By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the "3rd party software doesn't sell on the Wii" argument die?

Smidlee said:
This is one thing I admire about Nintendo is they haven't fall for the "M" rated gimmick. How many parent wants to sit down with their children and play a game that uses language that they would discipline them for?
I prefer companys that are not afriad to make games for different audience.

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:
DMeisterJ said:
The same time the argument of the PS3 dropping in sales post-price drop is over.

by looking at the fact that the PS3 had had almost no sales boost for the Japanese holidays I agree those post should stop, because the post price drop boost is over : )

We will se in others once all holiday shopping is done when the new PS3 minimum is, I beleive it will be a good 10-20% higher than in 2007. The PS3 has a way to go in Japan... FFXIII may be its last hope. I do not beleive that GT5 will be the beast that the ealier games were basically based on the arguments that everyone gives. More racers, cars not as popular in Japan as they were in late 90's... etc. I am actually sceptical as to how FF13 will do, the FF series has become more and more westerized, and we have seen slowly falling Japanese sales(but more sales overall)

Japan's price drop didn't have long term effect, evidence shows it might have actually made the holiday sales boost smaller than it would have been otherwise.  America's first price drop had no long term effect, sales were back to normal in 2 months, the second price drop is hard to read because it came during the holidays.  Despite the price drop 360 easily maintained its lead in NA.

The only evidence there is to support PS3 price drop having an effect is in Europe.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Jandre02 said:
How long until Wii owners get tired of Mario and Wii Sports? It would take months not years to get tired of those things. And the best selling software over the past few years has been more grown up video games.

If your over 20, you can't help feeling like your playing a videogame designed for 10 year olds. Nintendo doesn't make M rated games, and if third party developers wont make games for the Wii, then the Wii has given us all it has to offer. It wont have a holiday season anywhere near this one if it doesn't get m ore games going up against the PS3 lineup.

Sorry, despite the numerous reactions I still want to react as well.

1. Tired of Mario - I think Mario games are amazing. Besides the supreme game Super Mario Galaxy I can still play the 2D mario's (especially SMB3 and World) with a lot of pleasure. Not many games can say that they hold their playability for over 10 years. More Nintendo games have this (Zelda).

2. I am over 20 (26 to be precise) and playing SMG I didn't have that feeling for 1 second. I did have the feeling that I wished I was 10 years old again, so I had more time to play that game. And that's just Mario, I could start on Metroid, Fire Emblem etc if you like.

3. Nintendo doesn't make M rated games. First I never check the rating because I think that would be the worst criterium for a good game ever. Second: I don't know about the ratings for Metroid, Fire Emblem and Eternal Darkness but I know these games are meant for an older audience. Maturity doesn't need to be in the graphics.

4. 3rd party developers are making and have made games. For example the Wii will be the reason for the console rebirth of two great gaming genres: Light gun shooters (RE:UC, Ghost Squad, House of the Dead) and Point and Click adventures (there are rumours about myst and Monkey Island, Zack & Wiki). For gamers this is a very good development. Maybe the 3rd party efforts this year weren't amazing, but RE4 Wii is a hardcore-mature gamers wet dream, Medal of Honour Heroes was praised as the best FPS console control scheme,  Zack & Wiki is another very good exclusive. 2008 will see alot more exclusives (like Spore, RPG's, Japan's biggest: Monster Hunter 3, Fatal Frame4).

Personally, my favorite game on the wii so far this year isn't even Mario Galaxy. ;)

2nd fav SRPG ever, behind Final Fantasy Tactics. :)

I'll buy any game I like enough, whether it's 3rd party or 1st party.  And thankfully, most of the Wii games I want for 2008 are 3rd party. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.