By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predictions on the future of the consoles: Ben Heckendorn's take

never read any of his previous papers but with the PS2 dominating everything then this years is the first article that would really challenge him - and he failed big time.

My god we're now into the 14th Month for the Wii and christmas has probably seen the best month for the Wii in terms of Sales, Software 1st and third party sales, advertising, word of mouth etc and there's still idiots like this who call themselves professionals on the whole Wii is a Fad point of view and dismissing it cos of his love of HD and specs. How many people are gonna apply old values to Nintendos new playing field - even though Nintendo have clearly shown they know best.

He predicts a new Wii model by christmas 08 - garbage IMO, Nintendo have stated time and time again that they have so many plans for the Wii they cannot implement cos of trying to meet demand and 08 may just be the year they meet that demand at some point so why would they then create new demand by releasing a new machine? If they are gonna release a machine with storage I reckon they will ensure that the old Wii can have some sort of storage solution also so they dont create a downloadable content can be downloaded on Wii X model but not Y type scenario.

Extremely Amateur in my opinion

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

@gawalls,

keep in mind most people are still working from NPD data or quarterly reports so in a lot of ways we are far far more informed than the vast majority of people. I would even go so far as to say that some of our members are significantly more informed than so-called professionals.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I was thinking of typing a long reply, but Stever89 has pretty much summed up everything I would say.

It's just a bad article. Not because I disagree with it (which I do), but because it contains numerous factual errors that could have been cleared up with a little bit of market research:

• Stating that Pokemon was a 1997 fad, despite the fact that Diamond/Pearl sold over 10m copies in the past year.
  • Stating that no Wii game would ever sell 5m, despite the fact that one already has (Wii Play) and several more are clearly nearing the mark.
  • Stating that "no AAA game has come out yet" in this generation. I think by any definition of the term, Halo and Mario Galaxy would have to count.
  • Stating that the PS3 is "picking up steam" in Japan.
  • Claiming that a new DS and new Wii will be out before the end of 2008. (Huh?)

As Sqrl just posted, the average gamer is vastly more ignorant of sales trends than those of us at VGChartz. That's a major reason why these kind of editorials look so bizarre to us; you can get away with this sort of biased argument on gamefaqs or Gamespot, or whatever - but it won't fly here. Folks are too knowledgeable. I had hoped that by now we'd stop seeing these FUD attacks on the Wii, but I guess not. We'll probably hear them right up until the next generation, at which point in time everyone will claim that they saw the Wii's success from the beginning.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Quite funny, he thinks that Pokemon Phenomenon is dead when the last chapter "Diamond and Pearl" has sold over 10 million copy.

Where is the Wii Bingo ?

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

As a 41 year old gamer who lived through the burst in the 80's I do agree with him somewhat. I do need to ask the Wii fans that are members here are you the people purchasing and loving the vast majority of Wii games? Are you really eagerly awaiting WiiFit or just love the thought of a Wii title selling very well and adding more Wii consoles to people that most likely be purchasing the big time titles you want 3rd parties to start producing for the Wii. Do you really dig Carnival Games, WiiPlay, Mario Party 8,9,10,11? Is that what you want out of games?

Libraries sell systems not individual games

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
He is definitely a "hardcore" gamer.

The term "hardcore", according to Merriam-Webster dictionary: "a relatively small enduring core of society marked by apparent resistance to change"

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

thx1138 said:
As a 41 year old gamer who lived through the burst in the 80's I do agree with him somewhat. I do need to ask the Wii fans that are members here are you the people purchasing and loving the vast majority of Wii games? Are you really eagerly awaiting WiiFit or just love the thought of a Wii title selling very well and adding more Wii consoles to people that most likely be purchasing the big time titles you want 3rd parties to start producing for the Wii. Do you really dig Carnival Games, WiiPlay, Mario Party 8,9,10,11? Is that what you want out of games?

Well, I'm not a Wii owner but I could say to you that I'm glad of the direction that Nintendo is pursuing with both Nintendo DS and Wii.

I laugh at the " boy’s treehouse " attitude. 

thx1138 said:
There'salways gonna be games on any system that you dont like (I could probably name 10 games you dont like for every game you do on your favourite system) and yes I am looking forward to Wii Fit, I actually have torn cartiledge and my physio has me standing on one leg against the coffee table, leaning from side to side,

jogging and cycling.

I asked her about Wii Fit and she said they were thinking of getting it in their gym asw it's perfect for my type of injury to maintain balance and rebuild muscles.  Seems like it was made for me with it's balancing exercises

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Zucas said:
Bladeneo said:
Hmm, replace his insults for the Wii with the 360/PS3 and youd all be saying how right he is :)

Hey I can call him an idiot I want. But I have more respect for him than you cause he has balls. At least he made a post on his site to get out of his opinions. AS silly as I might think they are he's respected in my book for at least saying it.

What you got. A mouth with nowhere to put it. LIke to see you write something up like this, instead of taking shots at others from the peanut gallery.

People that express themselves openly are often banned for doing so and are accused of trolling and flamebaiting. So that is why most people can't be bothered.

I have followed his website for years but I wish he had spent as much time reaserching for this article as he does for one of his coversions. Personally I would have loved to see him make a portable Wii. He could have done it for VC games only and elimanted to sensor bar. That would have been awesome. Imagine the libarary of games on that portable. No, but thank god for the 360 laptop.

Most of the inaccuray has already been pointed out on this site but him pointing out how awesome Rock Band and GuitarHero are for his hardcore group on the 360, but there is no way anyone but soccer moms and terminal patients play casual games on the Wii. THat stuff just makes me sad. I think it is a fault of many american gamers to overstate the 360 because this market is muchdifferent than the rest of the world.

Also if he had been following Japan at all he would realize that the Wii/DS are what is preventing a crash, not causing it. 

Why is it that no 360 fans are ever willing to bring up the RROD in their wrapups? 

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt