focus, and i disagree with those numbers. Some gun fights last up to 15 minutes long (especially Uncharted 1), but I never had a scaling section that lasted more then 5 minutes, unless the game was glitching on my and not letting me grab a poll. Also boss fights all involve shooting. Every AA game I have played, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Mario, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, etc. They all implemented some form of strategy to take out an enemy. Uncharted 1 the boss was just shoot shoot shoot, win a melee fight. Uncharted 2 it was shoot the blue bombs. I have trouble accepting Uncharted not primarily being a shooter, when none of the boss fights can be defeated without just blasting the boss.

I'm willing to say it's a hybrid like ME2. Shooter/AA, and well this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to change anyone elses.

Also some gems, are shooters. Vanquish is one of the best games I have played in a long while. Dead Space and Crysis also didn't sell that particularly well and they are great shooters (Dead Space I would has is Horror/Shooter). That point doesn't change the demograph except maybe imply that 360 is somewhat more favorable to casual gamers since shooters sell better. That I will agree with.

Well you're not alone.  Even Wikipedia calls Uncharted a third person shooter/action adventure.  I checked out the new footage on youtube (actually, I just read the comments since I didn't want to spoil the game for myself) and some guy called it a platformer!  I wanted to correct him but I didn't feel like getting into a youtube debate.

d21lewis said:
Michael-5 said:

I suppose I am on my own about Uncharted. Just the game feels a lot like Lost Planet 1 (I loved this game, so it's a compliment), and that's a shooter.

I felt gun fights were the primary focus, and i disagree with those numbers. Some gun fights last up to 15 minutes long (especially Uncharted 1), but I never had a scaling section that lasted more then 5 minutes, unless the game was glitching on my and not letting me grab a poll. Also boss fights all involve shooting. Every AA game I have played, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Mario, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, etc. They all implemented some form of strategy to take out an enemy. Uncharted 1 the boss was just shoot shoot shoot, win a melee fight. Uncharted 2 it was shoot the blue bombs. I have trouble accepting Uncharted not primarily being a shooter, when none of the boss fights can be defeated without just blasting the boss.

I'm willing to say it's a hybrid like ME2. Shooter/AA, and well this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to change anyone elses.

Also some gems, are shooters. Vanquish is one of the best games I have played in a long while. Dead Space and Crysis also didn't sell that particularly well and they are great shooters (Dead Space I would has is Horror/Shooter). That point doesn't change the demograph except maybe imply that 360 is somewhat more favorable to casual gamers since shooters sell better. That I will agree with.

Well you're not alone.  Even Wikipedia calls Uncharted a third person shooter/action adventure.  I checked out the new footage on youtube (actually, I just read the comments since I didn't want to spoil the game for myself) and some guy called it a platformer!  I wanted to correct him but I didn't feel like getting into a youtube debate.

On this website, I'm usually alone for PS3 comments. I just view the PS3 differently from everyone here, and generally less favorably.

Not sure if I'm the odd one though, go to the best video game system elimination thread, and PS3 is looking at securing #1, while 360 placed 18/40, behind every single Sony, and Nintendo system (except Virtual Boy). Makes no sense singe more then 90% of the games are MP.

Still everybody, great debate. You may not be able to change my opinion, but I respect yours, and it's rare to get a good debate going on this website that doesn't lead into some crazy PS3 fan insulting me (had 5 nuts banned so far, :-O!). I appreciate it, and again, respect your opinions.

Just so you know, IGN labels Uncharted as a third-person action adventure, VGC simply labels it as Action (which makes sense since it plays like a movie), while gametrailers classify it as Action/Adventure, Shooter. To be honest, VGC's classification makes the most sense since it's mainly the movie feel that makes Uncharted what it is.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:

On this website, I'm usually alone for PS3 comments. I just view the PS3 differently from everyone here, and generally less favorably.

Not sure if I'm the odd one though, go to the best video game system elimination thread, and PS3 is looking at securing #1, while 360 placed 18/40, behind every single Sony, and Nintendo system (except Virtual Boy). Makes no sense singe more then 90% of the games are MP.

