By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the "3rd party software doesn't sell on the Wii" argument die?

How long until Wii owners get tired of Mario and Wii Sports? It would take months not years to get tired of those things. And the best selling software over the past few years has been more grown up video games.

If your over 20, you can't help feeling like your playing a videogame designed for 10 year olds. Nintendo doesn't make M rated games, and if third party developers wont make games for the Wii, then the Wii has given us all it has to offer. It wont have a holiday season anywhere near this one if it doesn't get m ore games going up against the PS3 lineup.

Around the Network

When third party games start selling on Wii. No just kidding.

People are used to the fact that third-party games sell like shit on Nintendo consoles. Just look at the Nintendo 64 and GameCube. It will take awhile for people to get used to third party games selling on a Nintendo-made machine.

I personally don't care who a game is made by, as long as it got good reviews and/OR looks interesting to me.

Jandre02 said:
How long until Wii owners get tired of Mario and Wii Sports? It would take months not years to get tired of those things. And the best selling software over the past few years has been more grown up video games.

If your over 20, you can't help feeling like your playing a videogame designed for 10 year olds. Nintendo doesn't make M rated games, and if third party developers wont make games for the Wii, then the Wii has given us all it has to offer. It wont have a holiday season anywhere near this one if it doesn't get m ore games going up against the PS3 lineup.

That has nothing to do with this thread. Please take your offtopic trolling elsewhere, if possible.

EDIT - after rereading your post, I can see something worth to comment on, amidst the trollish comments. You think 3rd party software won't sell because there aren't/won't be any mature games for the Wii? Allow me to introduce you to The Godfather, Scarface and other mature games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DMeisterJ said:
The same time the argument of the PS3 dropping in sales post-price drop is over.

by looking at the fact that the PS3 had had almost no sales boost for the Japanese holidays I agree those post should stop, because the post price drop boost is over : )

We will se in others once all holiday shopping is done when the new PS3 minimum is, I beleive it will be a good 10-20% higher than in 2007. The PS3 has a way to go in Japan... FFXIII may be its last hope.  I do not beleive that GT5 will be the beast that the ealier games were basically based on the arguments that everyone gives. More racers, cars not as popular in Japan as they were in late 90's... etc. I am actually sceptical as to how FF13 will do, the FF series has become more and more westerized, and we have seen slowly falling Japanese sales(but more sales overall)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

these posts will never stop just like people saying vice versa about the ps3..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
The argument will only die once 3rd party software sales make up for more than 50 % of the software sales for the Wii. Which means it won't die for a long time, because Nintendo is just putting out too much quality in too high quantity.

I think you just said that Nintendo needs to make crappier games and/or release less titles for third parties to have a chance. Good one Rol!

RolStoppable said:
fkusumot said:
RolStoppable said:
The argument will only die once 3rd party software sales make up for more than 50 % of the software sales for the Wii. Which means it won't die for a long time, because Nintendo is just putting out too much quality in too high quantity.

I think you just said that Nintendo needs to make crappier games and/or release less titles for third parties to have a chance. Good one Rol!

That's one way to put it.

What I actually meant was that 3rd parties really have to invest more time and money in their Wii games to catch up to Nintendo, not that Nintendo has to do worse for 3rd party software sales to look better.

That reminds me of another thing I should create a thread about - what percentages mean and how (un)important they often are.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

While I haven't read someone said 3rd games doesn't sale on Wii yet in the long run when more gamers have a Wii plus 360/PS3 why would someone want to buy a game without HD nor DD5.1 support? As I stated before, the battle of HD between Time Warner Cable vs Direct TV is already in full force here. TWC even tried to get Direct TV ad pulled off the air as they are having trouble keep up.
If HD continue to catch on half as fast as DVD did then I can see this as a big plus to the gaming systems which support HD. ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox in most part of the US have already boardcasting in digital HD ready for the change over from a year from now (feb 09) as well as more programs are slowly changing over. Even in Walmart, SD-TV selection is getting a lot smaller.
Even if a lot more people get a HDTV within a year time there will always be some 3rd party game sale better on Wii, like for example anything with the name Mario or Sonic in them.

Jandre02 said:

Its been about 14 months since Wii Sports was released? Most Wii gamers aren't tired of that yet.

Anyway let me introduce you to two third party games that are the most violent and gore-festish of this generation. Manhunt 2 and No More Heroes. Which console are those two on? You guessed it, the Wii.

In any case the best selling games of recent years (last two generations) have been:

NintendogsNintendo1.696.248.4616.39
The SimsEA0.0011.394.6916.08
Pokemon Ruby / SapphireNintendo5.415.654.1315.19
Grand Theft Auto: San AndreasRockstar Games0.417.896.5814.88
Gran Turismo 3 A-SpecSony1.897.135.8514.87

Grand Theft Auto: Vice CityRockstar0.478.205.5314.20
Pokemon Diamond / PearlNintendo5.564.332.9712.86
New Super Mario BrosNintendo5.153.643.5312.32
Grand Theft Auto 3Take 20.366.554.6911.60
Brain TrainingNintendo3.822.234.2710.32
Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf GreenNintendo3.204.232.8110.24

7 non "grown up" games and 4 'grown up' games. I think that kind of blows away your idea of only grown up games selling in recent years.

@Rath

Umm, I don't think you can compare consoles and handhelds in that argument.

Also, Scarface and Manhunt 2 are also on other platforms. They both are ports.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.