By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do developers act like Nintendo fans are obligated to buy their shitty games?

Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:
gumby_trucker said:
one more thing I forgot to mention about VC, is that I don't recall seeing any numbers backing your claim that VC is more popular than WW, or that the sales are better. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At least this is a matter Nintendo are FINALLY addressing with the removal of the two separate categories. Why they can't do this on Wii as well I can only attribute to cluelessness and/or laziness.

I think it would be a matter of course that VC sells better than WiiWare. All three Super Mario Bros games, all the major Zelda games (i think, is Adventure of Link on there?) Metroid and Super Metroid, the NES classics, Mario Kart 64, the Genesis Sonic titles and some classic Bomberman games are both far more recognizable and out-and-out better games than anything that ends up on any of the three digital services today

pretty bold statement considering you do no own all three consoles, what are you basing your opinion on??? Nostalgia??

In the grounds of objectivity its a fairly easy statement to make. Name a game on XBLA or PSN as significant as Sonic The Hedgehog (though the genesis game is on both, i'm pretty sure)

You didnt say "significant" you said "out and out BETTER" games that is what im calling you out on. I could name quite a few games that are just as good or better than Sonic 1 on XBL & PSN. Stacking, Braid, Scott Pilgrim, Wait a tic, Sonic 1 is on XBL and PSN. On the grounds of objectivity... you dont really have any, you dont own a HD console so how would you know what they offer???

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I can't say I have sympathy with these people, at least not in these specific cases. Steam is of course more flexible, because it's Valve's only platform.

There are hardly any numbers for download services on consoles available and the ones that are are usually based on leaderboards. That being said, I don't think it's far fetched that the bestselling VC games have crossed the 500k mark and when you have developers like Icon Games complaining about a treshold of 5k units, then it's pretty obvious that WiiWare gets crushed in terms of sales numbers. Can't blame consumers for that, because the Virtual Console has far better games for the same amount of money. Nintendo could have demos, patches and no size limits all in one place, but for third parties to be happy, Nintendo would also need to remove the VC service altogether.

I don't know where you are getting it from that VC and xWare aren't separate categories anymore. They sure still are on the 3DS.

Sorry for the comparible short reply.

Once again, your personal taste can not be used as an argument.
Furthermore, the assumption you keep using that games are either good or garbage is troll-worthy, and you know this. As is the assumption that all bad games are objectively bad and devoid of merit. Experience is at least as important as talent when it comes to making a successful developer, as are funds, time, proper exposure and so on.
Please don't build your argument around Icon Games exclusively, even if they are the originators of the OP they still make some valid general points.

Your VC argument is also not something I can take seriously unless you back it up with facts. At the very least show me a recent quote from a developer complaining about how they are competing with Super Mario Bros, and using that as the main reason why their games aren't selling. I'm not talking about the first year of WiiWare when pickings were slim, but rather recently. If you find such a quote, please explain to me why it is any different than games on Steam competing with Half Life 2, or DOOM or Abe's Oddysey/Exodus or competing services like GOG which make it their business to offer classics at a very competitive price.

There is no indication AFAIK that the online market isn't big enough to sustain both types of games successfully. Furthermore, if the issue really is as one sided as you present it, why aren't we seeing more classic releases from 3rd parties on VC? Why have Chrono-Trigger and FF6 arrived so late in the service's life? Where is Rogue Squadron for N64? (god knows it's not a rights-management issue with that one!).

If anything I'd say VC suffers from pretty much the exact same issues as WW, having no way to gage a game before making a purchase, and offering very little information on it. If Nintendo classics are indeed dominating the service (which they probably are), I think that would be a better explanation as to why. The majority of VC releases might as well be new to most of the Wii's userbase, since they certainly didn't play them way back then, and most likely know very little about them either. That being the case, rushing to buy only Nintendo branded games would be typical consumer behavior that has been shown to happen in the retail sector when there is little to no exposure given.
And even then you don't hear any complaints from publishers about Nintendo releasing Super Mario All Stars or Metroid Prime Trilogy!

Regarding the separation of VC and original games, I thought I read somewhere that this was going to be addressed in the 3DS eshop or one of its updates, and that the two categories would be merged. Perhaps I am mistaken, it makes little difference to the main point of this discussion since you are basing your argument on something that the majority of Wii consumers aren't as aware of as you are. If anything I was under the impression that such a merging would be beneficial to VC games since newer gamers are more likely to notice them this way and less likely to think of them as "out-dated, hard-core experiences". But once again, that's just my personal opinion and not a serious discussion point.

To be honest, I think you should drop this argument unless you can support it somehow. It seems to be mainly getting in the way of addressing the more relevant issues at hand and feels to me like a distraction at most.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:

In the grounds of objectivity its a fairly easy statement to make. Name a game on XBLA or PSN as significant as Sonic The Hedgehog (though the genesis game is on both, i'm pretty sure)

You didnt say "significant" you said "out and out BETTER" games that is what im calling you out on. I could name quite a few games that are just as good or better than Sonic 1 on XBL & PSN. Stacking, Braid, Scott Pilgrim, Wait a tic, Sonic 1 is on XBL and PSN. On the grounds of objectivity... you dont really have any, you dont own a HD console so how would you know what they offer???

Objectivity is a market thing. Have these games, as a whole, registered better with consumers than Sonic the Hedgehog did in the past, or even have they registered better than the still-available Sonic does today?

That's objectivity, which i don't need to own a single game console or even know what the hell Braid, Stacking, Geometry Wars, Pixeljunk ____, Castle Crashers, Limbo, et. al are.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:
gumby_trucker said:
one more thing I forgot to mention about VC, is that I don't recall seeing any numbers backing your claim that VC is more popular than WW, or that the sales are better. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At least this is a matter Nintendo are FINALLY addressing with the removal of the two separate categories. Why they can't do this on Wii as well I can only attribute to cluelessness and/or laziness.

I think it would be a matter of course that VC sells better than WiiWare. All three Super Mario Bros games, all the major Zelda games (i think, is Adventure of Link on there?) Metroid and Super Metroid, the NES classics, Mario Kart 64, the Genesis Sonic titles and some classic Bomberman games are both far more recognizable and out-and-out better games than anything that ends up on any of the three digital services today

pretty bold statement considering you do no own all three consoles, what are you basing your opinion on??? Nostalgia??

The Virtual Console is home to multiple games that to this very day, still turn up in top 10 lists of 'the best games of all time' on a pretty damn regular basis. Some of them still top those lists. You can call it nostalgia or whatever you like, it doesn't change the fact that it's true.

As much as I've enjoyed certain downloadable games on PSN, the best of the best (stuff like Braid, Trine and Limbo), aren't going to be threatening those games on those lists anytime soon, and I doubt they'll be as memorable as the Virtual Console games are now, 10-20 years from now.

VGChartz

Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:

Objectivity is a market thing. Have these games, as a whole, registered better with consumers than Sonic the Hedgehog did in the past, or even have they registered better than the still-available Sonic does today?

That's objectivity, which i don't need to own a single game console or even know what the hell Braid, Stacking, Geometry Wars, Pixeljunk ____, Castle Crashers, Limbo, et. al are.

What point are you trying to make exactly? Xbox LIve, PSN, Steam etc. all have a sizeable amount of classic games on offer, and nobody seems to think those games make it more difficult to sell newer, unproven ones...
If the situation is any different on Nintendo's service it has to be because of the service itself.

And just like I said to Rol, if there really is some inherent bias towards classic games on Nintendo's online system, why aren't we seeing more AAA 3rd party titles from years gone by?

the original trolls

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:

considering the state of SOnic today?? Id say yes they have, kinda hard to compare them since there are not much DL Sonic games, so in terms of sales who knows, but for sheer player feedback. Sonic just is not cutting it like he used too and this is coming from a fan

For your second point, i just wanted to know how do you know for a fact that those games on VC are better than games on the other services, if you have not played them. And no just looking at screenshots and youtube videos is not playing the game. How can you form an opinion on a matter if you only experienced half the situation?? And FYI there are some crap and meh games on VC as well its not all peaches and cream

gumby_trucker said:
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:

What point are you trying to make exactly? Xbox LIve, PSN, Steam etc. all have a sizeable amount of classic games on offer, and nobody seems to think those games make it more difficult to sell newer, unproven ones...
If the situation is any different on Nintendo's service it has to be because of the service itself.

And just like I said to Rol, if there really is some inherent bias towards classic games on Nintendo's online system, why aren't we seeing more AAA 3rd party titles from years gone by?

This, your on fire today. The fact is that Ninty didnt care for online service, so in classic Ninty fashion when they dont care about something they are like children being forced to do something, your gonna get half assed effort. Hell one of those guys said that the customers didnt care about online, so we know how they felt about it. Its no wonder why the competent devs stick to PSN, XBL and Steam. THe evidence is right there for all to see. THe funny thing is Ninty admitted that they dropped the ball on this and said they would change with 3DS and Wii U and there are people still trying to blame the WiiWare crap on 3rd parties

oniyide said:
Hephaestos said:

I agree with the 3rd party make no effort aspect... heck even the square outings were disappointing on Wii, when they should have had an easy time.

