By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - You are forced to change your religious beliefs - pick a new religion

What religion would you choose if you had to change?

Atheist/Agnostic/Pastafarian/Jedi 39 20.31%

Christianity 15 7.81%

Islam 25 13.02%

Judaism 8 4.17%

Hinduism 5 2.60%

Buddhism 66 34.38%

Scientology 1 0.52%

Wicca 6 3.13%

Norse 6 3.13%

Roman/Greek 21 10.94%

Total:192
Player1x3 said:
Kasz216 said:

It depends really on what kind of "forced to change your beliefs" situation it is.

Is it a situation that forcibly changes reality or one that simply removes an option.

If the first... Bahá'í Islam probably... or some sort of Judaism.

Buddism is great and all, and a great thing to model your life over... reincarnation is not a very preferable afteralife if you ask me.

If the second Agnostic.  Religion isn't something that you change based on choice.

Out of curiosity, what religion do you follow, kazs216?

Equivelent to a somwhat Christian Deism.  Though not the branch called Christian Deism.  With a lot of the concepts which are similiar to Baha'i Islam about the inconceivable nature of god, since god would be uncomprhendable pretty much by definition.

Around the Network

Some people take this thread way too seriously.

I'd pick Greek, and so the drinking and partying are only to please Dionysus ^_^

scottie said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Also, I'm quite opposed that you count "Scientology" as religious belief.

Well, I also don't consider atheism/agnosticism to be religious beliefs, but to describe all of them properly would have taken up too much space.

Besides, aren't you glad it's on there with 0 votes?

Additionally, no love for Hinduism from anyone? I'm surprised. It has the spirituality, non-offensiveness and peaceful nature of buddhism, and the Gods in it are pretty bitchin'

I see what you mean.

Fun fact: in my contract of labour I had to sign a policy that I'm in no way affiliated with the teachings of Ron Hubbard.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

I don't follow a specific religion, we're all people of god and that's what I consider myself and everyone who does follow a religion that believes in god.

Roman/Greek or Norse are the only other ones I would consider. Roman and Greek Mysteries that is. Norse, because it is derived from the traditional beliefs of my ancestors.

I picked Roman and Greek because of the vast sea of different faiths within their Empires; they absorbed many surrounding cultures, and had highly philosophical beliefs. The Pythagoreans and many of the Mysteries of the Greek and Roman World are very similar to Christianity, and likely were its core roots when combined with the Hellenized Jewish community, and writing their faith after hundreds of years of philosophical and mystical experience. If you believe in love, the existence of that force beyond the harshness of earthly judgmenet, if you have felt that thin moment, then think of these people who dwelt and explored it for all their lives. Christianity, is a religion of love and forgiveness, of non-violent defiance of the establishment - and these Mysteries of the ancient Greeks and Romans are closest.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

I would die before being forced to change my religion.

However if I was not Christian 

I have seen posts by you claiming to be a right winged, pro-military anti-social welfare supporter. It is one thing to call yourself a Christian, it is quite another to oppose some of its core principles which include non-violence, anti-warfare, and social welfare.

The great irony of the Modern World is that Christianity is most often associated with political philosophy which the bible excplicitly opposes.

What if you are certain the enemy is evil? Matthew 5:42 states "Do not resist one who is evil." and is followed by 5:43 which states "Love your enemies; pray for your persecutors."

"Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword" (Matthew 26:52) Shows that Jesus dislikes those who are violent; going so far as to condemning them to death by the sword. It is not so much a warning against picking up the sword, but as a statement to his peaceful followers stating that the savage warriors will die by savagery themselves.

Right winged Conservatives are like the Pharisees, Jesus was very Liberal, and very much against the Pharisees.

If you are slapped, offer the other cheek.

Gandhi was very liberal as well, and a follower of Jesus as well as other faiths. He followed the path of Christ far better than those who claim to be Christian, but are indeed merely the puppets of Pharisees.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Kasz216 said:
Player1x3 said:
Kasz216 said:

It depends really on what kind of "forced to change your beliefs" situation it is.

Is it a situation that forcibly changes reality or one that simply removes an option.

If the first... Bahá'í Islam probably... or some sort of Judaism.

Buddism is great and all, and a great thing to model your life over... reincarnation is not a very preferable afteralife if you ask me.

If the second Agnostic.  Religion isn't something that you change based on choice.

Out of curiosity, what religion do you follow, kazs216?

Equivelent to a somwhat Christian Deism.  Though not the branch called Christian Deism.  With a lot of the concepts which are similiar to Baha'i Islam about the inconceivable nature of god, since god would be uncomprhendable pretty much by definition.

I am too something between a christian deist only i put a bit more ephasis on my christian side, for traditions sake.

the two id be aren't there, tao and shinto, although zen buddhism sounds equally good

Jumpin said:
Joelcool7 said:

I have seen posts by you claiming to be a right winged, pro-military anti-social welfare supporter. It is one thing to call yourself a Christian, it is quite another to oppose some of its core principles which include non-violence, anti-warfare, and social welfare.

The great irony of the Modern World is that Christianity is most often associated with political philosophy which the bible excplicitly opposes.

What if you are certain the enemy is evil? Matthew 5:42 states "Do not resist one who is evil." and is followed by 5:43 which states "Love your enemies; pray for your persecutors."

"Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword" (Matthew 26:52) Shows that Jesus dislikes those who are violent; going so far as to condemning them to death by the sword. It is not so much a warning against picking up the sword, but as a statement to his peaceful followers stating that the savage warriors will die by savagery themselves.

Right winged Conservatives are like the Pharisees, Jesus was very Liberal, and very much against the Pharisees.

Gandhi was very liberal as well, and a follower of Jesus as well as other faiths. He followed the path of Christ far better than those who claim to be Christian, but are indeed merely the puppets of Pharisees.

you do realize God helped the nation of isreal fight wars, and kill people. War and going to war are certainly permitted by the Bible.

also Jesus would certainly not be supporting liberalism. things things like charity and helping your neighor are supposed to be done by the individual. its not giving or Godly if you are forced to do it. in fact the Bible has many parables that certainly do not put people like tax collectors and tyranical governments in positive light.

and if in case you didnt know conservatives give vastly more to charity than liberals do. you know the thing Jesus asked people to do, at of the goodness of your heart, not becuase your forced to

Jumpin said:
Joelcool7 said:

Two things to think about:

1. Jesus was non-violent, but also preached self defense. Luke 22:36-38. He also attacked moneychangers in the temple with a whip. John 2:14-16. Although Jesus was certainly against most forms of violence, its foolish to think he was a total pacificst.
  2. Jesus did preach social welfare, but not in any governmental capacity. The church of Acts did not attempt to coerce nor force welfare on anyone. It was fully voluntary, and was considered an act of charity. Furthermore, no mention in the entire Bible is given, even in the area of a theocratic society, that government must force welfare on anyone - Biblical welfare is 100% voluntary (although desired that 100% participate in taking care of the needy).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.