By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Any gun owners on VG?

Xen said:
*clicks on thread*
*clicks "back", slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwlllly*

A serious question: Why the hell do you guys need guns?

Well for many people its hunting or home defence, for me I'm just trying to find a new hobby. Maybe do target shooting and eventually skeet shooting. If I'm any good I could enter competitions. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I'm not a gun nut but I do own a few guns. I'm formally trained and proficient with them, too. At my job, we actually use modified weapons and shoot at each other for training purposes, quite often.

I own a Glock 17c 9mm, a Sig Sauer 40 cal, and a P32 that I've never shot--I don't know what caliber it is! I also own a shotgun that was issued to me on my last job (Sheriff's deputy) that they never even asked me to return. In fact, I have all of my cop stuff. The only reason I don't still have a Taser and a patrol car is that I voluntarily turned them in. My old boss actually wanted me to keep the car in case something happened and he needed to call in people in an emergency. Little did he know that, at the time, I had no intentions of ever returning!

How do you like the Glock 17? My friend that I took all the courses with is interested in that gun. 

Yeah I own a few guns, mainly hunting rifles. I started watching Topshot on Netflix and it has really got me back into the mood of shooting.

osamanobama said:
TadpoleJackson said:
osamanobama said:

still too hard though, especially in certain less pro 2nd ammendment places in the US

What part of the US do you live? It's quite easy to get guns on the east coast. 

Missouri, its actually not to hard here, surprisingly Jay Nixon (D) (our governor) has lessoned a lot of the gun restrictions, though he still hardly pro 2nd ammendment.

there used to be retarded restrictions on "assualt" weapons and things of that nature. but my main gripe is a 18 year even after classes cant get his CC until he's 21. also there are so many restrictions on where you can take it, even with a lisence. like having a rule/sign saying no guns allowed here is going to keep people who want to do harm from bringing their gun there. "sorry sir you cant go on your mass murdering rampage here, as you can see we have a sign that says no firearms, could you please go else where with your blood thirst, you will be braking our rule if you dont"

one question, do you allow to own automatic weapon such as ak47,acr, or g36c in the US

kickazz113 said:
osamanobama said:
TadpoleJackson said:
osamanobama said:

still too hard though, especially in certain less pro 2nd ammendment places in the US

What part of the US do you live? It's quite easy to get guns on the east coast. 

Missouri, its actually not to hard here, surprisingly Jay Nixon (D) (our governor) has lessoned a lot of the gun restrictions, though he still hardly pro 2nd ammendment.

there used to be retarded restrictions on "assualt" weapons and things of that nature. but my main gripe is a 18 year even after classes cant get his CC until he's 21. also there are so many restrictions on where you can take it, even with a lisence. like having a rule/sign saying no guns allowed here is going to keep people who want to do harm from bringing their gun there. "sorry sir you cant go on your mass murdering rampage here, as you can see we have a sign that says no firearms, could you please go else where with your blood thirst, you will be braking our rule if you dont"

one question, do you allow to own automatic weapon such as ak47,acr, or g36c in the US

Yep.  You can own nearly any weapon as long as it isn't full auto.  AK 47's, AR-15's (civilian equivalent of an M-16) and other assault weapons are just fine.

"Some of you are thinking that you won't fight. Others, that you can't fight. They all say that, until they're out there."
--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER

Around the Network

Don't own one, but I am looking into getting a gun for the purpose of home defense. For anyone here with some experience, what would be a decent gun for that purpose? Keep in mind that I don't have any real experience to go on here so whatever it is it has to be beginner friendly.

This would be something just for home defense and fire range use so I have some comfort level actually using it.

I own a Sig Sauer SP 2022 9mm handgun, a 30-06 cal. rifle with an 18 power scope (I'm pretty accurate from about 350 yds in), and a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun.  I recently got my concealed carry permit so I can pack heat.  I'm looking into getting an AR-15 kit and assembling it myself.  Fun gun to shoot.

