By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ok, I am gonna say it - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is in many ways much better than God of War 3

A203D said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Infamous, darksiders, and Dante's inferno(not sure about devil may cry) are all 15 to 20 hrs long.

while i haven't beat Castlevania yet its not a strong enough game in comparison. to GOW.

GOW lost me at the end with the hope thing. i liked David Jaffe's idea better http://thesilentchief.com/2010/08/03/david-jaffes-vision-for-god-of-war-iii/ (heres the gttv vid link http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-10-gttv-extended/702453)

I actully think i agree with you.

Castlevania is not as good as God of War 1 or 2. while those games are shorter, they are more complete. in the sense that God of War was an excellent adaptation of a Greek tragedy. GoW2 was not as good storywise, but it did build on and improve the formula. the PSP GoW games, for some reason are as equally as good. with Ghost of Sparta even being compared to GoW3 in some cases.

while i think the combat in GoW3 is better than Castlvania, the blocking and rolling are just more accessible and Castlevania's combos are difficult to complete because because the enemy AI, things like that. i really like that long combo in Castlevania where Gabrial slams the whip on the floor multiple times. only its rarely ever useful. in GoW you can pretty much use whatever moves you want, when you want, because the system is more adaptable like that.

however the reason GoW3's story and characters dont make sense is because of the departure of David Jaffe, and the introduction of director Stig Ammerson. a man who i personally think is abysimal. the story he commissioned for GoW3 about Pandora is attrocious. "Hope is what makes us strong". the man clearly is not a director. for some reason (that is never explained) Athena returns in the opening few hours, and has a new mission to take over the world. the whole game feels like it was scripted by a teenager. and thats why Castlevania is better. all the things mentioned in the OP about level design, story, length, etc. GoW3 couldve been the best action game of all time, maybe even the best game of this gen, but no David Jaffe is no deal as far as i'm concerned.

ok now i have to agree with you on all points.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Infamous, darksiders, and Dante's inferno(not sure about devil may cry) are all 15 to 20 hrs long.

while i haven't beat Castlevania yet its not a strong enough game in comparison. to GOW.

GOW lost me at the end with the hope thing. i liked David Jaffe's idea better http://thesilentchief.com/2010/08/03/david-jaffes-vision-for-god-of-war-iii/ (heres the gttv vid link http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-10-gttv-extended/702453)

So basically his plan was similar to the last two seasons of Hercules the Legendary Journies.

Seems like further theory of my "The god of war team got it's ideas of Greek religion and the gods by watching Hercules the Legendary Journies."

lol

d21lewis said:

I haven't played Castlevania, yet. My take on it is this: God of War 3 is about ten hours long. It was an amazing ten hours, for me. As great as those ten hours were, they are over. Castlevania is a viable option for people that want to play something similar to pass the time until God of War 4. There's a ton of options in that department: Conan, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry, etc. for fans to try.

So, instead of assuming that game A is better than game B (which is a matter of personal opinion, no matter how you look at it), let's just say that people who like game A will probably enjoy game B, too. It doesn't have to be better than the game that a majority will always feel is the best (this goes for any game that tries to knock Mario, Halo, or Gran Turismo off of their perch, too.). Save the comparisons for when Gears of War 3 faces off with Uncharted 3. That's when it will actually matter.

spot on

@MARCUSDJACKSON
reported for spamming.

Tridrakious said:
Player1x3 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

inFamous isnt an action adventure game,  dont know about Darksiders, but danters Inferno is NO WHERE NEAR 15 hours long, I beat the game in little under 9 hours

inFamous is indeed an Action Adventure game, not really sure how you think otherwise. Darksiders is also an action adventure game. Dante's Inferno....well who really cares.

infamous is an open sandbox game. Adventure game usually requiers different and multiple levels instead of just one really huge one

Around the Network

I still have to give this a try

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Player1x3 said:
Tridrakious said:
Player1x3 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

inFamous isnt an action adventure game,  dont know about Darksiders, but danters Inferno is NO WHERE NEAR 15 hours long, I beat the game in little under 9 hours

inFamous is indeed an Action Adventure game, not really sure how you think otherwise. Darksiders is also an action adventure game. Dante's Inferno....well who really cares.

infamous is an open sandbox game. Adventure game usually requiers different and multiple levels instead of just one really huge one

wrong
sandbox/open word are types of "level designs"..nt genre. Games like inFamous/Assassins Creed/Darksiders ARE Action Adventure games. For example inFamous is a Sci Fi Action Adventure game which is open world

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

disolitude said:
Mordred11 said:
disolitude said:
Both games put me to sleep thanks to static camer, boring button mashing gameplay and focus QTE/cutscenes. But since God of War 3 did what God of War does, I can't fault it. LoS on the other hand...freekin hate its existance in the castlevania universe.

Dude I completely agree with you.LoS was released right after I finished playing Symphony  of the Night.

I loved SotN so much,that I rushed to the store and bought LoS.A few hours later,I couldn't believe just how much of a difference there is between the two.SotN is one of the best,if not THE best game ever made,while LoS feels like another average game,leaps and bounds behind the magic of the previous castlevania entries,let alone SotN.

Wow...I usually get slammed around here for putting down LoS. Didn't expect positive reinforcement. :)

But yeah I agree, you can't even compare the two. They are not from the same cloth of gameplay fundimentals and ideals... I'd be glad to forgive LoS for being different if it was exceptionally good, original or fresh, but it isn't. Just a mediocre hack and slash with really boring characters and dialoge (Why is the game so freekin serious?) and copycat "me too" gameplay and set pieces. How many times does LoS ask you to accomlish a simple task like knock down a tree and move a crank while infinite enemies keep respawning? Too many...and I finished less than half of the game before I gave up on it.

I loved Resident Evil 4 reboot even though it completely changed everything my favorite game series at the time was about...shame LoS couldn't pull that kind of magic out of its hat. I believe that the SotN metroidvania style formula would work wonderfully if done properly in 3D and current gen visuals and presentation. I mean look at Demons Souls. Its the best 3D castlevania game ever made and it ain't even Castlevania... :)

THIS, but really, i wish people would stop comparing everything to SOtN, we are not going to get another one of those. Stop asking! That game was too damn good. The best to hope for is that the DS games maintain there quality. 

OT i liked LoS alot better than i thought, but not as much as my friends. Its a weird game and i have to remind myself that Kojima was involved. Gabe sucks, Kratos is much cooler, but the supporting cast is better in LoS. There is more gameplay variety and i love the little chess game you play against the vamp girl. But the story is just not that good, and really, the ending was not that much of a shocker. If you couldnt see that coming from a mile away then you might need to read more. Its even less significant considering that LoS is not even canon, had it been that would have been amazing

Kasz216 said:

So basically his plan was similar to the last two seasons of Hercules the Legendary Journies.

Seems like further theory of my "The god of war team got it's ideas of Greek religion and the gods by watching Hercules the Legendary Journies."

They even got Kevin Sorbo to be Hercules.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Player1x3 said:
Tridrakious said:
Player1x3 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

wrong
sandbox/open word are types of "level designs"..nt genre. Games like inFamous/Assassins Creed/Darksiders ARE Action Adventure games. For example inFamous is a Sci Fi Action Adventure game which is open world

Thank you for pointing that out.