By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Man gone a month a 3DS goes to hell in a hens basket, what all did I miss?

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo didn't go down in one month, it's just that the results of all their mismanagement over the last couple of years became clearly visible now.

For those Nintendo fans who didn't like the Wii and DS all that much, you've got what you wanted. A Nintendo that continued from where they had left off before the Wii. Nintendo is finally back.

Thank god. Though I do love my DS.

Around the Network

Capcom showed it's support for the 3DS by:

1) making their 3DS games with 1 save slot that's unerrasable

2) cancelling megaman for 3DS

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo didn't go down in one month, it's just that the results of all their mismanagement over the last couple of years became clearly visible now.

For those Nintendo fans who didn't like the Wii and DS all that much, you've got what you wanted. A Nintendo that continued from where they had left off after the Gamecube. Nintendo is finally back.

Your right Nintendo didn't go down in one month. However Nintendo appeared optamistic and while the stocks weren't doing that well they weren't nearly as bad as they are now. Alot of games were planned for release from third parties which apparently got cancelled this month, the hardware price was steady and Reggie made comments about how the 3DS wasn't selling that bad.

I guess Nintendo was just covering up their real damage and trying to do PR well as they always do. But I really didn't realize just how bad a situation Nintendo was in. Also I released some more negative threads about 3DS shortly before leaving for camp and the users here on VGChartz also didn't believe Nintendo was hurting this much. Most were fairly optamistic that Nintendo was doing alright.

As for years of mismanagment. I dunno Nintendo cleaned up their game half way through GameCube, they did a great marketing and PR campaign with Wii and DS. Me I decide whether a company is doing a good job based on their PR and Marketing, however Nintendo really dropped that ball with the release of 3DS, to date I still have only seen so few 3DS ads that I can probably count them on both hands. No magazine ads, ads in train stations and buses. Reggie then said Nintendo was out sourcing marketing which I think was Nintendo's biggest bad move to date, Nintendo used to be amazing at marketing.

But all in all I don't think Nintendo has done to terribly at managment for the last few years. I'd say the last year and a half or so have been bad, but to say the last few years is alittle harsh.

Porcupine_I said:
it's just terrible! Nintendo lost some money! must be the most terrible thing that has happened while you were gone.

Stocks collapsing isn't just loosing money, it puts Nintendo in major jeoprody. If stocks went low enough it could lead to a hostile take over. Or if they collapsed to far it could also mean Nintendo could fall apart. Worst case scenerio if WiiU causes stocks to drop even further and it fails to generate much income and 3DS continues to fail Nintendo's existance could be in jeoprody.

If anything happened to Nintendo I would be a mess, I grew up playing Nintendo, today my favorite games are all from Nintendo (Except Halo) seeing harm come to them is very discouraging for me.

d21lewis said:
Apparently, while you were in jail, you missed the 3Ds friend request I sent to your wall. Everyday, I look at the blank spot where you're supposed to be and I cry.

Well I guess being an hour and a half out in the bush with a ton of children is sorta technical jail lol, but it was fun and the kids had a blast. I just added your code now so we are friends on 3DS yayz!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

RolStoppable said:
Machina said:
RolStoppable said:

For those Nintendo fans who didn't like the Wii and DS all that much, you've got what you wanted. A Nintendo that continued from where they had left off after the Gamecube. Nintendo is finally back.

Out of curiosity, what's your objection to 3DS, Rol?

Put simply: Nintendo catering to the industry instead of their customers. This is the root of all evil and it's also way the Wii U is so damn dangerous for Nintendo.

Their customers???? Nintendo went after the blue ocean releasing more Mario party, Wii Sports, Wii this, Wii that. Last I checked YOU , Joelcool7 and a few others on this site ARE Nintendo's TRUE customers. The people who were there for original Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt bundle. Those that played River City Ransom, Back Street Brawler, Double Dragon series, Super Soccer, OOT, Mario 64, Golden Eye, Starfox, etc. THOSE are Nintendo's customers. My aunt, my mom, my mother-in-law, etc are not truly Nintendo's customers. Granted Nintendo is in business to make money as any respectable company goes into business for that purpose, but what kept Nintendo alive were those customers. Problem is, Nintendo hasn't even catered to them. Wouldn't have been a bad idea to have a 2D launch Mario title, heck they did it with Super Mario World, or did you forget that was a launch title or near launch title ( I forget)? Nintendo fans that didn't like the Wii or DS too much at the beginning had EVERY right to. Mario is a symbol of Nintendo's success, and as such it was stupid of them to not have released a mainline Mario game at launch or near launch as it was tradition with the first 3 consoles pretty much. They did the same exact thing with the Wii as with the Gamecube. YES, THEY DID NOT HAVE A MAIN MARIO TITLE AT LAUNCH OR NEAR IT! So what does that prove? The motion controls along with the games targeted purely at the blue ocean is what sold the Wii! Seriously take off those goggles and look at history it isn't so hard. Everything panned out, and until they don't go back to their roots, they will lose marketshare dramatically, just like Sony did thanks to less than desirable pricepoint and a very weak launch lineup. I would be willing to bet at LEAST 1 million Euro's that if 3DS was launched with a 2D Mario game it would sell nearly 1.5-2.0 times more overall vs what it sold. Same goes for Wii U. I would assume Nintendo is smart enough to do this since in your eyes Nintendo does nothing wrong (except with Gamecube), while everything Sony and M$ does is evil, wrong and dumb.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

