By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN UK Review: Xenoblade is the best JRPG of the generation

Closing Comments
Xenoblade Chronicles is the best Japanese RPG of this generation. The fact that it looks like it's from the last generation is its only drawback, but its technical limitations are offset by imaginative artistic direction, innovative and compelling combat, and thoughtful design. It's a throwback to the glory days of the genre, proof that there are always new ways to tell a story. If you've ever felt neglected by the lack of in-depth gaming epics on the Wii, you owe it to yourself to buy this.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               .
IGN UK Ratings for Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               .
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
8.5 Presentation
Beautiful design makes up for Xenoblade's graphical shortcomings – but it's disappointing that the dialogue isn't lip-synced.
7.0 Graphics
This is the best that the Wii can do, but it's not really up to modern standards. The artistic direction makes up for a lack of technical grunt.
8.5 Sound
A super, varied score with generally excellent localised voice acting. After 35 hours or so you'll have heard one or two of the battle themes a few too many times, though.
9.0 Gameplay
A fantastic battle system and literally hundreds of optional quests make this a more exciting experience minute-to-minute than most other games in its genre. There's repetition, but it doesn't grate.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
There's so much of Xenoblade Chronicles that you can't even tell when the end is in sight. A true epic.
OVERALL
Amazing
(out of 10)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1187845p1.html

Fuck you Reggie, fuck you.

Around the Network

Now we just need it to beat Chrono Trigger, and all is well with the World.

This is the best that the Wii can do, but it's not really up to modern standards. The artistic direction makes up for a lack of technical grunt. 7

Got to love IGN for such logical reasoning: It's the best on the Wii.. let's give it a 7..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Also, the graphics score is beyond stupid.

Has Xenoblade been put on that Dolphin emulator thing yet?

morenoingrato said:
Closing Comments
Xenoblade Chronicles is the best Japanese RPG of this generation. The fact that it looks like it's from the last generation is its only drawback, but its technical limitations are offset by imaginative artistic direction, innovative and compelling combat, and thoughtful design. It's a throwback to the glory days of the genre, proof that there are always new ways to tell a story. If you've ever felt neglected by the lack of in-depth gaming epics on the Wii, you owe it to yourself to buy this.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               .
IGN UK Ratings for Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               .
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
8.5 Presentation
Beautiful design makes up for Xenoblade's graphical shortcomings – but it's disappointing that the dialogue isn't lip-synced.
7.0 Graphics
This is the best that the Wii can do, but it's not really up to modern standards. The artistic direction makes up for a lack of technical grunt.
8.5 Sound
A super, varied score with generally excellent localised voice acting. After 35 hours or so you'll have heard one or two of the battle themes a few too many times, though.
9.0 Gameplay
A fantastic battle system and literally hundreds of optional quests make this a more exciting experience minute-to-minute than most other games in its genre. There's repetition, but it doesn't grate.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
There's so much of Xenoblade Chronicles that you can't even tell when the end is in sight. A true epic.
OVERALL
Amazing
(out of 10)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1187845p1.html

Fuck you Reggie, fuck you.

Operation :Import will commence shortly!...you will be in it!

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
I really don't get why they gave graphics such a low score. I don't recall any other high profile Wii titles being compared up against what the 360/PS3 are capable of technically... Seems really out of place. And it seriously is an incredibly impressive and beautiful title for the Wii.

Besides that.... DAMN! I want this and The Last Story in NA

Every high profile Wii game is compared against what the 360/PS3 are capable of technically, and docked points because of it.

That's mighty impressive I must say! Only 4 more days...

...for us Europeans!

I think they should compare the graphics to the PS3 / XBOX 360, I don't think graphics should be judged depending what system it is on.

Anyway, I really want to get this game, the reviews have been very positive so far. I'll need to pick up a Wii first though.

And for you Americans out there, Nintendo of America has no excuse for not releasing this game, teach them a lesson, hack and import.

And americans shouldn't import.. sales would rise in Europe because of this.. NOA see the sales in EU and releases it in the US were no one will buy it cause they already imported it.. best thing to do is sit back, whine like a little baby and look how awesome we Europeans are while playing this game..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

brendude13 said:

I think they should compare the graphics to the PS3 / XBOX 360, I don't think graphics should be judged depending what system it is on.

Anyway, I really want to get this game, the reviews have been very positive so far. I'll need to pick up a Wii first though.

And for you Americans out there, Nintendo of America has no excuse for not releasing this game, teach them a lesson, hack and import.

Then no console game would ever get a decent score on graphics. Wii games would get a 3 in graphics and the best 360/PS3 games would get a 6 or 7 at best.

It would be a rather silly thing to do, don't you think?