By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should health care be private or public?

Which medical system do you prefer!

Public - all citizens hav... 51 55.43%

Private - citizens with c... 5 5.43%

Both, better treatment fo... 30 32.61%

Other (please explain in thread) 6 6.52%

Total:92

Its sort of a no brainer to me being Canadian. However when Obama recently went on that health binge talking about citizens right to free or public health care. I was suprised at how many people thought poor people and people with mental handicaps didn't deserve health care. I even once heard somebody tell me "If you can't afford health care then you don't deserve to live".

Seeing as how it has been an area for debate in the US and even a bit in Canada I thought it would be nice to find out what the good ol members of VGChartz think.

Should wehave a

(Public healthcare system - Where all hospitals and doctors and such are paid by the Government and all citizens regardless of wealth are given the same treatment. A system similiar to Canada.

A private health care system - Similiar to the old US one where if you can't afford medical insurance and such you don't get treatment. Basically if your poor your left for dead.

Or both - A system where those who have money can go to a private healthcare facility for faster and better treatment and those who can't afford the private hospitals are sent to public ones.

I am interested in hearing what kind of medical system you think should be implemented in your country or in all countries?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Public health care so people actually get to be healthy while jobless.
Allowing people to pay for faster/better care is good, too. Better let people pay here in Canada to get treatment rather than let them travel cross border to spend money in US.

depends on the soceity

for countries like China,Russia,few european countries,australia.it is fine

but for countries like USA where there are big income differences and class based soceities,it is wrong as one side of the soceity works and other side doesn't

There you go again with the loaded poll.

Is it that hard to make the options simply

Public
Private
Mixed
Other (please explain)

Without putting your opinion in with the answers?

As for me I'm a fan of a mixed system with a strong public healthcare system but private for those who want to skip the waiting list.

While I was volunteering at Baylor Medical Center this summer many Doctors were not happy about this. It seems like Doctors will start having to work a lot more as well as receive less pay. Sometimes they may even have to do surgery for free a heart surgeon told me.

Around the Network
Rath said:

Public
Private
Mixed
Other (please explain)

As for me I'm a fan of a mixed system with a strong public healthcare system but private for those who want to skip the waiting list.

This!

Seeing how the US has the one of the worst healthcare systems in the Western world and still manages to spend the most on it per capita (??), I would go for public.

Edit: And yeah, you should edit the poll and let people give you their own reasons.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

kowenicki said:
Rath said:

Public

Private
Mixed
Other (please explain)

Exactly.

In the UK we have both...  I still have to pay my contributions to the public system, but I also choose to have a private plan. 

Your mixed option has an opinion in it that stops me from clicking it.

Man I guess I did load the poll abit. Maybe I do over think things when I create the polls. However that is exactly how the system works does it not? If not that would be a great topic for discussion here in this thread.

-JC7

kowenicki said:
Joelcool7 said:
kowenicki said:
Rath said:

Public

Private
Mixed
Other (please explain)

Exactly.

In the UK we have both...  I still have to pay my contributions to the public system, but I also choose to have a private plan. 

Your mixed option has an opinion in it that stops me from clicking it.

Man I guess I did load the poll abit. Maybe I do over think things when I create the polls. However that is exactly how the system works does it not? If not that would be a great topic for discussion here in this thread.

Not really.

In the UK if I go private I will almost always see the same consultant as I would if I went the public "free" route....  I just see the consultant slightly quicker (except in emergency cases where you cant "queue jump") and I will get to recover in a more comfortable and luxurious hospital.

The actual treatment is unlikley to be much different, and the person performing the op will usually be the same person.

Huh interesting. The biggest fear in Canada is that wealthy people will get better treatment then the average citizen. Now you sorta confirm that a bit with the luxurious Hospital the question is how bad would the normal hospital be in comparison? I know my doctor wants private system because he says he'd make a crap load more money and that he'd leave the public system. If all the doctors left the public system for private due to higher pay and such the only ones who would be left wouldn't really give patients the same level of care.

I know here in my province the Liberal Government wants a private system running alongside the public. Their are already private clinics that will do non-life threatening proceedures for money. If you want to get a non-life threatening surgery done faster you can go to a private clinic. But that still seems wrong to me why should someone with more money be allowed to get his surgery faster then someone without?

I think it just goes against how I was raised and the fundementals of Canada's medical system. Though if I was sick and on a waiting list I would be tempted to skip the line if I had the cash. But I do think that it is wrong to treat me or anyone else differently because they have money.

-JC7

should remake the poll. it ruins your thread