By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do developers act like Nintendo fans are obligated to buy their shitty games?

http://www.icongames.com/?p=1793

A quote: 

We found many of the review sites for WiiWare games to be very harsh – if you veer too far from the typical Nintendo styling the reception isn’t particularly good. Nintendo Life in particular provided a number of very unpleasant reviews.

First of all, these guys make shovelware, even a quick glance will at their games will show that they're one of the many harbingers of shovelware on the system.

But there seems to be this prevailing attitude from developers that because they've gone through ALL THAT WORK to graciously put their games on a Nintendo platform for us casual, stupid peons that we're somehow obligated to get down and suck their glorious gold plated dicks for the honor of playing their precious bounty of games. 

Then somehow owners of Nintendo platforms are blamed because only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems. Let's be honest, a lot of their work sucks, bad. The Conduit 1 and 2 were both horrible, Madworld was a joke, Zach and Wiki was an aesthetic mess, and to date I can't name 5 non-Nintendo games on the Wii that are worth a full $50 to play. 

I can't even tell myself that looking at these games at juuuuuuuust the right angle makes them somewhat passable. It's just not true and I'm not going to lie to myself let alone throw down $50 in the hopes that it somehow will magically become the truth. Face it, if these games were on PC, 360, or PS3 we wouldn't give them a second look.

The truth is this: I'd rather lick the cold, clammy sweat off a dead man's balls than play 99.99% of the non-Nintendo games on the Wii. Crapcom, EA, and Ubi are essentially the same as Data Design Interactive as far as Wii output. 

You want to sell like Nintendo? Put out like Nintendo, and stop making excuses 3rd parties because you have no one to blame but yourself. It's not being a harsh judge, developers, you're just horrible at your job. 

I know the Wii doesn't have programmable shaders, which is why they didn't get a lot of games, and I know the controller is hard to create games for. I can understand that--but if you're not going to try to put in minimum effort, don't even bother.

Just don't cry like a little bitch about it or blame anyone but yourself.

Needed to get that off my chest.

Around the Network

awwww no ALLCAPSRAGE!!!!! but yea their crazy and i guess they think that because the wii has a big userbase that shit games should sell by default lol.

Only issue is games like Like Story, Arc Rise Fantasia, etc. which are phenominal do not pull the numbers that they should. Bring back Rare!!

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Well what do they expect I'm not playing some dance game for more than an hour!

RolStoppable said:

But one thing, cAPSLOCK, it's not fair that you lump Capcom in with the others. While it's true that they didn't really support the Wii, they at least refrained from continually flooding the console with trash.

I think Capcom did something much worse: they held Resident Evil over Wii gamer's heads like a cocktease. "Ooh we'll come up with a new RE for you if you just buy our rail shooters and show support for us!" What was our glorious reward? Another fucking rail shooter and a "thanks for funding RE5, ya dumb jagoffs!" I mean at least other companies didn't give our loyalty tests like we're trying to get into the Warriors or something.  Crapcop deserves all the venom spit in their direction this generation.

Yup, I'm a huge fan of Shin'en.  Thoes guys are wizards.

Ivy: As far as some games not selling as well as they should. I totally agree, but I think a lot of them will fall into aesthetics problems. Little King's Story is a great example of a very good game where the aesthetics completely undermined the nature of the game.  Standard anime style_001 lost a lot of favor this gen. I'm personally not a fan of generic anime styles for the same reasons I despise dudebro aesthetic design, both suggest a servere lack of creativity. 

Not to say I hate all anime style because it's anime, for example I think Persona has fantastic art design, and although it falls under anime it tweaks it enough to be its own unique, amazing style. 

Around the Network

Capcom was in a difficult position in terms of fan relations exactly because some of the games it released for Wii were of high quality and clearly had real effort put into them - even if they weren't all your cup of tea. For example I can name 5 Capcom games alone that are worth buying new - Okami, Monster Hunter Tri, RE4: Wii, TvC, Zack & Wiki... Many of these were released for a budget price (usually $39.99) from day 1, so it's not like the required investment from consumers was that high. This probably created an impression early on that there was much more to come, and unsurprisingly, a backlash when that didn't happen.

What definitely made matters a lot worse than they needed to be were the many unkind remarks coming from Capcom's PR or other departments. These include the "Can't run RE5's title screen" remark, the "test game" remark and several more. This was a common trend this gen by many publishers and just goes to show you how unprofessional they can be. In this area they REALLY should take a lesson from Nintendo, who (for the most part) refrain from saying anything which can directly be perceived as negative or sensational about its competitors, or its partners.

A final point about the occasional good game not getting the sales it deserves, and something 3rd parties rarely understand about Nintendo gamers, is a certain level of trust that needs to be achieved between a company or brand and its consumers. Nintendo gamers as a whole are less likely to go online and check every last detail about a game before making a purchase, and more likely to go with trusted brands or ones that regularly receive positive word of mouth. The key to creating such a brand is two-fold: First games must be of a consistent level of quality and offer a reasonably consistent experience between releases, and second must have fairly consistent releases to maintain awareness of the quality of the brand. 3rd parties have for the most part failed on both these accounts, either by not maintaining quality (ex: the FFCC games that came out for Wii, Ubisoft's Ninja Turtles games and PoP games, Red Steel series could also fall in this category) or consistency (Castlevania and Soul Calibur both deviating dramatically from their expected formulas, not to mention the RE railshooters etc) or by not following through often enough for people to associate a new game with previous ones, thus effectively making it an "unknown" in terms of brand recognition (NBA JAM, Dead Space, Klonoa etc. - these games were not strong enough to stand on their own but as part of a series could have seen their userbase increase gradually).

Examples of brands that did a reasonably good job of avoiding these mistakes, and saw success because of it, are the CoD Wii series ofcourse, Rabbids series, Trauma series, We Ski series, Decca Sports series, Taiko no Tatsujin series (Japan) and more. Once again these are examples of games that were not necessarily brilliant or strong enough to stand on their own individually, but as a brand created enough value to warrant an investment from the consumer.

Bottom line is: if you don't actively create consumer trust, there is no reason to expect good sales, regardless of quality.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

lol i actually liked The Conduit.. Conduit 2 on the other is pretty shitty, due to its buggyness and in game crashes.

That was a pretty interesting article, but can anyone tell me of any third party dev that actually said that Wii owners are obligated to buy there games??? Anyone?? I hear that a lot but never see any actual quotes from the evil devs. HOD overKill, Tvs.C, Goldeneye, MHTri, Grand Slam Tennis, Red Steel 2. Games right there that are worth the price of admission. Oh, sure the WIi is not overflowing with core gaming goodness like everyone else, you just have to look harder.
And FYI, anyone who actually played RE5 knows that game would not run on WIi without major sacrifices, it would be better if they just make a RE for the Wii instead of trying to get 5 gallons of water into a 20 liter bottle

oniyide said:
That was a pretty interesting article, but can anyone tell me of any third party dev that actually said that Wii owners are obligated to buy there games??? Anyone?? I hear that a lot but never see any actual quotes from the evil devs. HOD overKill, Tvs.C, Goldeneye, MHTri, Grand Slam Tennis, Red Steel 2. Games right there that are worth the price of admission. Oh, sure the WIi is not overflowing with core gaming goodness like everyone else, you just have to look harder.
And FYI, anyone who actually played RE5 knows that game would not run on WIi without major sacrifices, it would be better if they just make a RE for the Wii instead of trying to get 5 gallons of water into a 20 liter bottle

FAIL

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

well currently don't like anything on the Wii but your right.

if it looks like crap don't buy it