By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is oblivion really that great of a game?

I thought it was pretty lame TBH

Around the Network

Got bored with it... and fast.

I'm rather torn about Oblivion. I got the Game of the Year edition on PS3 and encountered no glitches in my time playing, but it's the perfect example of quantity over quality in my eyes. I did love it and felt it performed admirably but like many others said it was so empty and repetitive. I happened to love the levelling system and I thought the classes and RPG elements were spot on, but combat was stiff and unnatural feeling and the game just lacked polish. I'd have rather had a game 1/5th this size but with more polish. There's a reason I have played portal dozens of times but never beat this.

That said, I did have fun with it and given the direction the series is going (less content, more polish per generation), skyrim may be something truly epic.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I never like any oblivion. But I'm actually not that much into RPG games.

No , It's not great by any mean , the game is lacking polish even if you compare it to games were released in 2006 and earlier , and believe me this isn't coming out of hate or anything like that , don't make my mistake .

Around the Network

I played oblivion before morrowind and will give my opinions based on that.

Oblivion was a great game. I did a few main missions here and there and only did missions for one house(brotherhood?). But i did the random missions as i came across them. I mainly did what i wanted and explored the map, the mountains and the caves. I stopped playing when all the oblivion gates started to open up all over the place. I would walk a path then turn back to visit a village and there would be, no lie...3 new gates opened in just a small area. They started to pop up all over the place and it was bothersome to a player who just wanted to do his own thing. I played for about 96hours.

I then went on to play Morrowind two years later and the game is not really designed for random exploring. You need to do the missions. I pretty much maxed out my character and had many homes filled with loot. I did the odd missions here and there. My charcter had no magic or spell skill and it really screwed the game.

During random exploring i would be infected with so many diseases and curses or what have you it slowed down the game. You could not buy enough or find enough potions to cure what i got. I was also turned into a vampire, which forced me to open a strategy guide to figure out how to remove it, cause there was no clue ingame how to do it.

I never did finish the game or get rid of the vampire curse. People hated me or were just not where they were meant to be either. Missions i tried to complete were failed due to the broken game. Guide says do a,b,c and a, says something different, B is missing, and C is screwed up.

My charcter was also not able to hold an entire heavy armour set or large weapons as the weight limit was so low it broke any class but a light weight magic guy. The max heavy armour also provided little to no better protection as i found out near the end when i switched from max heavy armour to no skill glass armour and was taking the same damage from what i recall.

gameplay vids never looked 2 great but skyrim looks rad. lol

Best western RPG out there.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: It has some huge issues, mainly monster and loot that level with the player. You can fix most of the issues with mods (in the PC version only) in which case the game might be worth trying it you find it for a low price.

It's brilliant, although the PC version is the definitive version. Bethesda make a great game but it's the the user mods that make it a truly tailored experience, fix the bugs and improve on an already great game.

Unfortunately, it came out early in the gen so it looks quite dated now (especially the character and animations). However, with user mods (again), it looks pretty good still.