Still everybody, great debate. You may not be able to change my opinion, but I respect yours, and it's rare to get a good debate going on this website that doesn't lead into some crazy PS3 fan insulting me (had 5 nuts banned so far, :-O!). I appreciate it, and again, respect your opinions.

1st bolded:  There's a reason why I don't even look at certain threads.  I already know that certain things I think aren't what the majority feel.  It's good that you're secure enough in your own opinions that you don't need to be validated by some poll, comparison, or contest.  You know what you like and won't let anybody tell you otherwise.

2nd bolded:  You know, for a while I couldn't find a thread to post in on this site.  It just wasn't anything good to talk about.  No real discussions.  For the last week or so, I've really been enjoying things, here.  Conversation has been intelligent and civil.  Just like you, I appreciate it, too.  We're going to have different opinions but as long as we can respect each other, this site is an awesome place to be.

d21lewis said:
Michael-5 said:

1st bolded:  There's a reason why I don't even look at certain threads.  I already know that certain things I think aren't what the majority feel.  It's good that you're secure enough in your own opinions that you don't need to be validated by some poll, comparison, or contest.  You know what you like and won't let anybody tell you otherwise.

2nd bolded:  You know, for a while I couldn't find a thread to post in on this site.  It just wasn't anything good to talk about.  No real discussions.  For the last week or so, I've really been enjoying things, here.  Conversation has been intelligent and civil.  Just like you, I appreciate it, too.  We're going to have different opinions but as long as we can respect each other, this site is an awesome place to be.

1. I'm always free to suggestions. When I first say Dragon Age I turned it down, then people pushed me to play it and so far I love it. Haven't played much of it though. A lot of my favorite games I only picked up because of suggestion (Mass Effect, Chrono Trigger, and Pikmin are 3 big ones that come to mind). So it's important to listen to others, but still hold onto your opinions. Just don't force them onto others.

2. For clarity, I meant everyone I was debating with. Looking back I've been debating for over 10 pages, with 4 or 5 different people, about a couple different subjects. Nothing really got out of hand, and everything was awesome. This is the way the forums should be.

Lets hope the fall season doesn't corrupt this spirit. People tend to become compeditive about their favorite IP's/Consoles.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
d21lewis said:
Michael-5 said:

Just so you know, IGN labels Uncharted as a third-person action adventure, VGC simply labels it as Action (which makes sense since it plays like a movie), while gametrailers classify it as Action/Adventure, Shooter. To be honest, VGC's classification makes the most sense since it's mainly the movie feel that makes Uncharted what it is.

While I don't agree with you trying to bring the PS3 down to an equal level or below Xbox 360 on every possible occasion, the PS3 being voted as the best console ever is just wrong, it should barely be in the top 5, let alone number 1.

Anyway, probably 80% of games released these days have some sort of shooting mechanics in them. For a game to be classified as a shooter in mine and many other people's views, shooting has to be very dominant, think along the lines of Gears of War. I think "Action / Adventure, Shooter" would be the most accurate description, if I could choose only ONE of those categories to place Uncharted in though I wouldn't hesitate to put it into Action / Adventure.

brendude13 said:
Michael-5 said:

While I don't agree with you trying to bring the PS3 down to an equal level or below Xbox 360 on every possible occasion, the PS3 being voted as the best console ever is just wrong, it should barely be in the top 5, let alone number 1.

Anyway, probably 80% of games released these days have some sort of shooting mechanics in them. For a game to be classified as a shooter in mine and many other people's views, shooting has to be very dominant, think along the lines of Gears of War. I think "Action / Adventure, Shooter" would be the most accurate description, if I could choose only ONE of those categories to place Uncharted in though I wouldn't hesitate to put it into Action / Adventure.

