By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 360 First-Party 'Has Been Superior' to PS3, Wii, says Microsoft

pretty much expected to hear that from the source.

Around the Network
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
Ping_ii said:
sales2099 said:
he just should have said it was beter then sonys

after all, no ps3 exclusive can touch the sales of Halo or gears

LOL?

1.how does sales make a game better? no 360 exclusive even scored 96 on meta and won over 35 GOTY like uncharted 2 did sales aint gonna change that....

2.No ps3 exclusive can touch halo and gears sales? is that why GT5 outsold gears already? not to mention GTprolog and Uncharted 2 aint even that far behinde gears and no halo even sold more than the highest selling GT game(15m).....

3. Gears isn't even first party READ THE TITLE^^^ so I dont even know why your bringing that up its just adds more proof that MS first party is weak... 

1. its a business. corporations value sales more. Has nothing to do with quality. Still with the Uncharted 2?? LOL i bet youll say that well into the next gen.

2. GT is the exception to the rule......I thought this was common knowledge?

3. Gears is published by MS Game Studios.

MS published Gears, but they don't own the IP, which is why shit will hit the fan come next year. Prepare to be drowned in Halo.

Doesnt own the IP....but still is MGS. Thats the point. 

Halo.......a proven AAA franchise (spinoffs and expansions get AA but thats still great). A game millions of loyal fans just cant get enough of......

Drown away I say :)

To me Halo is in the shadow of Gears (which has a crappy storyline, but the action is amazing). Halo is the image of what the Xbox product is all about (which is quite sad and it should be more diverse). The Xbox console has tired me out from first person shooters. The only refreshing shooter I see coming out is Rage and Deus Ex, but then again they aren't solely shooters but have other genre elements. I like depth. You are free to drown in a pool of the same. It just sucks that games like Dark Souls, The Witcher 2 and Catherine will go unnoticed. Look at their sales on the Xbox 360 to see what I mean when the time comes. Wrong clientel and I am getting another 360 for the Witcher 2, so I know its value and it's more valuable that probably the whole 360 library imo (yet will not even reach the sales in which it's worth).When Sony wasn't doing their job earlier in the gen, Microsoft was the image of what Sony was with the PS2, giving affordability and variety to all. Now they are just like the old Xbox. Luckily Microsoft published the Witcher 2. I'll enjoy that.....you enjoy your Halo.

It seems likely that witcher 2 is going to come to ps3, so you might wanna wait on buying another 360 

Projekt CD likes Sony, but Microsoft published the Witcher 2 outside of PC. The PS3 isn't getting it if they aren't getting it now.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
Ping_ii said:
sales2099 said:
he just should have said it was beter then sonys

after all, no ps3 exclusive can touch the sales of Halo or gears

LOL?

1.how does sales make a game better? no 360 exclusive even scored 96 on meta and won over 35 GOTY like uncharted 2 did sales aint gonna change that....

2.No ps3 exclusive can touch halo and gears sales? is that why GT5 outsold gears already? not to mention GTprolog and Uncharted 2 aint even that far behinde gears and no halo even sold more than the highest selling GT game(15m).....

3. Gears isn't even first party READ THE TITLE^^^ so I dont even know why your bringing that up its just adds more proof that MS first party is weak... 

1. its a business. corporations value sales more. Has nothing to do with quality. Still with the Uncharted 2?? LOL i bet youll say that well into the next gen.

2. GT is the exception to the rule......I thought this was common knowledge?

3. Gears is published by MS Game Studios.

MS published Gears, but they don't own the IP, which is why shit will hit the fan come next year. Prepare to be drowned in Halo.

Doesnt own the IP....but still is MGS. Thats the point. 

Halo.......a proven AAA franchise (spinoffs and expansions get AA but thats still great). A game millions of loyal fans just cant get enough of......

Drown away I say :)

To me Halo is in the shadow of Gears (which has a crappy storyline, but the action is amazing). Halo is the image of what the Xbox product is all about (which is quite sad and it should be more diverse). The Xbox console has tired me out from first person shooters. The only refreshing shooter I see coming out is Rage and Deus Ex, but then again they aren't solely shooters but have other genre elements. I like depth. You are free to drown in a pool of the same. It just sucks that games like Dark Souls, The Witcher 2 and Catherine will go unnoticed. Look at their sales on the Xbox 360 to see what I mean when the time comes. Wrong clientel and I am getting another 360 for the Witcher 2, so I know its value and it's more valuable that probably the whole 360 library imo (yet will not even reach the sales in which it's worth).When Sony wasn't doing their job earlier in the gen, Microsoft was the image of what Sony was with the PS2, giving affordability and variety to all. Now they are just like the old Xbox. Luckily Microsoft published the Witcher 2. I'll enjoy that.....you enjoy your Halo.

It seems likely that witcher 2 is going to come to ps3, so you might wanna wait on buying another 360 

Projekt CD likes Sony, but Microsoft published the Witcher 2 outside of PC. The PS3 isn't getting it if they aren't getting it now.