To the person that asked why we love guns in America?  First of all, only about 25% of the American public are gun owners and far less than that have concealed carrry permits.  But to answer the question about why we love guns, it's hard to explain to someone that either didn't grow up around them, or isn't currently around them.  It's exhilerating to fire your weapon down range on target or to hunt prey with it.  In my experience the difference between gun owners and non gun owners is how they view a weapon.  My 5 year old son knows more about my 9mm pistol than my neighbor does because I've taught him about it and he's seen me shoot it.  He knows what it is capable of and not to touch it.  Most non gun owners are afraid of guns.  Guns are scary to them because they haven't been exposed to them.  I respect what my guns are capable of but I don't fear them.  Hopefully that makes some sense to you.

"Some of you are thinking that you won't fight. Others, that you can't fight. They all say that, until they're out there."
--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER

DarthVolod said:

Don't own one, but I am looking into getting a gun for the purpose of home defense. For anyone here with some experience, what would be a decent gun for that purpose? Keep in mind that I don't have any real experience to go on here so whatever it is it has to be beginner friendly.

This would be something just for home defense and fire range use so I have some comfort level actually using it.

I really like my Sig Sauer 9mm.  I looked for a couple of months before I settled on it.  It's a full size pistol but can still be concealed, though probably not a big deal to you unless you plan on carrying.  People will argue over the caliber and it's knock down power if you ever needed to use it for home defense, but it is more about the ammo you use than the gun.  I prefer the 9mm over the .45 because I shoot a much tighter group due to the smaller recoil.  Also my mag holds 15 rounds versus the average .45 which holds around 8.  I would recommend a Single Action pistol whatever you choose.

If you want a really safe gun you might look into the Springfield XD.  It has 3 safety mechanisms and two of which need to be pressed simultaneously in order for the gun to fire.  My Sig is more of a military style gun in that once I pull the slide back and pop one in the chamber it's ready to fire.  No safety switch, though it does have a decocker.  I like the polymer grip and light weight of my Sig as well.

Ultimately I would see which pistol feels the best in your hand.  The grips, sights and frames all make a difference.  Have fun!

--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER

@Marks, like I said, I'm not a gun fanatic so I can't tell you how it compares to many different weapons. I've shot a 9mm Taurus, the 40 Cal Sig, and the Glock 17 and let me say that I prefer the Glock BY FAR. Trigger pull feels perfect, unlike the other two whose triggers require so much effort that they can actually throw your aim off. It's very reliable and doesn't seem to recoil at all, either (Sig hurts my wrist when I fire with the weak hand).

I qualified with the Glock with a 98% accuracy (out of 30 rounds, all of them hit center of the target--one round was barely below the box in the middle). I shoot the Sig far more often and I'm just happy if I can get everything in the grey (I'll have to post a pic of our targets so you know what I mean. I think they're TQ-19 but I'm not positive- -and I'm posting from my phone, on my job). I love my Glock.

Here's the guy.  I know him very well.

Marks said:
brendude13 said:
Marks said:

Hey I was just curious whether anyone else here on VG is into guns, hunting, shooting, etc. I just recently finished all the necessary courses and sent away all the paperwork to get my PAL (Posession and Acquisition Licence) in Canada so I'm not far from getting my licence and getting my first gun!

Anyone already own a gun (or multiple guns)? I'm looking at buying a Russian SKS as my first gun. Its only around $250-300 in Canada and I've heard its reliable and fairly accurate. I'm also looking into handguns, possibly the CZ 75B and/or a Tokarev TT-33. 

Whatever, I just wondered how popular guns are on this site. Not sure how gun ownership works in Europe but in Canada and USA its not that hard to get guns. 

Well I'm British, so the only guns we can have are either shotguns or .22 rifles with a license.

Aah that's too bad. A lot more strict than Canada. Here the only things that are prohibited are fully automatic guns and pistols that are less than 4 inches (too easy to conceal I guess). 

I'm pretty jealous. If I could move anywhere in the world it would be Canada.

There are some details I forgot, shotguns are not allowed to hold more than 2 shells without reloading (the shell in the barrell doesn't count), so if you bought a pump action shotgun in the UK, you could only fire 3 rounds before having to reload. Sawn-off shotguns are banned too.