2012 really is the end...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Xen said:
'bout time.

Next month, I'm getting 50.

A lol'd.

4 ≈ One

I think selling at a loss is a very bad move. Nintendo didn't need to do such a drastic cut. Pricing it at even would have been smart. Say around the 199.99$ mark. A 50$ cut should have been more then sufficient, now if this succeeds Nintendo will price WiiU at a loss too, they won't make as much off hardware and rely increasingly on software. But what happens if software sales aren't as high as hoped? Nintendo will take a massive blow. Selling hardware at a loss could they ever return to the profitability of the Wii/DS generation?

I think Nintendo should never sell hardware at a loss. While its great for me the consumer it is not a wise buisness decision. Look at Sony and the amount of damage they took selling PS3 at a loss. Or Microsoft with the origional X-Box or even the 360 which only became profitable like two to three years into its life cycle.

Nintendo isn't like Sony or MS , they don't have tons of subsidiares to make them money. They can't rely on music and movie sales to keep them afloat. If hardware isn't turning a profit and then software bottoms out, its game over for Nintendo. So this is like stepping one foot into the fire and hoping the fire doesn't spread to the other foot and engulf the body.

Nintendo is playing with fire, lets pray they don't get burnt!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

This is the one thing I really don't understand. I don't recall any console being D0med for having slim pickings when it comes to software during its first year, let alone first six months. What makes this case so different than any one before it?

Other reasons, like the hardware failing to set off people's imagination of possible new games, or the Vita's better perceived value or smartphone domination etc. I can understand, which is why I see it as being a combination of different issues, not one clear flaw like people are pointing out...

In short: The 3DS is an anti-Nintendo handheld, despite resembling a DS in terms of hardware design.

Long answer: Read this. Not only does it explain why the 3DS itself is a problem, but also why Nintendo's future on the whole is at risk.

First off, how is the 3DS anti Nintendo? It is the very much Nintendo. Bring new and inovative ways to play. As opposed to playing games the same way with just better graphic. Second, that has to be the dumbest articles I have ever read. It's like the author has no concept at all of inflation and currency devaluation. Of coarse people got more back then. Only one controller was them adjusting to devaluation. Just like ever other company does. Also, I'm trying to figure out is how the recession going to affect Nintendo and not Microsoft and Sony? The Vita will face the same problems as the 3DS.