By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Xenoblade be the first/one of the few console JRPGs this gen to hit 90+?

I'm thinking it will end up at 88. That would be equivalent to 100% for a disliked genre on a disliked console (which is both in Xenoblade's case). It's not like this game is a shooter on the Xbox 360.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

Guys what's with the assumption that because it's a Wii game it gets marked down more? I don't find any truth to it by looking at actual scores on metacritic except for Mario Kart Wii which I find very underrated.

Boutros said:
Guys what's with the assumption that because it's a Wii game it gets marked down more? I don't find any truth to it by looking at actual scores on metacritic except for Mario Kart Wii which I find very underrated.

because to them the games certainly don't deserve the score averages and so it must be anti Wii bias also you should hope its a success ,i have put up for years games getting a NTSC release and no PAL release but hope they are succesful enough  in NA to get picked up. The thing that gets on my goat is getting the 3rd or so game in a series as the first title and then being told we dont support them.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Developers said that the game, in the Xeno-timeline, is before Xenogears and Xenosaga, not me.

I, that i'm in Italy, will go get this for sure in September 2, not in August, because in my country retailers close in some parts of the year.....delusion.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

Sounds great so far.
Just one week to go before I get to try it out myself.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Boutros said:

Well, you are biased against the Wii yourself, so it's logical that you won't find more examples beyond Mario Kart Wii.

In your case, I would say it's better to approach this issue from a reversed angle: How many games on the HD consoles can you find that seem to be overrated and then compare that number to the Wii games that seem to be overrated.

I'm not biased against the Wii. What does that even mean?

And what would that comparison tell me? I found 4 overrated Wii games and 5 overrated PS3 games. Then what?

RolStoppable said:
You have a game in a genre that many reviewers have a bias against on a console that many reviewers have a bias against, so the answer is no.

These early reviews are much more favorable, because they aren't done by Americans (and it's their reviews who count for the Metascore).

That's ridiculous.

All reviews should count, not just ones from one particular country.

Anyway, if anything I think the reviews would be better because it's on the Wii, it's one of the only JRPG's it has. If it was on the PS3 / XBOX 360 where it would be compared to Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy XIII etc. then the reviewers wouldn't rate it as high.

RolStoppable said:
Boutros said:
RolStoppable said:

Well, you are biased against the Wii yourself, so it's logical that you won't find more examples beyond Mario Kart Wii.

In your case, I would say it's better to approach this issue from a reversed angle: How many games on the HD consoles can you find that seem to be overrated and then compare that number to the Wii games that seem to be overrated.

I'm not biased against the Wii. What does that even mean?

And what would that comparison tell me? I found 4 overrated Wii games and 5 overrated PS3 games. Then what?

For example, if somebody talked equally smack about the Wii and PS3, you might ignore it for the Wii, but would step in to defend the PS3. In other words, something bad happening to the Wii would be less of an issue for you than something bad happening to the PS3.

The comparison would tell you that there is indeed a double standard applied when it comes to games on the Wii and other consoles, because reviewers tend to overlook more flaws on systems that are not the Wii. Also, if you do such a comparison, then at least do it properly. Don't just look at the Wii and PS3, look at the Wii, the PS3 and the 360.

If someone bashed the Wii and the PS3 I would equally not care quite frankly lol. I do it all the time with the DS and the PSP and I don't expect people to care. I have my own experiences with the Wii and the PS3 and I can finds flaws and strengths to the both of them. With such analysis I can come up with preferences but it does not mean I have a bias agaisnt either of them. A bias emerges from an irrational source and that's not the case with me.

And I can only attest to games I have played so since I don't have a 360 I don't see how I could know whether a 360 game is overrated or not, no?

RolStoppable said:
brendude13 said:
RolStoppable said:
You have a game in a genre that many reviewers have a bias against on a console that many reviewers have a bias against, so the answer is no.

These early reviews are much more favorable, because they aren't done by Americans (and it's their reviews who count for the Metascore).

That's ridiculous.

All reviews should count, not just ones from one particular country.

Anyway, if anything I think the reviews would be better because it's on the Wii, it's one of the only JRPG's it has. If it was on the PS3 / XBOX 360 where it would be compared to Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy XIII etc. then the reviewers wouldn't rate it as high.

It's the way the system works. If the review isn't in English, then it doesn't count (unless Metacritic has changed that already).

Xenoblade has been compared to HD JRPGs in its reviews, so it's not like it has been rated in a vacuum. It should tell you something, if a Wii game gets compared to the best the HD consoles have to offer and still comes out on top or is at least being rated similarly.

Hmm, I don't know really, if that console is lacking a game in a particular genre, when it finally gets it the review scores are usually inflated.

I would have said Goldeneye 007 but reviews weren't exactly great for that game.

RolStoppable said:
Boutros said:

If someone bashed the Wii and the PS3 I would equally not care quite frankly lol. I do it all the time with the DS and the PSP and I don't expect people to care. I have my own experiences with the Wii and the PS3 and I can finds flaws and strengths to the both of them. With such analysis I can come up with preferences but it does not mean I have a bias agaisnt either of them. A bias emerges from an irrational source and that's not the case with me.

And I can only attest to games I have played so since I don't have a 360 I don't see how I could know whether a 360 game is overrated or not, no?

If you can't know about 360 games, then you also can't say for sure whether or not a bias against the Wii exists. It's possible that reviewers at large greatly prefer the 360 which could inevitably lead to a bias against the PS3 and also the Wii.

I acknowledge that some reviewers might be biased but you guys are talking about mass bias agaisnt the Wii as if it were every critics. There's no proof of that. It's thus wrong to assume that Xenoblade will be marked down just for being a Wii game.