By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ok, I am gonna say it - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is in many ways much better than God of War 3

M.U.G.E.N said:
Player1x3 said:
Tridrakious said:
Player1x3 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Infamous, darksiders, and Dante's inferno(not sure about devil may cry) are all 15 to 20 hrs long.

while i haven't beat Castlevania yet its not a strong enough game in comparison. to GOW.

GOW lost me at the end with the hope thing. i liked David Jaffe's idea better http://thesilentchief.com/2010/08/03/david-jaffes-vision-for-god-of-war-iii/ (heres the gttv vid link http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-10-gttv-extended/702453)

inFamous isnt an action adventure game,  dont know about Darksiders, but danters Inferno is NO WHERE NEAR 15 hours long, I beat the game in little under 9 hours

inFamous is indeed an Action Adventure game, not really sure how you think otherwise. Darksiders is also an action adventure game. Dante's Inferno....well who really cares.

infamous is an open sandbox game. Adventure game usually requiers different and multiple levels instead of just one really huge one

wrong
sandbox/open word are types of "level designs"..nt genre. Games like inFamous/Assassins Creed/Darksiders ARE Action Adventure games. For example inFamous is a Sci Fi Action Adventure game which is open world

So by that definition every game is an adventure game

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Player1x3 said:
Tridrakious said:
Player1x3 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Infamous, darksiders, and Dante's inferno(not sure about devil may cry) are all 15 to 20 hrs long.

while i haven't beat Castlevania yet its not a strong enough game in comparison. to GOW.

GOW lost me at the end with the hope thing. i liked David Jaffe's idea better http://thesilentchief.com/2010/08/03/david-jaffes-vision-for-god-of-war-iii/ (heres the gttv vid link http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-10-gttv-extended/702453)

inFamous isnt an action adventure game,  dont know about Darksiders, but danters Inferno is NO WHERE NEAR 15 hours long, I beat the game in little under 9 hours

inFamous is indeed an Action Adventure game, not really sure how you think otherwise. Darksiders is also an action adventure game. Dante's Inferno....well who really cares.

infamous is an open sandbox game. Adventure game usually requiers different and multiple levels instead of just one really huge one

wrong
sandbox/open word are types of "level designs"..nt genre. Games like inFamous/Assassins Creed/Darksiders ARE Action Adventure games. For example inFamous is a Sci Fi Action Adventure game which is open world

So by that definition every game is an adventure game

umm no

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I played GoW and didn't like it, so I never tried the series again.

However, I played the C:LoS demo and watched some videos and found it quite attractive, so I gave in and bought it recently, I'm gonna play it as soon as I finish Yakuza 4. I'm pretty sure I'll like it, it's got some 'feel' from what I have experienced.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Bayonetta is better than both.

Combined.

disolitude said:
Both games put me to sleep thanks to static camer, boring button mashing gameplay and focus QTE/cutscenes. But since God of War 3 did what God of War does, I can't fault it. LoS on the other hand...freekin hate its existance in the castlevania universe.

lol, pretty much this for me too.

Around the Network

I really do like Castlevania: Lord of Shadows; one of my favorite games this gen

in Story, Would give it to LoS, the ending was just heart-wrenching, and the real ending blew my mind.

everything else would go the GoW III; combat was much more fluid, the scale was enormous(from start to end), and the graphics are some the on any console.(the CS:LoS was a visual treat as well)

Havent played god of war 3 yet though if its still pretty similar to god of war 2 ill give it to los.

Carl2291 said:
Bayonetta is better than both.

Combined.

Funny because Bayonetta make me fell asleep a lot... just the third playthrough without Witch Time was good.

For me it's a 7/10 game... Castlevania too.

Lords of Shadow does a lot of things right, but unlike God of War 3, it also does a lot of things wrong. I will make a list.

- Camera can sometimes be really bad, it just wasn't designed very well and it wasn't adapted to the environments they made. The camera should never be off the character, especially in a fight, the camera should also be able to predict where your going and what your planning to do, it's hard, but it's something God of War has nailed since the first game.

- The level design ranges from good to bad, it's a linear game but it has unapproachable openings all over the place, this is confusing and can get annoying when it's so frequent. It's linear, I should never get lost and yet I did, I'd just keep running around trying to find the exit and then it'd end up being some small crevice at the corner of the map.

- Framerate drops badly at some points.

- This is not an opinion, the platforming isn't good, God of War 3 plays better and the transitions between platforms are much smoother and quicker.

- Fighting the titans was a horrible experience, it was extremely boring and it just wasn't fun, it tried to do what God of War and Shadows of the Colossus does best and it failed miserably. Doing it once was annoying, doing it four times was ball bustingly bad.

- While the combat was very good, the items felt pretty much useless. It also doesn't help that your using roughly the same weapon throughout the whole game, but as I said the combat was fun and it was flexible.

- The set pieces are a whole class lower than the ones in God of War 3, the closest one would be the battle towards the end.

- The Titan graveyard was boring as shit.

- The puzzles ranged from cool to stupid, half of them were based around the fail and repeat until you win formula and it's a design choice I can't appreciate.

- It's a very long game and I can appreciate that, but it's a long linear game, which is something I can't appreciate. 20 hour or more games are better suited to sandboxes and RPG's, only because they can provide the variety. Editing exists for a reason, some levels at the beginning of the games were way too long, while some later in the game could have benefited from more content.

Basically, God of War is a top notch franchise for many reasons, but one of the primary reasons is that it's made by masters of their craft. It's a smooth, polished and thrilling experience and that's something Lords of Shadow couldn't provide. Mercury Steam did a fantastic job and they made a lot of interesting decisions and I'd be willing to bet that if they had Santa Monica guiding them when it came to things like optimization, camera work, level design and the finer points of game design, then they would have easily bested God of War 3.

I look forward to a sequel.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I enjoyed Lords of Shadow more than God of War 3 as well, The music & feeling of Lords of Shadow alone would rate it above all of GOW3 (or the whole series for that matter) for me

I'm biased though as I'm all about the characters and Gabriel has more of a personality, he is nowhere near the one dimensional "i'm angry at everything" nature of Kratos, a lot of the time Kratos just tired me with his dullness where I was geninely interested in Gabriels tale. If God of War was the length of castlevania in a single game I never would have finshed it. Plus I far prefer Castlevanias dark eastern european setting to Greek Mythology, my own opinion here of course.

@carl 2291, I totally agree on the bayonetta call too, never thought I could like an action game so much, that one was a true surprise.

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)