Capcom though I can't agree. Yes they put the Wii on the second plane... but they still released a lot more of quality titles than others.
And no RE:UC was not a test title. It came out early in the Wii's life when there weren't many rail shooters, a genre that just felt natural for the wii remote. You can't call that putting out crap on the console when they carter to a yet unchartered aspect of the console's controls. The game itself was incredibly long for a rails shooter, with some re-playability and a local 2 player mode. I'm a rail shooter fan and I liked RE:UC. The real test game for RE if there was any was RE4... which incidentally sold well.

Test games in the rail shooter genre are stuff like Dead Space... that you don't even understand why it's on Wii in the first place.

Whats not to understand, both RE rail shooters sold well, hell HOD 2&3 sold millions and that was just a dirty port. Not to mention the wiimote makes games like this much easier to make than before now that the devs dont have to worry if the customer has a guncon or whatever the hell else

Sorry i I have so much hate for that title that I forget to express my reasons. Dead Space came on the HD consoles... there is no reason to think that a spinoff would carter to the Wii audience.

If anything an original IP would probably have had more sucess on the Wii than that game...It also came out at a time where devs were saying left and right how games on Wii didn't sell (THQ's deadly creatures comes to mind), so the release of this spinoff in a different genre to an audience that didn't particularly carter to space horror shooters really felt to me as a game that fits this thread subject... a shitty game that the devs thought people were obligated to buy ("hey look it has the same name as the big boy's games, so surely you'll buy it!")...

This may be a personal view... But I've seen nothing to deviate me from it.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

1) Once again, your personal taste can not be used as an argument.
Furthermore, the assumption you keep using that games are either good or garbage is troll-worthy, and you know this. As is the assumption that all bad games are objectively bad and devoid of merit. Experience is at least as important as talent when it comes to making a successful developer, as are funds, time, proper exposure and so on.
Please don't build your argument around Icon Games exclusively, even if they are the originators of the OP they still make some valid general points.

2) Your VC argument is also not something I can take seriously unless you back it up with facts. At the very least show me a recent quote from a developer complaining about how they are competing with Super Mario Bros, and using that as the main reason why their games aren't selling. I'm not talking about the first year of WiiWare when pickings were slim, but rather recently. If you find such a quote, please explain to me why it is any different than games on Steam competing with Half Life 2, or DOOM or Abe's Oddysey/Exodus or competing services like GOG which make it their business to offer classics at a very competitive price.

3) There is no indication AFAIK that the online market isn't big enough to sustain both types of games successfully. Furthermore, if the issue really is as one sided as you present it, why aren't we seeing more classic releases from 3rd parties on VC? Why have Chrono-Trigger and FF6 arrived so late in the service's life? Where is Rogue Squadron for N64? (god knows it's not a rights-management issue with that one!).

4) If anything I'd say VC suffers from pretty much the exact same issues as WW, having no way to gage a game before making a purchase, and offering very little information on it. If Nintendo classics are indeed dominating the service (which they probably are), I think that would be a better explanation as to why. The majority of VC releases might as well be new to most of the Wii's userbase, since they certainly didn't play them way back then, and most likely know very little about them either. That being the case, rushing to buy only Nintendo branded games would be typical consumer behavior that has been shown to happen in the retail sector when there is little to no exposure given.
And even then you don't hear any complaints from publishers about Nintendo releasing Super Mario All Stars or Metroid Prime Trilogy!

5) Regarding the separation of VC and original games, I thought I read somewhere that this was going to be addressed in the 3DS eshop or one of its updates, and that the two categories would be merged. Perhaps I am mistaken, it makes little difference to the main point of this discussion since you are basing your argument on something that the majority of Wii consumers aren't as aware of as you are. If anything I was under the impression that such a merging would be beneficial to VC games since newer gamers are more likely to notice them this way and less likely to think of them as "out-dated, hard-core experiences". But once again, that's just my personal opinion and not a serious discussion point.

6) To be honest, I think you should drop this argument unless you can support it somehow. It seems to be mainly getting in the way of addressing the more relevant issues at hand and feels to me like a distraction at most.

1) I don't see this as a good vs. trash thing, I see it as good/indifferent/trash. Most WiiWare games fall into the latter two categories which is why I don't feel sorry for a game like LIT. Same when it comes to retail. Should anybody feel sorry about something like Klonoa? While it isn't a bad game, it isn't especially good either. This has nothing to do with my personal taste and I think you would find it hard yourself to justify that your examples were really good games. Nevermind that Microsoft practically bought console exclusivity for Super Meatboy, that title is not going to come to PSN.