RolStoppable said:
Machina said:
RolStoppable said:

Put simply: Nintendo catering to the industry instead of their customers. This is the root of all evil and it's also way the Wii U is so damn dangerous for Nintendo.

What is it about the 3DS that makes you think they're catering more towards the industry than their customers though? I can see that with the Wii U but not really the 3DS.

The industry wants technologically impressive hardware, because better graphics make it easier to sell generic games. Based on this, Nintendo had two choices: either put out a handheld with processing power similar to the PS Vita or a normal generational jump combined with stereoscopic 3D. Because Nintendo's developers like 3D (and because it was supposed to become the next big thing, pushed by 3D movies in cinemas), they went with the latter option. But in the end, both choices would lead to drastically reduced battery life and a notable price increase, so neither approach is good for the customers. Also, history has shown time and time again that battery life is much higher valued than graphics. Essentially, the 3DS is a handheld you would have expected being made by a competitor of Nintendo.

Considering how strong the DS brand was, Nintendo only had to make the generational leap from Nintendo 64 to Gamecube level graphics without stereoscopic 3D and nobody (talking customers here) would have really complained. Battery life would have been like usual for a Nintendo handheld (around the ten hour mark) and it could have been sold easily for $199 or less from the get go while giving Nintendo a healthy profit margin on the hardware. On top of this, Nintendo could have avoided all the bad press about 3D health warnings.

Admittedly, the 3DS is by far not as industry-centric in its approach as the Wii U, but the damage done is significant already. It doesn't seem like Nintendo put much thought into what is good for their customers when designing the 3DS.

Listen, I do not mean to come off like a d.....k in my previous post, but as a knowledgeable member and veteran that I see you as, I am confused. By stating that both the 3DS and Wii U are not catering to their customers. Furthermore, I am sure you are aware that the Gamecube actually made Nintendo good money despite such a low marketshare. THOSE were Nintendo's customers along with the NES, SNES and/or N64 era. It is those people that kept Nintendo afloat through the software purchase. Not to mention Nintendo doesn't apply a razor and blades model so they were fine. Nintendo looked for a novelty with the Wii, launched a buncha mini game compilations and laughed their way to the bank. You can dispute this all you want but it is true. The moment NSMBW, Mario Galaxy, and Pokemon were released, the DS and Wii ended up seeing insane software and hardware sales. Once again I cannot stress enough how important it is for Nintendo to release a system with a main Mario title out the gate. Not only does this sell you millions of systems off the bat, but also attracts developers further to release high profile titles. Want to know why? Because it is the people who buy a console for Mario who are more likely than not the actual Nintendo core gamers.

Now I personally have 3 categories for gamers as far as I see it:

Casual Gamer: can be the college frat boys that turn around and play Halo, COD, Resistance, or Wii Sports local multiplayer once in a blue during a fun drinking party, and don't pick up the system until the next party most likely. It can also be auntie and grandma doing Wii fit twice in the week and letting it collect dust.

Core Gamer: The gamer that actually decides to walk into a gamestop sometimes when he/she is passing by to see what games they have out for there system of choice. These gamers usually tend to know that Nintendo is synonymous of Mario, Metroid, Zelda, among a few other titles that have been with Nintendo for many years. These are also gamers that tend to play their games to completion at least once, and purchase a few games a year.

Hardcore Gamers: Simply put, US on this forum. Many of us visit forums, sometimes start fanboy wars, but all in all we are constantly informed about what is coming out 2 years from now. Most of us tend to play games for platinum trophies, the 1100/1000 achievements, or to get everything you can Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Trilogy,etc. We also will most likely forego buying new sneakers/shoes because the next Halo, Mario, Uncharted, *insert system fabulous franchise here, is around the corner and we HAVE to preorder it.

