By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Man gone a month a 3DS goes to hell in a hens basket, what all did I miss?

Galaki said:
Sony/Microsoft pricecut: awesome
Nintendo pricecut: d0med

An 80 dollar price cut a few months after release is a disaster. It spells desperation.

Around the Network
maverick40 said:

They havnt released a new IP in years. They are only inovative in the hardware side of things. They have been relying on a few main franchises and rehashes for the last few generation.

Just 2 huge examples to point out you're wrong.

What's the first game that originally came with the Wii? Is that new IP?

What's the game that came with a hardware add-on that outsold PS3 for a while?

There are many more smaller IP's that you also conviently ignored.

maverick40 said:
Galaki said:

An 80 dollar price cut a few months after release is a disaster. It spells desperation.

Nope, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Was the Iphone price cut a disaster, and spell desperation? And please don't give me "those were special/different circumstances", there are lots of special/different circumstances here as well.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
maverick40 said:
Galaki said:

Nope, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Was the Iphone price cut a disaster, and spell desperation? And please don't give me "those were special/different circumstances", there are lots of special/different circumstances here as well.

Well why did they cut the price then? Why did the suddenly cut the price so that now nintendo are making a loss off each console sold? Is it because they are flying out the door?Is it because amazing games are being released on it? This has nothing got to do with the iphone, ye guys are hilarious. I will spell it out for you.......................ARROGANCE!!!

You think they would have learned from Sonys epic fail but they didn't.

Galaki said:
maverick40 said:

They havnt released a new IP in years. They are only inovative in the hardware side of things. They have been relying on a few main franchises and rehashes for the last few generation.

Hilarious that you actually mentioned a collection of mini games that came with the console itself. The fact is, they have relied on the same ip's for the last few generations. They tried to innovate with metroid:other m but it failed big time. As a wii owner myself, i struggle to find good games other than the usual first party franchises we see on nintendo consoles. Where is the first party fps games, where is the uncharted beater? The nintendo infamous?

Around the Network
maverick40 said:

Hilarious that you actually mentioned a collection of mini games that came with the console itself. The fact is, they have relied on the same ip's for the last few generations. They tried to innovate with metroid:other m but it failed big time. As a wii owner myself, i struggle to find good games other than the usual first party franchises we see on nintendo consoles. Where is the first party fps games, where is the uncharted beater? The nintendo infamous?

The clostest to fps game from first party is Metroid Prime. AFAIK, Nintendo just isn't into fps or something like that.

Is Nintendo fully at fault for not having great 3rd parties games?

Mini games are fine, they carter to different audiences. I am not into mini games neither but that doesn't mean mini games shouldn't exist.

maverick40 said:
bmmb1 said:
maverick40 said:
Galaki said:

Well why did they cut the price then? Why did the suddenly cut the price so that now nintendo are making a loss off each console sold? Is it because they are flying out the door?Is it because amazing games are being released on it? This has nothing got to do with the iphone, ye guys are hilarious. I will spell it out for you.......................ARROGANCE!!!

You think they would have learned from Sonys epic fail but they didn't.

Maybe you didn't understand what I wrote or you wouldn't call it hilarious - I didn't say the present price cut had anything to do with Iphone, I asked whether you considered the extreme Iphone price cut at the time so soon after release to be a disaster and a sign of desperation...

Also, the world is not black or white - of course the price cut was not because everything is going well but because they were not,  I am among the many who think the 3DS should have started at $199, and i agree that pricing it at $250 just because they thought they could was possibly arrogant,  but there is a long way between "we made a mistake with the pricing, let's give the 3DS the best chance to get back on the track we wanted it to have and not some half measures that may work or not" which makes sense for any business (I can relate as a business owner) and desperation...

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Joelcool7 said:

In one month of me being absent my favorite company in the whole world has gone down the crapper.

I read somewhere a ton of games for 3DS got cancelled

Nintendo made a brave move and is nowhere near "going down" :)

You could count the "cancelled" 3DS on one hand, and most of them got cancelled because of Hudson is bankrupt.

Dear lord, tears?

I hope you're joking. There's people that go through real shit in this life and don't cry. Man up.

RolStoppable said:
demonfox13 said:
RolStoppable said:

Put simply: Nintendo catering to the industry instead of their customers. This is the root of all evil and it's also way the Wii U is so damn dangerous for Nintendo.

Their customers???? Nintendo went after the blue ocean releasing more Mario party, Wii Sports, Wii this, Wii that. Last I checked YOU , Joelcool7 and a few others on this site ARE Nintendo's TRUE customers. The people who were there for original Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt bundle. Those that played River City Ransom, Back Street Brawler, Double Dragon series, Super Soccer, OOT, Mario 64, Golden Eye, Starfox, etc. THOSE are Nintendo's customers. My aunt, my mom, my mother-in-law, etc are not truly Nintendo's customers. Granted Nintendo is in business to make money as any respectable company goes into business for that purpose, but what kept Nintendo alive were those customers. Problem is, Nintendo hasn't even catered to them. Wouldn't have been a bad idea to have a 2D launch Mario title, heck they did it with Super Mario World, or did you forget that was a launch title or near launch title ( I forget)? Nintendo fans that didn't like the Wii or DS too much at the beginning had EVERY right to. Mario is a symbol of Nintendo's success, and as such it was stupid of them to not have released a mainline Mario game at launch or near launch as it was tradition with the first 3 consoles pretty much. They did the same exact thing with the Wii as with the Gamecube. YES, THEY DID NOT HAVE A MAIN MARIO TITLE AT LAUNCH OR NEAR IT! So what does that prove? The motion controls along with the games targeted purely at the blue ocean is what sold the Wii! Seriously take off those goggles and look at history it isn't so hard. Everything panned out, and until they don't go back to their roots, they will lose marketshare dramatically, just like Sony did thanks to less than desirable pricepoint and a very weak launch lineup. I would be willing to bet at LEAST 1 million Euro's that if 3DS was launched with a 2D Mario game it would sell nearly 1.5-2.0 times more overall vs what it sold. Same goes for Wii U. I would assume Nintendo is smart enough to do this since in your eyes Nintendo does nothing wrong (except with Gamecube), while everything Sony and M$ does is evil, wrong and dumb.

I know it's really hard to understand the Wii when one has a wrong perception of gaming history and this includes many of Nintendo's, as you call them, TRUE customers.

It's portrayed as if the NES was a console for kids, but it was actually played by the whole family. As new Nintendo consoles came out, Nintendo moved increasingly towards becoming a kids console while maintaining part of the males that were boys during the NES era. Mom, dad, aunt, uncle etc. were left behind, hence why Nintendo's home console sales continued to decline each generation. if the SNES truly catered to Nintendo's customers, then it wouldn't have sold less than the NES, especially because the SNES had the benefits of population growth and higher incomes in existing markets and expansion to new markets. The same goes for the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube which both launched at times when Europe really opened up, yet they couldn't even sell as many units as the NES there.

Wii Sports sold the Wii, initially. Now look at history. Wii Sports is there, split up into several games. Golf: four million, Baseball: three million, Tennis: two million, Boxing (Punch-Out!!): three million. Keep in mind that selling two or more million copies of a game back then was huge. It's obvious that the success of the NES was also built on sports games and not just Mario. The only reason why Wii Sports became a blue ocean game is because Nintendo had abandoned these people over the years and nobody else bothered to make games for them either.

Umm Rol I think your going a bit over board. NES was no less a Kids/Male oriented console then SNES or later N64. I seem to recal Barbie and Beethoven games coming to SNES. Nintendo's IP always were made with the family in mind, sure children and males prefered the games made by Nintendo but that wasn't Nintendo's intent and they never did anything to suggest otherwise.

Having a sister who grew up gaming on Nintendo platforms and knowing a few other girls, they sure didn't think Nintendo games were for boys. Infact I know quit a few female gamers who always loved Nintendo. Infact I'd say every girl gamer I know loves Mario and Nintendo's games.

Also my mom and many adults I know loved Pokemon, Mario , Zelda, Metroid and StarFox. I can't see how you figure that Nintendo created those games with children and boys as their intended targets. Infact I would say Sega , Atari , Sony etc...etc... all targetted boys and children far more then Nintendo. I remember playing Barney and Garfield on my friends Sega Genesis.

Fact is the market was just made up of males and children. Gaming was also considered nerdy so many older males and women steered away from them.

Explain to me Rol how come PSOne and PS2 were so popular and saw sales rise so drastically if your theory is correct? What did Sony due to attract older men and women? Your theory doesn't hold any water. Nintendo lost market share because when NES launched they had very little competition and alot of quality software. The only reason Nintendo started loosing market share was because competitors started creating higher quality products and third parties chose to leave Nintendo and go to Sony and Sega. Sure Nintendo didn't specifically target girls or women/older men. But their games were made for people of all ages.

Your theories sometimes completely contradict what Nintendo says. Nintendo says they make games for the family, you say they targetted children. Nintendo says they are targetting non-consumers and casuals and you say the casual market doesn't exist. Nintendo says WiiU is being released to target the core consumer and their loyal demographic as well as casual. But you say WiiU is targetting the industry and ignoring the consumer.

You gotta admit your theories aren't really in line with the reality Nintendo sees. Not to mention your considered by many here on VGChartz to be the big Nintendo fan yet you disagree with every one of their beliefs! Sorta confusing!

maverick40 said:
Galaki said:
maverick40 said:

Umm don't you think this last statement is a tad hypocritical? Nintendo needs to innovate they need to make new IP that are exactly like the competitors IP. That makes no sense if Nintendo was innovating they wouldn't make a ton of sandbox games or FPS they would do something new.

Guess what Animal Crossing, Custom Robo, BattalionWars, Pikmin all four franchises have innovated and are all recent franchises born since the beginning of the GameCube era. You see Nintendo doesn't just copy the competition as you would like them too. They innovate and create new unique IP's infact I read in a recent Miyamoto interview to expect new Nintendo characters which I assume means new IP! The direct quote is “We need new game characters soon, maybe we can move forward on that next year,”

What about PS3 and 360? Where is Microsoft or Sony's Mario, Pikmin , StarFox, Metroid, Legend Of Zelda etc...etc... Nintendo rarely if ever copies their competitors the way you seem to want them too. Nintendo creates origional and unique IP, sure they rely heavily on existing IP but they are always bringing us new IP.

Infact just because you don't like mini game genre doesn't make WiiFit, WiiPlay, WiiSports, WiiMusic any less when it comes to new IP!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer