By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predictions on the future of the consoles: Ben Heckendorn's take

@Greay Acumen,

Agreed, I have a HDTV and my Wii looks great on it, but most people can't tell the difference, but I can, I'll give an example:

I went out and bought the component cables with my miss's once, the whole way home I talked it up, how great it's gonna look, got home, replaced the normal cables, it look great to me I noticed the difference straight away, my gf just laughed and said what are you talking about it looks the same.

Most people by into HDTV's because they have big screens, that's the main reason I bought mine anyway.

Around the Network

It does baffle me how anybody who's so focused on rebuilding old game systems and controllers into new portable/wireless ones can possibly raise a stink about a system like the Wii. You would think he would appreciate the attempt to move beyond the existing formulas, seeing as that's what he's usually trying to do when he develops his handhelds and controllers, but I guess not... Maybe he's bitter that he'll never be able to make a single-unit integrated Wii + controller, since the controller has to be separate from the system itself?

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Yet another "hardcore" gamer who doesn't realize that he represents a niche market.

His belief that the Wii reaching out to those who normally would have no interest in gaming or are lapsed gamers will crash the market is woefully flawed, as it won't matter even if people got out of gaming, as they would have already purchased the machine, not to mention Wii is self sustaining as people who play it want it so even if some drop out, it will continue as more and more people play the system. The reason the industry crashed in the 80's was due to a glut of terrible games, Nintendo systems never have that issue as you can always count on Nintendo games for quality. Also his idea that Hardcore are the puls and purse of the industry is flawed as we can see that the hardcore games only sell to a select group of the industry over and over, you have to reach beyond the hardcore to emerge victorious, every top system has reached beyond the hardcore, Wii just goes further.

His belief that Nintendo is faking the shortage is foolish, as he doesn't seem to realize the production bottlenecks involved in producing a system like the Wii ad the fact that Nitnendo doesn't want to overproduce and be left with excess stock, they'll keep ramping up, but slowly, so as to not overshoot demand.

His idea that Wii tech being outdated tech will hurt it is ridiculous, as it didn't stop the NES, which was facing 16 bit gaming PC's at launch.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

chopping up old videoggame systems doesnt make you an analyst for the whole industry benheck.

He may have well just said "I love the 360, anything different is wrong/bad"

Final Fantasy isnt a 10 million + seller :? Still he has some good points there , and just because he thinks that the PS3 will pick up steam , and that the Wii has some crap games , that doesnt means that hes a fanboy ( because lets be honest the PS3 has a chance to get back and the Wii really has some crappy , fast port 3rd party games ... ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Bladeneo said:
Hmm, replace his insults for the Wii with the 360/PS3 and youd all be saying how right he is :)

Ok wait, so because people disagree with him they can't say so...what???

That makes no sense. It would be like this scenario:

A person walks into your home and kicks your dog. You of course are angry and say "What the hell did you do that for?" or possibly just skip the questions and attack him to defend your dog.

So then he looks at you and says "Oh sure..get mad about it...but if I had pet him you wouldn't be so upset!!"...

I really hope you understand how silly that was to say. If people disagree they (should) say so, just having their opinions and sticking to them shouldn't be cause for condemnation.

What you were thinking of is hypocracy & double standards. For instance if a game was mistakenly announced for Console A and its fans praised it and then when the correction was made and those fans found out it was only for Console B and they trashed it..that would be hypocracy and show a clear double standard being set forth by those fans.

But in this case a group of people have an opinion and disagree with the article...so when you say "if the article agreed with your opinion you wouldn't disagree" it is not so much a statement of hypocracy but common sense and basic logic.

Ex: If the sky is blue, the sky is blue.

Logically speaking all true statements imply themselves. 

PS - Forgive me if I went to far with the explanation, boolean algebra is sort of something I enjoy a great deal...and yes...I know I am strange=P 

To Each Man, Responsibility

I think he made his first critical mistake when he talked about how all his friends have Rock Band and not a Wii.

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.'

Edit: I read more. He goes from bad to worse. There's so much misinformed BS in this write-up that I can't even consider this a serious effort. He's just making deranged fantasies for himself inspired by some kind of Xbot groupthink.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Sqrl said:
Bladeneo said:
Hmm, replace his insults for the Wii with the 360/PS3 and youd all be saying how right he is :)

Ok wait, so because people disagree with him they can't say so...what???

That makes no sense. It would be like this scenario:

A person walks into your home and kicks your dog. You of course are angry and say "What the hell did you do that for?" or possibly just skip the questions and attack him to defend your dog.

So then he looks at you and says "Oh sure..get mad about it...but if I had pet him you wouldn't be so upset!!"...

I really hope you understand how silly that was to say. If people disagree they (should) say so, just having their opinions and sticking to them shouldn't be cause for condemnation.

What you were thinking of is hypocracy & double standards. For instance if a game was mistakenly announced for Console A and its fans praised it and then when the correction was made and those fans found out it was only for Console B and they trashed it..that would be hypocracy and show a clear double standard being set forth by those fans.

But in this case a group of people have an opinion and disagree with the article...so when you say "if the article agreed with your opinion you wouldn't disagree" it is not so much a statement of hypocracy but common sense and basic logic.

Ex: If the sky is blue, the sky is blue.

Logically speaking all true statements imply themselves.

PS - Forgive me if I went to far with the explanation, boolean algebra is sort of something I enjoy a great deal...and yes...I know I am strange=P

My statement was made in a lighthearted manner, it was merely displaying how I feel about the majority of the fanbase on these particular forums. I'm not an idiot, I understand the concept of opinion and the difference between it and fact, so your comment comes across as rather condescending I must admit. 

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Zucas said:
Bladeneo said:

Hey I can call him an idiot I want. But I have more respect for him than you cause he has balls. At least he made a post on his site to get out of his opinions. AS silly as I might think they are he's respected in my book for at least saying it.

What you got. A mouth with nowhere to put it. LIke to see you write something up like this, instead of taking shots at others from the peanut gallery.

See, you're saying Im taking shots at others yet you've just insulted me by making assumptions. So, because I havent taken the time to write a rather large article about my feelings in this console generation so far (For all you know I have), I have no balls and am therefore automatically disrespected by you? Well, you havent written anything like this so what gives you the right to disrespect me for doing the same?

Your comments are out of place based on my own, which Ive already said was made light heartedly.

Regardless, youd like to see me write up something like this? So once again you presume I dont have the capacity to write an article like this? Looks youre the one taking shots really.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Bladeneo said:

My statement was made in a lighthearted manner, it was merely displaying how I feel about the majority of the fanbase on these particular forums. I'm not an idiot, I understand the concept of opinion and the difference between it and fact, so your comment comes across as rather condescending I must admit.

Well if you meant one thing then why did you say another? Or did I missunderstand you?

I'm not trying to be condescending, I was just responding to the comment that was made. If I try to respond to your implied meanings then it can easily become distorted as one or both of us become confused about what the other is talking about. All I have to go on is the words posted and I did ask you to forgive me if my responce was over explained.

You are of course free to agree or disagree with the article as you see fit, but it sounded to me like you were saying folks were being hypocritical in their responce to the article. Which is of course not true.

To Each Man, Responsibility