By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should health care be private or public?

Which medical system do you prefer!

Public - all citizens hav... 51 55.43%

Private - citizens with c... 5 5.43%

Both, better treatment fo... 30 32.61%

Other (please explain in thread) 6 6.52%

Total:92

A mix of public and private is the best option.

While the more wealthy citizens can go with private doctors, hospitals etc, getting fast treatments for their diseases with a zero cost for the government, the rest of the citizens can go to the public health service and, while taking longer to get recovered, still getting all the treatments we need.

In my opinion. all of us that have grown up in a country with a good public health service can't really appreciate how lucky we are.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I agree with many that your poll is putting assumptions and generalizing too much. First of all in the US people that have no health coverage and are poor don't get denied treatment. If a patient comes into the emergency room with a major wound or with a life threatening issue with no insurance the nurses and doctors are not just going to say, "Oh well you can't pay so your screwed. I guess you are just going to have to die!" No hospital is going to refuse care to someone in an emergency situation. They will get treatment.

Most of the time in many hospitals those bills get written off. You also forget the US has a system called medicaid which a lot of low income families are on. That is funded by tax payer dollars. So in all actuallity with the free market system of the US the more wealthy people are already providing the healthcare for low income families and individuals through taxes. So your entire premise in the poll is incorrect when discussing this about the US.

Allfreedom99 said:
I agree with many that your poll is putting assumptions and generalizing too much. First of all in the US people that have no health coverage and are poor don't get denied treatment. If a patient comes into the emergency room with a major wound or with a life threatening issue with no insurance the nurses and doctors are not just going to say, "Oh well you can't pay so your screwed. I guess you are just going to have to die!" No hospital is going to refuse care to someone in an emergency situation. They will get treatment.

Most of the time in many hospitals those bills get written off. You also forget the US has a system called medicaid which a lot of low income families are on. That is funded by tax payer dollars. So in all actuallity with the free market system of the US the more wealthy people are already providing the healthcare for low income families and individuals through taxes. So your entire premise in the poll is incorrect when discussing this about the US.

Do you mean that all those movie dramas and TV/newspaper articles about people dying of cancer/other diseases because of no insurance are false?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

SpartenOmega117 said:
While I was volunteering at Baylor Medical Center this summer many Doctors were not happy about this. It seems like Doctors will start having to work a lot more as well as receive less pay. Sometimes they may even have to do surgery for free a heart surgeon told me.

Than your talking to some selfish doctors. If i had the power to save a life i would, getting paid or not. Private health care dosnt benefit the citizens only greedy people and corporations.  Well w.e Cubans have better healthcare than Amercia. That really shows the benefits of private healthcare over public.

Allfreedom99 said:

You could not be more misinformed. Please watch Sicko and come back and say what you just said.

Around the Network

Healthcare should be public. It should be every country's responsibility that it's citizens are healthy and can receive help whenever health is at risk.

Public, everyone should be treated equal. It saves a lot of paperwork too if nobody has to deal with insurance, premium packages, workers comp and what not.

I live in Canada and most of healthcare is free here. It's still far from perfect with doctors leaving to the states for better pay, long waiting times at the ER and family doctors. Medicine, although a lot cheaper here, is not covered. It can get pretty expensive for people having to live with diabetes or heart medication.

Dentist visits are not covered either, nor eye exams any longer. The latter should be free and obligatory when you renew your drivers license imo.

Maybe a system could be implemented that discourages unhealthy lifestyles. If you're not willing to make lifestyle changes and take care of yourself then you have to pay. Get in an accident while drunk, you get the bill.

the health system should be a mix of both systems. It must be public but with the quality of the private. I know that is very idealistic, but it must happen, because a country in where its citizens have a good health, is a country that will eventually get richer. But, it must be used in a clever way, if not the country will get poorer.

The pillars to have a great society on any country are, good health, food, good education and a good family environment. One thing without the other is a waste. It is like buying a tank, without having air-force to defend your tank; so you also need to buy some planes.

In other words having a public health system is not the solution on its own of any problem. Because without education people will most of the times do stupid things that will go against their health, thus using the health system more => wasting money in nonsense that could be avoided. If you don't eat what your body requires, you will eventually go to a hospital because of malnutrition, among other things => wasting money that could be used in other things . And if a father or stepfather tries to kill/rape his son/daughter/wife, the kid/woman will go to a hospital, and the father will go to jail => wasting money on 2 fronts and not only one.

So if you want to make a change you have to go all the way and change it all, if not it would be better to do nothing (less stress => better health lol).

Whichever works best for the country it's being implemented in.

Many govermental policies aren't one size fits all type deals.

For example, with public healthcare, it seems like the bigger the population, the harder it is to implement and the worse the results. 

No reason to implement a public system if it's just going to drag down the quality of care for future generations due to costs and loss of technological funding.

I don't think in any case though the government should prevent someone who could pay for better treatment from getting it and healthcare should be provided to those who can't afford it.  Personal opinions though.

Entirely private. It is not the government's responsibility.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius