By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the "3rd party software doesn't sell on the Wii" argument die?

outlawauron said:
@Rath

Umm, I don't think you can compare consoles and handhelds in that argument.

Also, Scarface and Manhunt 2 are also on other platforms. They both are ports.

I believe the Wii was the lead platform for Manhunt 2 wasn't it?

I think that handhelds should be counted as they are also gaming platforms but if you really insist. 

Wii SportsNintendo2.488.206.2116.89
The SimsEA0.0011.394.6916.08
Grand Theft Auto: San AndreasRockstar Games0.417.896.5814.88
Gran Turismo 3 A-SpecSony1.897.135.8514.87 
Grand Theft Auto 3Take 20.366.554.6911.60
World of WarcraftBlizzard0.152.436.619.19
Gran Turismo 4Sony1.162.635.008.79
Wii PlayNintendo2.013.802.348.15
Final Fantasy XSquare EA3.022.742.197.95
Mario Kart: Double DashNintendo0.893.851.866.60
Super Smash Bros MeleeNintendo1.444.061.086.58

5 Casual games and 5 'grown up' games in that list, with WoW being debatable. Hardly "the best selling software over the past few years has been more grown up video games."

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
fkusumot said:
RolStoppable said:
The argument will only die once 3rd party software sales make up for more than 50 % of the software sales for the Wii. Which means it won't die for a long time, because Nintendo is just putting out too much quality in too high quantity.

I think you just said that Nintendo needs to make crappier games and/or release less titles for third parties to have a chance. Good one Rol!

That's one way to put it.

What I actually meant was that 3rd parties really have to invest more time and money in their Wii games to catch up to Nintendo, not that Nintendo has to do worse for 3rd party software sales to look better.

I agree. I also don't think that third parties are going to catch up soon. The fullness of time will tell.

Rath said:
outlawauron said:
@Rath

Umm, I don't think you can compare consoles and handhelds in that argument.

Also, Scarface and Manhunt 2 are also on other platforms. They both are ports.

I believe the Wii was the lead platform for Manhunt 2 wasn't it?

I think that handhelds should be counted as they are also gaming platforms but if you really insist. 

Wii SportsNintendo2.488.206.2116.89
The SimsEA0.0011.394.6916.08
Grand Theft Auto: San AndreasRockstar Games0.417.896.5814.88
Gran Turismo 3 A-SpecSony1.897.135.8514.87 
Grand Theft Auto 3Take 20.366.554.6911.60
World of WarcraftBlizzard0.152.436.619.19
Gran Turismo 4Sony1.162.635.008.79
Wii PlayNintendo2.013.802.348.15
Final Fantasy XSquare EA3.022.742.197.95
Mario Kart: Double DashNintendo0.893.851.866.60
Super Smash Bros MeleeNintendo1.444.061.086.58

5 Casual games and 5 'grown up' games in that list, with WoW being debatable. Hardly "the best selling software over the past few years has been more grown up video games."

I thought that PS2 was the lead platform and due to the success of the Wii, they decided to port it over.

Anyways, Thanks for the list. Wii Play really has been Nintendo's silent leader.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Jandre02 said:
How long until Wii owners get tired of Mario and Wii Sports? It would take months not years to get tired of those things. And the best selling software over the past few years has been more grown up video games.

If your over 20, you can't help feeling like your playing a videogame designed for 10 year olds. Nintendo doesn't make M rated games, and if third party developers wont make games for the Wii, then the Wii has given us all it has to offer. It wont have a holiday season anywhere near this one if it doesn't get m ore games going up against the PS3 lineup.

Funny. I'm well over 20, and never had a problem playing Nintendo games. I have, however, been ashamed of some M rated games, that seemed to scream at me "Look at the blood! Look at the tits! Listen to the profanity! Don't you feel f*cking MATURE now!" 

misterd said:
Jandre02 said:
How long until Wii owners get tired of Mario and Wii Sports? It would take months not years to get tired of those things. And the best selling software over the past few years has been more grown up video games.

If your over 20, you can't help feeling like your playing a videogame designed for 10 year olds. Nintendo doesn't make M rated games, and if third party developers wont make games for the Wii, then the Wii has given us all it has to offer. It wont have a holiday season anywhere near this one if it doesn't get m ore games going up against the PS3 lineup.

Funny. I'm well over 20, and never had a problem playing Nintendo games. I have, however, been ashamed of some M rated games, that seemed to scream at me "Look at the blood! Look at the tits! Listen to the profanity! Don't you feel f*cking MATURE now!"

You're obviously too old to enjoy M games.  That or you no longer live in you parents basement and collect comic books.  Either way, some people simply don't grow up and they need to feel "mature".

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network
Nick said:
misterd said:
Jandre02 said:

Funny. I'm well over 20, and never had a problem playing Nintendo games. I have, however, been ashamed of some M rated games, that seemed to scream at me "Look at the blood! Look at the tits! Listen to the profanity! Don't you feel f*cking MATURE now!"

You're obviously too old to enjoy M games. That or you no longer live in you parents basement and collect comic books. Either way, some people simply don't grow up and they need to feel "mature".

Agreed Nick.

@Jandre02 - Maturity isn't in the age label, it's in YOU. It's also funny how the more mature you become, the more you tend to look down upon things the are supposedly "mature".

Ray007 said:
Nick said:
misterd said:
Jandre02 said:

You're obviously too old to enjoy M games. That or you no longer live in you parents basement and collect comic books. Either way, some people simply don't grow up and they need to feel "mature".

Agreed Nick.

@Jandre02 - Maturity isn't in the age label, it's in YOU. It's also funny how the more mature you become, the more you tend to frown upon things the are supposedly "mature".

What a wierd discussion. Just because you are over certain age you cant enjoy games from 16 years and up? I usually play games between 12-16 and then 18 and few times games from 6 years. Its just because most of the time it is just too simple gameplay and lousy story I get bored. I would like too see Nintendo make a quality "Mature" title like Eternal Darkness...cant think of others I did not like Perfect Dark.

I must be some kind of freak for liking both the E-rated games and the occaisional taste of ultra-violence. Variety is the spice of life.

Manhunt crossed the line, though. I'm creeped out just thinking about who could enjoy a game like that.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

This is one thing I admire about Nintendo is they haven't fall for the "M" rated gimmick. How many parent wants to sit down with their children and play a game that uses language that they would discipline them for?

famousringo said:
I must be some kind of freak for liking both the E-rated games and the occaisional taste of ultra-violence. Variety is the spice of life.

Manhunt crossed the line, though. I'm creeped out just thinking about who could enjoy a game like that.
I did not like Manhunt either not because it was scary but the game felt stupid.