By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Man gone a month a 3DS goes to hell in a hens basket, what all did I miss?

The 3ds now serves an  additional new purpose from the ds. That is to get the ds audience to feel comfortable playing 3d games. Thats the whole purpose of adding adjustable stereoscopic 3d to it, similar to why they added the touch screen to the ds(and yes people at the time around launch were convinced that touch screen was a gimmick as well).

For example they want a 3d mario to sell like a 2d mario.

At the same time 3ds is serving the casual purposes of the original ds even better(because it a can do everything the ds can and more after all)

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/04/26/nintendogs-cats-is-first-3ds-million-seller-3ds-system-sales-are-over-3-million.htm

Now considering the 3ds has only around 4 mil units out there. That number is incredible. The casuals seems love 3d.

So if you still dont understand its like this, the ds served all the purposes of the gba and added a new(bring in casual gamers with ease of use with the touch screen), now 3ds serves all the purposes of the ds and added a new(get casuals to play 3d games because they can now perceive depth, so they wont be confuse whats where.)
I reckon brainage like games are now gonna be digital only, this was already so with the dsi.
And lastly nintendo seems even more secretive than ever with game announcements(eg mario 3d land was first revealed this year and is launching this same year). And this is even worse for casual games as it makes no sense to have big announcements for those games as they wont even hear it. So there is no way to tell what they are working on unless u have inside information.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
RolStoppable said:

Read his post again and put two and two together. It really isn't hard.

I read his post, i just dont agree with it. I think NINty is trying to get all the audiences with the 3DS, something they didnt have with the Wii. But its still to early to tell. I could be wrong

You are wrong.

prove it

Erik Aston said:
oniyide said:
RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

How do you know they are leaving the audiences??? THe system just came out, you have no idea what Ninty has coming down the pipe. How about the direction of the 3DS is to provide not only the same games they provided on DS plus some core games that were not able to be done for the DS. Hell that could be a problem itself, maybe people think its too similiar to the DS they already own and see no need to update

Read his post again and put two and two together. It really isn't hard.

I read his post, i just dont agree with it. I think NINty is trying to get all the audiences with the 3DS, something they didnt have with the Wii. But its still to early to tell. I could be wrong

Do you agree with this statement:?

Whether Nintendo is abandoning their customers will be evident just by looking at the games they made for DS vs. what they are making for 3DS.

After all, you said this:

The direction of the 3DS is to provide not only 1.) the same games they provided on DS plus 2.) some core games that were not able to be done for the DS.

The evidence I provided in my post shows that Nintendo is NOT making "the same games they provided on DS."

Having lived through the DS explosion, I believe the three pillars of DS success to be "non-games", top-down RPGs, and 2D action/platform games. These games are not on 3DS and are not announced for 2011, and the best you can do is to say "you have no idea what Ninty has coming down the pipe." Well, I do know that "non-games," top-down RPGs and 2D action/platform games were not made for 3DS' first year. And 3DS is "going to hell in a hens basket."

Nintendogs, animal crossing, the sims, doctor lautrec, pilotwings, deca sports there are your non-games.   Tales of Abyss, shin megemi tensei, those are your RPGs, which take time to make and Ninty doesnt really make those anyway.  Raving Rabbids, Contra 3ds, Sonic Generations, Paper Mario, Frogger, Shinobi. Those are your 2d action/platform. So your argument of those games not being made is simply false

oniyide said:
Erik Aston said:

Whether Nintendo is abandoning their customers will be evident just by looking at the games they made for DS vs. what they are making for 3DS.

The direction of the 3DS is to provide not only 1.) the same games they provided on DS plus 2.) some core games that were not able to be done for the DS.

The evidence I provided in my post shows that Nintendo is NOT making "the same games they provided on DS."

Having lived through the DS explosion, I believe the three pillars of DS success to be "non-games", top-down RPGs, and 2D action/platform games. These games are not on 3DS and are not announced for 2011, and the best you can do is to say "you have no idea what Ninty has coming down the pipe." Well, I do know that "non-games," top-down RPGs and 2D action/platform games were not made for 3DS' first year. And 3DS is "going to hell in a hens basket."

Nintendogs, animal crossing, the sims, doctor lautrec, pilotwings, deca sports there are your non-games.   Tales of Abyss, shin megemi tensei, those are your RPGs, which take time to make and Ninty doesnt really make those anyway.  Raving Rabbids, Contra 3ds, Sonic Generations, Paper Mario, Frogger, Shinobi. Those are your 2d action/platform. So your argument of those games not being made is simply false

Those are some pretty terrible examples. First of all, we're talking about Nintendo abandoning their customers, and the games I listed were all Nintendo-published. Secondly, calling a 3D flight game or a sports compilation "non-games" is absurd, as is calling Paper Mario a 2D action/platform game, or listing the Sims or Frogger as anything other than 3rd rate, 3rd party schluff that is released for every system. Does 3DS have Madden and Namco Collection too?

Be honest. What is the direction Nintendo is really pushing? Pilotwings, 3D Mario, Ocarina, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox. These games represent the main effort from Nintendo for 3DS' first year. They are sequels or remakes to 3D games which failed to sell SNES, N64 or Gamecube systems. The sequels to Brain Age, NSMB, Animal Crossing, or second tier efforts like Flash Focus, Big Brain Academy or Math Training, were not planned for 3DS' first year. And the first year of 3DS is so far an unmitigated disaster that has required a 1/3rd price drop, giving away 20 free games, and the CEO of the company to take a 50% salary reduction.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
oniyide said:
Erik Aston said:

Those are some pretty terrible examples. First of all, we're talking about Nintendo abandoning their customers, and the games I listed were all Nintendo-published. Secondly, calling a 3D flight game or a sports compilation "non-games" is absurd, as is calling Paper Mario a 2D action/platform game, or listing the Sims or Frogger as anything other than 3rd rate, 3rd party schluff that is released for every system. Does 3DS have Madden and Namco Collection too?

Be honest. What is the direction Nintendo is really pushing? Pilotwings, 3D Mario, Ocarina, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox. These games represent the main effort from Nintendo for 3DS' first year. They are sequels or remakes to 3D games which failed to sell SNES, N64 or Gamecube systems. The sequels to Brain Age, NSMB, Animal Crossing, or second tier efforts like Flash Focus, Big Brain Academy or Math Training, were not planned for 3DS' first year. And the first year of 3DS is so far an unmitigated disaster that has required a 1/3rd price drop, giving away 20 free games, and the CEO of the company to take a 50% salary reduction.

You said that these kinds of games were not being made, whether they are of "quality" or not is in the eye of the beholder. PilotWings is a flight sim?? Its like an arcady version of the flight games ive played for PC. But whatever, i'll concede to your point.

As for your 2nd paragraph, Ninty is known to play things close to the chest. YOu cannot know for sure that those Brain train etc. games are not coming, for all we know they are shipping them to their online store to compete with the IOS market. But for arguments sake, i'll agree with you. but me personally i dont care. Those games you listed are games i WANT to play. The Big Brain, Flash Math, whatever are things i could give a crap about. If i want to play those i have a smart phone and the games are cheaper. Thats me. If this is the direction Ninty is taking im all for it. If they dont sell as much as the DS?? Oh well, i care about games not stocks

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
oniyide said:
Erik Aston said:

Well 3D Mario and Zelda sell well. They also released Nintendogs and they're doing Mario Kart. I think it's a much more rounded lineup than the first year of the original DS. They're certainly going to have some big sellers in the two Mario titles this holiday season. Those are the hardware pushers. Other software will pick up as those games sell the hardware.

oniyide said:
Erik Aston said:

You said that these kinds of games were not being made, whether they are of "quality" or not is in the eye of the beholder. PilotWings is a flight sim?? Its like an arcady version of the flight games ive played for PC. But whatever, i'll concede to your point.

