By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Now Incurring Loss on 3DS Hardware

Mad55 said:
I mean arent they still profiting on the ds? if so it probably offsets the loss.

Yes, this is what I was thinking too... they are probably going to focus on making royalties from games, and selling lots of games... 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network
menx64 said:
Mad55 said:
I mean arent they still profiting on the ds? if so it probably offsets the loss.

Yes, this is what I was thinking too... they are probably going to focus on making royalties from games, and selling lots of games... 

yea i hope so lol.

IMHO, if Ninty is selling at a loss, then so be it, we all benefit from this large price drop

oniyide said:
IMHO, if Ninty is selling at a loss, then so be it, we all benefit from this large price drop

In a way, this is true.

Nintendo still has holiday SW to back it up, and I'm quite sure the loss is minimmal. And the winners of that loss is we, the costumers.

Plus, Sony hasn't profited a ton these last years and they're as good as new

milkyjoe said:
The usual justification for selling consoles at a loss is that it's because the company in question loves us gamers. So obviously Nintendo loves us again after years of silly profiting.

Nintendo and Microsoft are greedy companies, even when they sell their consoles at a loss, they know we will give them our souls in the process. Only Sony love gamers.

Around the Network

Wow, this is a HUGE price drop, especially for Nintendo.. They must really be desperate to pull a move like this. And they have good reason to be. The Vita looks to be the first real threat to Nintendo's 20+ year dominance in the handheld market.This kind of reminds me of Sony getting caught up in their arrogance with the PS3, then getting a harsh dose of reality and being forced cut off a large amount of the price shortly after release.

I'm still in no hurry to get one, as OOT is the only game out now that I would want. But $170 is certainly much easier to stomach than $250.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

The 110 price estimate had some major problems with it, first off it stated 64+32 MB of ram, since the 3ds has 128 (maybe +32MB) it was definitely wrong, second it guessed at the price of the processors since we don't know what they are.
Anyway, I was happy at 250 and I'll I have to say is thank you Sony you got me 20 free games,

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:
RolStoppable said:
I doubt that it will be a significant loss, but Nintendo has noone to blame but themselves for conceiving such a poor initial strategy for their current generation handheld.

Was it really that bad?
I know times have changed but the original DS didn't start out any better... is this all because of smartphones or is there something else going on?

really, the DS had quite a few problems when it launched, not the least of which was being weird, making it difficult to understand who the product was aimed at...

Yes, it was that bad. If it wasn't, then we would read different news today.

The DS didn't start out any better, that is true. It was rushed to the market to prevent Sony from pulling off another PS1/PS2 on Nintendo (the PSP was scheduled for late 2004, so Nintendo had to act). That's why the DS launch lineup consisted of a N64 port and games like WarioWare which are really fast to make. But the vision behind the DS was correct and eventually the games that mattered got released. Look at the 3DS and you see games that do not belong on a handheld, certainly not on a Nintendo handheld. Nintendo has yet to announce a game that can save the 3DS from becoming a Nintendo fanboy system.

Smartphones may be more advanced than the mobile phones that spelled doom for the DS, but they still can't make a dedicated handheld obsolete, simply because they aren't built specifically for gaming. There are always people who want to see Nintendo being gone and they will use every opportunity. The smartphones only became the new focus because Sony (who was supposed to kill Nintendo's handheld business) got crushed so hard, so nobody is really betting on the PS Vita after the PSP got a beating.

Nintendo's biggest enemy is Nintendo and the 3DS shows it once again. Nintendo has the capabilities to rise to heaven, but in the same way they can send themselves to hell. Nintendo has a long enough history to predict what will work for them and what will not. The 3DS had increasingly selfdestruction written all over it the closer it came to its launch. There's a reason why it's constantly compared to the Nintendo 64 or the Gamecube.

I am not afraid of smartphones. I am not afraid of the PS Vita. I only have to fear Nintendo.

Nah, its way too early to analyze anything  for the 3ds's future, unless u have inside information. This price cut was just a direct response to vita's pricing, a price that surprised everyone. CASE CLOSED.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Wow.... I don't think they can afford lose on every 3DS sales. I just hope Nintendo stay long enough until this machine profitable......