By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is oblivion really that great of a game?

It depends on if you like to play the type of games that can involved hours upon countless hours of gameplay. If you only focus on the main qeust you will get through it in a matter of days, but if you do lots of exploring like me you may be playing it for a month or more. All in all its a great fun game, but it wouldn't have hurt it to have some changes here and there.

Around the Network

It is amazing for the first few hours. Then you realize it's an awful game. Still worth playing it for those first few hours though.

A real great game, but I did miss a bunch of stuff they had in Morrowind that they never put in Oblivion.

I started playing this game again, and I have to say, it's quite good. Great? No. But it's definitely one of the more entertaining games this gen. Even the...apparently inferior console version.

I'm sure it's better on PC. But even on the consoles (for which it is terribly unoptimized) it's better than 90% of games out there. Combat is terrible, NPCs are bland, but the sheer variety and exploration make up for this.

The much-hated "world levels with you" system is different. This is, naturally, why it is hated. But different doesn't mean bad. It offers a different experience, with a different set of challenges. When you embrace this new challenge, you learn to appreciate it.

No it's not really that great. Enemies are hard according to your current level for the most part. So there aren't impenetrable fortresses early on and some easily blown through ones later...which just makes the game feel static to me and boring. I didn't finish it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
The only weird thing is that you ended your post with "hehehehe" instead of the obligatory "lol".

You forgot he's oldschool. You hardly ever see "hehehes" anymore.

i hate the people on this site now more than ever.

Chrizum said:
It is amazing for the first few hours. Then you realize it's an awful game. Still worth playing it for those first few hours though.

This! This is a pretty good summary. Though how much you are willing to pay for it might depend person to person. I bought it new and wish I hadn't spent that much for it.

Oblivion is not even a particularly good game, let alone a great one. Morrowind on the otherhand is a great game.

JEMC said:
adriane23 said:
Fuck no. I fell for the hype of Oblivion and bought the GOTY edition. I only had myself to blame......

Same here! (But lucky me I got it for cheap after some months).

I don't know why but I couldn't get into the game. I found myself asking "and now what do I do?", and as I couldn't find an answer, I stopped playing.

This!

Plus, combat was boring as hell, levelling up was stupid, the world was huge, but was oh sooooo boring (it al looked the same), the story didn't had any depth... I hated it