By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 and 3DS Both See 'Significant' Sales Bump, says GameStop, Target and Amazon

And the high sales era for PS3 and 3DS begin... read below.

PS3 and 3DS Both See 'Significant' Sales Bump, says GameStop

Following the release of its second-quarter earnings report, GameStop took the time to discuss on its conference call the impact it's been seeing on hardware sales after Nintendo slashed the price on 3DS and Sony brought down the price on PS3. The good news for both Nintendo and Sony is that the price cuts are certainly helping.

GameStop president Tony Bartel commented, "In terms of recent trends, clearly, we've had 2 major events recently with the price drop on the 3DS and the recent price drop on the PS3 platform. That has seen a significant increase in the rate of sale of those platforms, as you would expect. So we see that as a good barometer for what is going to take place in terms of the installed base in the back half of the year."

Bartel also noted that he's encouraged on the software front, saying "as we look out and we are forecasting that we will have more million-plus reservation titles, we clearly see reservations at a very strong clip currently."

The holiday season is shaping up to be a potentially huge one for the industry with more affordable hardware and many notable triple-A titles to entice consumers.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-and-3ds-both-see-significant-sales-bump-says-gamestop/

PS3 Enjoys 'Immediate Lift' in Sales at Target

PS3, by most accounts, was very much in need of a price cut. The console is being regularly outsold in North America by Xbox 360, and the last time Sony made any price reduction was back in 2009 when the slim model was introduced. Now at $249, PS3 is quickly getting a boost. GameStop commented on the "significant" rise earlier today, and now big box retailer Target has confirmed to IndustryGamers that it's also noticed an "immediate lift" for PS3, which it says is a "great option" for shoppers.

"At Target, we’ve seen an immediate lift in units sold since Tuesday's PS3 price-cut," a spokesperson commented. "With the functionality of the PS3 – built-in Blu-ray player, Netflix steaming capabilities, stereoscopic 3D – in addition to the new lower price and exciting software lineup for fall, PS3 is a great option for Target’s guests."

As the PS3 price point continues to come down, it certainly does raise the value proposition for consumers, especially if those consumers are in the market for a solid Blu-ray movie player as well.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-enjoys-immediate-lift-in-sales-at-target/

PS3 Sales on Amazon Jump 400% on Price Cut

PS3 is now $50 cheaper at $249 and Sony is hoping to get a big lift as the company enters the important fall and holiday shopping season. It looks like the price cut is already seeing some early returns, as sales jumped considerably on Amazon.com in the last 24 hours. Numerous PS3 hardware bundles and certain PS3 games have been selling at triple and quadruple their previous rates on Amazon.

The 320GB PS3 bundle with PlayStation Move is (as of this writing) up by 450% and the 160GB standalone PS3 is now up 366%. Interestingly, Sony's new inFamous 2 PS3 hardward bundle is now at the top of the list of Amazon's movers and shakers in games.

In terms of software, it would appear that many new PS3 owners are craving some good old Tomb Raider, as Tomb Raider Trilogy on PS3 shot up more than 1,000% and took second place on movers and shakers.

Generally speaking, PS3 could see an overall sales lift of 30%, according to Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-sales-on-amazon-jump-400-on-price-cut/

Around the Network

I can't wait to see the PS3 price-cut effect. And I expect 3DS numbers to go up still, too.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

You can't really say "high sales era" about 3DS yet, since it has to hold up, and without major incentives ATM, it can't.

please boost more so 360 will need a price-cut and i will gonna buy it 

Target now gamestop maybe 3DS is under tracked with the latest numbers.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network

Well with only 2 days at $179, the 3DS has jumped about 200% in weekly sales in Americas and EMEAA. I expect it to hold sales at 150k for another week or two then sell a little over 100k weekly for the rest of summer. Then as fall approaches, go up in sales due to strong software support.

As for PS3, since it's an older system, I only expect sales to jump 50% for a couple weeks, and then stabilize 25-30% higher then now, with sales increasing over the holidays. I expect 360 sales to drop up to 10% until they get their respective price cut. I predict that cut will happen a few days, or a week before the launch of Gears of War 3, and MS will market the heck out of a $150-$170 Arcade console.

For $150, I think everyone should get a 360. 4GB is plenty of memory since installs are not required on any 360 games, and load times are still noticeably shorter then PS3 titles. I still use my 12GB Hard drive, and all I need to do to maintain 2GB of memory is delete DLC for games 2 years or older which I don't play anymore. However I have a lot of DLC, so for most gamers, they will never have to do this. Worst case use a thumb drive to expand the memory.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

D-Joe said:

please boost more so 360 will need a price-cut and i will gonna buy it 

Don't you already have a 360?

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Lol I gave you guys confirmation of this long before the president announced this.

Told you we saw massive increases in 3DS sales and that Vgchartz has it undertracked.

I knew about 3DS, those sales were just unreal!
>:( at PS3 pricecut being huge

Even if 3DS is undertrack do you realy belive it can keep up this pace until the end of the year? Without games???