I realize you have very specific and very high standards when it comes to purchasing games (Sonic notwithstanding ), but as horrifying as it may sound there are also many less critical gamers who appreciate something different to what Nintendo has to offer every once in a while, and are also willing to tolerate an experience that is less than perfect in order to allow room for new ideas to be expressed in the medium. I for one believe that anybody with even the slightest ability to identify with (and appreciate) the creative process can have an open enough mind to enjoy a flawed game, as long as it is clear the developer actually had an interesting vision in mind when creating it and wasn't just trying to cash-in on other people's success.

Incidentally I find that those who tend to over-emphasize the business side of development and heavily criticize such 'flawed experimental games' (such as Sean Malstrom) suffer from a lack of creative imagination and artistic inspiration, so I'm not surprised when such people on occasion miss the forest for the trees when analyzing the market. I can assure you no one side is more important than the other for the gaming industry.

In case of the games I mentioned, I wasn't trying to present them as top of the line games, but rather as mediocre games that can be fun but also have room for improvement (in accordance with my previous statement regarding mediocre games on the service). Personally I would have bought most of them if their issues were addressed or their price reduced.

2) The main reason why WiiWare games don't sell still is that the games themselves suck. VC games only make it harder, because they give consumers more choice. No developers would come out to openly state that they can't compete with 20 year old games, but it's logical that they would be happier, if VC didn't exist. It's right next to WiiWare in the Wii Shop menu, so direct competition.

I agree with you that the quality on WiiWare should be higher, and is currently rather polarized. But this is something Nintendo should have realized when they created such a harsh, rigid publishing environment. WW has never given the impression of being an opportunity for developers to express themselves, it was always going to be a cruel 'sink or swim' type of situation. Games are basically sent out to die with no room for continued support from the publisher/developer, and consumers are given next to no useful information about available games. That being a given, it's hard to tell which came first - developer apathy towards the platform or consumer apathy, and thus Nintendo can be equally blamed for the lackluster output on the service.

In addition, if VC games have seen a higher level of success, it is despite being on such an obtuse platform, and not because of it. Fortunately for the classics, they have already proven themselves, and built up an audience, but this process happened with the aid of lots of time and exposure which newer releases don't have because the service won't allow it!

The reason OoT and Super Mario Kart etc. are big sellers is because these games were already released in the past through multiple channels and were already given tons of exposure. In that sense their ability to sell in no way indicates that Nintendo is doing a competent job distributing games online. Quite the opposite in fact!

If you really want newer games to have an equal opportunity to find an audience, they should be given extra attention to compensate for having no reputation to begin with. The fact this doesn't happen only contributes to polarization on Nintendo's online service, and contributes to developer's resistance to support it.

3) I am not saying otherwise. The market is indeed big enough to sustain both offerings. The problem of WiiWare is that games either flat out suck or fall into the category of indifference. The reason why third party releases have dried up on VC is because third parties don't have such a fantastic catalog of games as Nintendo. Many games haven't aged well and each publisher knows the results of their previous games that were put up and the earlier ones are their less obscure ones. Square-Enix is one of the few with a good catalog and if you paid attention to handheld releases you would know that they sold these games in question as remakes not too long ago. Rogue Squadron is a Star Wars game and as such the license needs to be renewed with each re-release. This means additional costs and it is the main reason why pretty much all old games that were based on movie/TV licenses didn't come to Virtual Console yet.

Are you referring to a license from Lucas-Licensing? I'm pretty sure Lucas-Arts can get those pretty easily, being right next door and all. Other 3rd party Star Wars games were already released on the service, so getting internally developed games from Lucas Arts on there certainly shouldn't pose an issue. But that's really just one small example, and there are plenty of other old games that would be well received. From Lucas Arts, how about Day of the Tentacle? or Maniac Mansion or the Monkey Island games (the first two were recently remade) or Loom etc?

From others, how about Mega Man Legends or FF3-5 or Decent, Doom, Lemmings, Worms, all the cool Namco arcade games that were only released on VC in Japan? I agree with you that many games haven't aged as well as Nintendo classics, but besides some of the games I mentioned receiving remakes/updates, I find it a little bit difficult to believe Nintendo are the only ones who know how to make a good game! They are, however very good at marketing and building hype. But as OoT 3D shows us, even a classic masterpiece that is remade doesn't automatically steal the thunder from other good original games, not to the extent that you suggest anyway.

4) Nintendo is dominating the list indeed, with Sega (Sonic), Hudson (Bomberman) and Square-Enix filling the rest of the top 20 spots that can be viewed at any given time in the Wii Shop channel. The reason why these games dominate is trust. Trust is something that many third parties never built and it's always going to come back to bite them in the ass.