I can see why me bringing the PS3 and 360 down to equal levels would annoy you, but it just baffles me that people here think PS3 is far supperior to 360. I'm just tired of people calling me ignorant because I can view this rationally

Also if I went around saying 360 is better (which it is IMO), people tend to flip out on me. Bringing them down to equal level brings me less hate, and just makes defending some games I like (like Halo, Gears, Forza, or Lost Odyssey) significantly easier.

I'll try to limit myself.

I agree with you about your comment on Shooters, I just feel Shooting is the dominant game mechanic in Uncharted. Uncharted is a linear game, which you spend the majority of time shooting people, so how could I not?

However I did say I would settle with Shooter/AA Hybrid, which you seem to agree with.

I will post one more thing before I let this whole argument die:
Xbox 360 exclusive FPS franchises:
-Halo
-Uhh......
(and if we're just talking shooters, we could toss in Gears of War)

PS3 Exclusive FPS Franchises:
-Resistance
-Killzone
-M.A,G.
-(and if we're talking shooters, we could arguably toss in Socom and Uncharted)

And that's it. I'm done.

Michael-5 said:
brendude13 said:

I can see why me bringing the PS3 and 360 down to equal levels would annoy you, but it just baffles me that people here think PS3 is far supperior to 360. I'm just tired of people calling me ignorant because I can view this rationally

Also if I went around saying 360 is better (which it is IMO), people tend to flip out on me. Bringing them down to equal level brings me less hate, and just makes defending some games I like (like Halo, Gears, Forza, or Lost Odyssey) significantly easier.

I'll try to limit myself.

I agree with you about your comment on Shooters, I just feel Shooting is the dominant game mechanic in Uncharted. Uncharted is a linear game, which you spend the majority of time shooting people, so how could I not?

However I did say I would settle with Shooter/AA Hybrid, which you seem to agree with.

I don't think it is vastly superior, other people do though and I disagree with them.

And there is nothing wrong with liking the XBOX 360 more than the PS3, it's just when you are going against the grain, you have to try to keep that opinion to yourself or at least give a detailed explanation as to why you think it is better. It is more than OK to defend your preferred console if it recieves unfair criticism but only within reason (no insulting the other console etc).

And yeah, it's just the fact that we look at genres differently. I don't think shooting is the dominant game mechanic in Uncharted, but even if I did, I still wouldn't label it a shooter over Action / Adventure because almost every game released these days is expected to have some form of gunplay in them, I only start to think of it as a shooter when shooting is one of the only mechanics.

Anyway, Shooter, Action / Adventure is spot on.

brendude13 said:

I don't think it is vastly superior, other people do though and I disagree with them.

And there is nothing wrong with liking the XBOX 360 more than the PS3, it's just when you are going against the grain, you have to try to keep that opinion to yourself or at least give a detailed explanation as to why you think it is better. It is more than OK to defend your preferred console if it recieves unfair criticism but only within reason (no insulting the other console etc).

And yeah, it's just the fact that we look at genres differently. I don't think shooting is the dominant game mechanic in Uncharted, but even if I did, I still wouldn't label it a shooter over Action / Adventure because almost every game released these days is expected to have some form of gunplay in them, I only start to think of it as a shooter when shooting is one of the only mechanics.

Anyway, Shooter, Action / Adventure is spot on.

See that's the thing, I don't feel I'm going against the grain. I feel Halo and Gears sell well because they are just damn good games. Same with Gran Turismo, Forza, and Uncharted. I don't think you can buy sales with just marketing.

I rarely push the lesser product, in a dispute between Alan Wake and Heavy Rain, I won't try to push Alan Wake as supperior to Heavy Rain (although I prefered it). I know Alan Wake is the generally accepted inferrior game because of weaker sales, review, and hype among console owners.

Also I never insult other peoples opinions. If you ever had a real chance to debate with me, you will see that. Worst case what happens is someone who disagrees with me will flip out and get banned because, well someone has a different view then them. People insult me, but I don't insult back, this is an online forum. I think people who can't hold a civil debate here are just pathetic.

Anyway we agree on Uncharted. Different views, but we still can to a rational conclusion.