As for your 2nd paragraph, Ninty is known to play things close to the chest. YOu cannot know for sure that those Brain train etc. games are not coming, for all we know they are shipping them to their online store to compete with the IOS market. But for arguments sake, i'll agree with you. but me personally i dont care. Those games you listed are games i WANT to play. The Big Brain, Flash Math, whatever are things i could give a crap about. If i want to play those i have a smart phone and the games are cheaper. Thats me. If this is the direction Ninty is taking im all for it. If they dont sell as much as the DS?? Oh well, i care about games not stocks

The list of games I posted was of Nintendo-published games that sold 1 million copies. Because the games were Nintendo published, that shows that Nintendo viewed those as part of the strategy for the system. The fact that they partnered with Enix to publish Dragon Quest games, and made a bunch of Pokemon brand dungeon crawlers etc., shows that top down RPGs was part of the strategy for the system. The fact that the games sold 1 million copies indicates that customers bought them, and the fact that sequels repeatedly sold 1 million copies indicates that customers liked them. If Nintendo were responding to their customers instead of abandoning them, those would be the types of games they would continue to make for 3DS. You cannot do better than to say that Nintendo might release non-games like Brain Age as downloadable games, some time in the future. You are conceding that Nintendo are not responding to customers, but saying that maybe they aren't abandoning them. Is existing in a nebulous middle ground any better than actual abandonment?

Of course it is totally fine if you like any game to go ahead and play it, and if you like a lot of games on 3DS to play 3DS. You're an individual, and we're talking about harmless entertainment products. Enjoy whatever you enjoy.

But making the comment "But for arguments sake, I'll agree with you" and then proceeding not to make an argument... It made me smile.

I think we're done here, and I will reiterate this: Nintendo are likely to make a 3DS sequel for any DS mega-hit, or any highly profitable DS game, which is why I am also talking about the overall direction of the company and their strategy for the system. It's easy to grab a huge hit like Brain Age and say "of course they will make one for 3DS," but will they make that type of game part of the strategy beyond the flagship titles? 3D Mario and zelda are the flagship 3D action/adventure games, but Pilotwings, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion... These are things that did not appear on Wii or DS.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
oniyide said:
Erik Aston said:

The list of games I posted was of Nintendo-published games that sold 1 million copies. Because the games were Nintendo published, that shows that Nintendo viewed those as part of the strategy for the system. The fact that they partnered with Enix to publish Dragon Quest games, and made a bunch of Pokemon brand dungeon crawlers etc., shows that top down RPGs was part of the strategy for the system. The fact that the games sold 1 million copies indicates that customers bought them, and the fact that sequels repeatedly sold 1 million copies indicates that customers liked them. If Nintendo were responding to their customers instead of abandoning them, those would be the types of games they would continue to make for 3DS. You cannot do better than to say that Nintendo might release non-games like Brain Age as downloadable games, some time in the future. You are conceding that Nintendo are not responding to customers, but saying that maybe they aren't abandoning them. Is existing in a nebulous middle ground any better than actual abandonment?

Of course it is totally fine if you like any game to go ahead and play it, and if you like a lot of games on 3DS to play 3DS. You're an individual, and we're talking about harmless entertainment products. Enjoy whatever you enjoy.

But making the comment "But for arguments sake, I'll agree with you" and then proceeding not to make an argument... It made me smile.

I think we're done here, and I will reiterate this: Nintendo are likely to make a 3DS sequel for any DS mega-hit, or any highly profitable DS game, which is why I am also talking about the overall direction of the company and their strategy for the system. It's easy to grab a huge hit like Brain Age and say "of course they will make one for 3DS," but will they make that type of game part of the strategy beyond the flagship titles? 3D Mario and zelda are the flagship 3D action/adventure games, but Pilotwings, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion... These are things that did not appear on Wii or DS.

WHen i said i agree, i said that i agree that they are not making these Brain Train whatever games for now. i think its a little silly to determine the future of a system's software when the system has only been around for a few months. If by next year we dont see these popular non games or whatever being announced or coming to 3DS then there would be cause for concern