By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should health care be private or public?

Which medical system do you prefer!

Public - all citizens hav... 51 55.43%

Private - citizens with c... 5 5.43%

Both, better treatment fo... 30 32.61%

Other (please explain in thread) 6 6.52%

Total:92

I don't think I'd be able to live in the US where there is the constant threat of having to pay literally $1000s for even simple accidents. Heck, they even have to pay for rescue helicopters etc when they're rescued :S

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

It's gotta be both. A fully public system can't meet the health needs (and wants) of everyone. So those who can afford it should be able to get their health care outside the public system. That way the public system can serve those who need to use it better. But even those who generally use the private system still have access to public health care, esp when it comes to emergency services.

Besides you can't restrict people's freedom of choice. And that includes doctors who want to work outside of the public system.

We've always had a mix of private and public, and by and large it works OK. It also keeps insurance premiums low, because insurance companies have to make private insurance attractive enough for people to pay for what they can get through their tax dollars (albeit sometimes the care they need comes a slower than in the private system).

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

radishhead said:
I don't think I'd be able to live in the US where there is the constant threat of having to pay literally $1000s for even simple accidents. Heck, they even have to pay for rescue helicopters etc when they're rescued :S

According to the circumstances I'm not against that.

Sure, if it's the rescue of the crew of a fishing boat that has wrecked then it has to be free, no doubt about that. But the rescue of a bunch of snowboarders that have an accident/get lost while going off piste even though they were warned not to do it, then yes, they have to pay for this because it is their fault.

And that's why in some countries people going off piste or doing mountain activities must get an insurance.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.