Agreed, but this is beside the point as it has nothing to do with online vs retail distribution and everything to do with exposure and transparency which I have already addressed. If you believe the situation wouldn't have improved with better exposure then we can debate this point.

5) Combined or not, it really doesn't matter. I just pointed out that the two categories still exist separately.
I already conceded the point.

6) The main issue at hand here is that third party games suck for the most part. Nintendo could provide the best service, but it wouldn't matter if nobody bothers to make games worthy of a purchase.

If this continues to be your main argument than the situation is hopeless to begin with and we hit a wall. There is no point in supporting Nintendo, be it in retail or online, if you are incapable of producing a similarly engaging experience. I don't believe the situation is as extreme as you make it out to be as that would imply there are multiple eco-systems of games on platforms like Steam, PlayStation, Xbox, iOS, and even PC that are driven mainly by ignorance! To presume the majority of gamers in the world are playing (and enjoying) inferior games because they haven't visited Nintendo's 'walled garden' is a bit ridiculous, frankly.

Clearly the case is then only of quality on Nintendo systems and not overall. If Nintendo wants to change this situation they have to actually put some effort into it, in order to cause a shift in this trend. Building a gimped distribution service and then stepping back in order for the market to 'take care of itself' is not the kind of responsible, forward thinking move I would expect of an industry leader.

What I would expect  - and this goes all the way back to my original comment which started this debate - is for them to present evidence that some games have at least a good enough chance to sell on Nintendo platforms as they do on competing ones. If I were a young developer making games today, and not someone holding on to a foolish grudge since the 8-bit days, this is what I would care about the most.

Regarding your response to Mr Khan:

XBLA and PSN don't have the same amount of juggernaughts as VC, not even close. Look up the sales numbers here on VGC, what XBLA and PSN have is a joke compared to what the VC has. Additionally, PS1 games have aged horribly for the most part and aside from a few exceptions (like Final Fantasy games) really aren't worth playing anymore. XBLA has barely anything in terms of noteworthy classics.

And to reiterate, all third parties combined do not come close to Nintendo of the 8- and 16-bit era. There are so many Nintendo games that have aged like fine wine while many of the back then good third party games are trash today. You won't see more AAA games from third parties, because there are not many more. You really should fire up the VC and catch up on what you've missed out on. There's a reason why Nintendo dominates the topselling games of all time list.

I have addressed your points here in different sections of my feedback above. Regarding building up my gaming library, I thankfully own a machine that can play most (if not all) of Nintendo's games, ever. In other words, I'm working on it

the original trolls

Hephaestos said:
oniyide said:
Hephaestos said:

I agree with the 3rd party make no effort aspect... heck even the square outings were disappointing on Wii, when they should have had an easy time.

Capcom though I can't agree. Yes they put the Wii on the second plane... but they still released a lot more of quality titles than others.
And no RE:UC was not a test title. It came out early in the Wii's life when there weren't many rail shooters, a genre that just felt natural for the wii remote. You can't call that putting out crap on the console when they carter to a yet unchartered aspect of the console's controls. The game itself was incredibly long for a rails shooter, with some re-playability and a local 2 player mode. I'm a rail shooter fan and I liked RE:UC. The real test game for RE if there was any was RE4... which incidentally sold well.

Test games in the rail shooter genre are stuff like Dead Space... that you don't even understand why it's on Wii in the first place.

Whats not to understand, both RE rail shooters sold well, hell HOD 2&3 sold millions and that was just a dirty port. Not to mention the wiimote makes games like this much easier to make than before now that the devs dont have to worry if the customer has a guncon or whatever the hell else

Sorry i I have so much hate for that title that I forget to express my reasons. Dead Space came on the HD consoles... there is no reason to think that a spinoff would carter to the Wii audience.

If anything an original IP would probably have had more sucess on the Wii than that game...It also came out at a time where devs were saying left and right how games on Wii didn't sell (THQ's deadly creatures comes to mind), so the release of this spinoff in a different genre to an audience that didn't particularly carter to space horror shooters really felt to me as a game that fits this thread subject... a shitty game that the devs thought people were obligated to buy ("hey look it has the same name as the big boy's games, so surely you'll buy it!")...

This may be a personal view... But I've seen nothing to deviate me from it.

Why not??? the RE rail shooters seemed to do alright sales wise and review wise, hell Extraction has higher review average than the RE ones. Your entitled to your opinion but why hold DS in contempt and not RE?? Whats the difference?? Its not like Capcom put an original RE game on Wii either and no im not counting the quick and dirty port of RE4. I for one enjoyed Extraction, but then again im a multi console owner