All in all Nintendo didn't start the Wii by catering to their core nor hardcore but went straight for blue ocean and casuals. The same thing Gamecube did, minus the motion controls with the promise of giving people an exercise experience.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network

Cry me a river!!! So the price for 3DS got slashed a lot, so what?? THats a good thing, that means the people who were holding off on buying it will now do so. So some stocks went down, tough tittie, i dont have any stocks in Ninty, sucks for people that do. THats the way it goes

I know Rol and I disagree about the existance of casual gamers and that market demographic. But I have to disagree yet again with Rol. WiiU and 3DS are targetting the consumer alot more then the industry when compared to Wii and DS.

Just look at the Blue Ocean Strategy Nintendo had with Wii and DS. Nintendo blatently said they were not targetting the existing consumers. They were launching those systems with the sole goal of expanding the industry. Their innovations were used to bring in new non-gaming consumers. Nintendo targetted new demographics and hoped with Wii's innovations and new features that it would attract third party support. Much like with 3DS Nintendo even gave third parties a huge period of time to release software without having to compete with first party content. They were more concerned with appeasing third parties and expanding the industry then they were with appeasing their core and hardcore markets. I agree with demonfox13, where is Mario and Nintendo's other core franchises.

Nintendo relied on gamers like myself DemonFox and you Rol to keep them afloat from the N64 to GameCube. It was us core consumers that kept Nintendo alive. It is our software purchases that allowed them to remain profitable. The Wii and DS were not made for us core consumers which had kept Nintendo alive, they were made to appease the industry and attract new consumers.

However with 3DS and WiiU Nintendo has countlessly said that they will be targetting their fanbase again. The release of OoT, StarFox64, Super Mario, Paper Mario, Mario Kart...etc...etc... Nintendo is doing a heck of alot better job targetting their consumers then ever before in Wii and DS's life time.

With WiiU Nintendo already announced SmashBros which leads it off to a good start. If Nintendo launches with a Mario game that will be superb. Us consumers and loyal fans have never left their side, now that their yet again in a rough spot they need to appease and appeal to their loyal user base.

If anything the Wii and DS were horrible for Nintendo. Nintendo appealed to non-consumers ones with no vested interest in gaming who don't want to spend much money on games. Sure these people injected millions into Nintendo's pockets but they are unreliable, they don't want to upgrade.

With 3DS and WiiU Nintendo appears to be targetting their fanbase over casuals (I know Rol's in denial about their existance). These fans which have loyally purchased Nintendo products and played Nintendo games for the last 25-30 years. Nintendo may not make as much money but keeping these fans happy and making them happy will keep Nintendo immortal.

But again Nintendo targetted the industry with Wii and DS. Expanding the industry, helping third parties in the industry, helping their competitors in the industry. This time round with 3DS it isn't so much about expanding the industry, appeasing the industry finally Nintendo is turning slowly back to the consumer. Keeping their loyal fans happy!

-JC7

oniyide said:
Cry me a river!!! So the price for 3DS got slashed a lot, so what?? THats a good thing, that means the people who were holding off on buying it will now do so. So some stocks went down, tough tittie, i dont have any stocks in Ninty, sucks for people that do. THats the way it goes

Umm yah its very sad, no 3DS price dropping is not a good thing for all of us who purchased it day one. The Ambassador program barely benefits me I would rather have my 80$ back thank you.It also means alot less profit for Nintendo infact a loss, so that means Nintendo has less money to invest in R&D and software which means less games! Thats bad for everyone! As for the stocks and investors, they keep Nintendo alive without those stocks and investors Nintendo could die. Sure you may think so some stocks went down , big deal. It is a huge deal if WiiU doesn't sell well and investors drop the stocks lower the company could die or be taken over by another company.

I know your not the biggest Nintendo fan. But a bad thing for Nintendo is bad for the entire industry and all those who game in it. Nintendo is the industry, without Nintendo their possibly wouldn't be a games industry. They are the life blood of the entire industry it is them who brought the world through the great gaming crash, it is them who brought Sony into the industry, they brought us 3D, they brought us analog sticks they brought us.... they are the reason the industry is alive.

Nintendo is sacred, no little booh-hoo, you should show them some respect. Nintendo is the best gaming company in existance and them going down is a very sad day for the entire industry. Sure they haven't bit the dust but this loss should be mourned by all. If Nintendo bit the dust it would be 10x more tragic then the loss of Atari and Sega combined.

Its a sad month for all Nintendo fans!

-JC7

Porcupine_I said:
it's just terrible! Nintendo lost some money! must be the most terrible thing that has happened while you were gone.

yeah loads of people getting killed in norway, the kaley antony case, the us economy under threat etc is way less important than a 3ds price cut and the nintendo president getting his pay cut from 2 mil to 1 mil... omg! how will he ever support his family on 1 million a year?

why are you in tears when the 3DS will be cheaper now so I can finally get some more god damn street passes to unlock shit? I'm happy about it.