Heard that before with alot of games, ME 2, GTA episodes, Limbo ect. so I wouldn't bet on it just wait and see 

Runa216 said:
The only place Xbox beats Playstation in terms of quality games is the download sector. where PSN gets the Pixeljunk stuff and Fat Princess, Xbox Live gets LIMBO...wait, that was just released on PSN. then there's Braid...wait, that was too. What about Super Meat Boy?....right, that's on PC. Oh, I know, Shadow Complex!

But seriously, XBLA has some phenomenal games, where PSN has some good ones too, but not nearly as many and not quite as good.

When it comes to Retail, I just can't argue against the PS3, sorry guys. sure, not one of them sell through the roof, but that's not for lack of quality, it's because Sony has admitted they "won't put forth the [aggressive] marketing Microsoft does." they don't go on campaigns to promote their games, and have always been advocates of "make good games, they will buy."

You wanna go that route? I could list the games that were all PS3 exclusives at one point, that the 360 ended up getting day and date of the release. Otherwise, stop pronouncing your opinion as if it's an absolute fact.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Jay520 said:

If he's talking about sales, then I don't know how he could believe they're outpacing Nintendo? The Wii got where it is on exclusives alone.

But then again, I just skimmed through the text, only reading every other sentence fully through...

I can bet you the Wii is behind the PS3 with all those bundles. Microsoft's right in sales they should be first excluding bundles.

Around the Network
themanwithnoname said:
Runa216 said:
The only place Xbox beats Playstation in terms of quality games is the download sector. where PSN gets the Pixeljunk stuff and Fat Princess, Xbox Live gets LIMBO...wait, that was just released on PSN. then there's Braid...wait, that was too. What about Super Meat Boy?....right, that's on PC. Oh, I know, Shadow Complex!

But seriously, XBLA has some phenomenal games, where PSN has some good ones too, but not nearly as many and not quite as good.

When it comes to Retail, I just can't argue against the PS3, sorry guys. sure, not one of them sell through the roof, but that's not for lack of quality, it's because Sony has admitted they "won't put forth the [aggressive] marketing Microsoft does." they don't go on campaigns to promote their games, and have always been advocates of "make good games, they will buy."

You wanna go that route? I could list the games that were all PS3 exclusives at one point, that the 360 ended up getting day and date of the release. Otherwise, stop pronouncing your opinion as if it's an absolute fact.

sure, let's go that route...wait, nevermind, you completely missed the point.  I was joking, which is why I followed it up with "but seriously, it has some awesome games, more than the PS3".  I just did the math earlier today and lemme see some downloads the PS3 has (And feel free to correct me, I didn't take it from a proper list, I made it myself):

Wipeout HD Fury
Flower
PixelJunk Shooter
Joe Danger (?)
Critter Crunch (??)
Shatter (Also on PC)
Super Stardust HD
PixelJunk Shooter 2
PixelJunk Monsters
Everyday Shooter
Trine (Also on PC)
Echocrome (Not sure if counts, due to it also being on PSP)
PixelJunk Eden
Fat PRincess
Echochrome ii
Soldner-X2 Final Prototype (???)
ZEN Pinball

See what I mean?  Pretty much the PixelJunk series, Flower, and Fat Princess.  Not a bad list, but nothing spectacular either. Xbox, on the other hand, has quite a few more great games for download: 

Super Meat Boy (Also on PC)
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
Shadow Complex
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Trials HD
Pinball FX 2
Splosion Man
ms Splosion Man
Bomberman Live
The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom (?)
Defense Grid: Awakening (??)
The Dishwasher
The Dishwasher 2: Vampire Smile
Snoopy Flying Ace (!!)
ilomilo
Darwinia+
Toy Soldiers(!?)
Cloning Clyde (???)
Rocket Riot (?!)
Chime (?!?)

(the ? and ! are just there to show I have never heard of them before) 

There's the Splosion Man series, Geometry Wars, Super Meat Boy, Shadow Complex, The Dishwasher series, and ilomilo...those are a great set of games, not to mention the system also used to have LIMBO and Braid as exclusives...they later went to PS3 but they're still 360 games in my eyes.  

I REALLY don't want to have to copy and paste my entire findings...over 100 retail exclusives with a combined review score average of 80 or more.  Wii has the most with 38, followed closely by PS3 with 36, and only 27 retail exclusives from 360. That gives the PS3 the overall best list of games, since it has the most highly-ranked exclusives (36 retail and 17 downloads) and shares the largest number of multiplatform games with the 360.  

Here are some stats: 

PS3
36 retail
17 downloads
53 total
Also shares most of its library with the 360

27 retail
18 downloads
45 total
also shares most of it's library with the PS3

Wii
38 retail
2 downloads (disappointing, I thought it had more!) 
40 total
Only shares a few games with PS3 and 360 (namely the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games) 

This means that, objectively, when it comes to high ranking exclusives, the PS3 has the most by a fairly wide margin, with a nice balance between having the second most retail games followed by the second most downloads, resulting in the overall highest number since the 360 is a bit lacking in retail games and the wii is severly lacking in quality downloads. 

I got my data from Gamerankings, I only included games that had an 80% average score or higher.  I contemplated taking out remakes and compilations as well, but I felt if there was enough effort put into it, it counted (like the God of War, Sly, and Metroid Prime collections, the Resident Evil 4 and Okami Remakes, and the upcoming Team Ico collection (not yet added).  Downloads of old games like Symphony of the Night do not count.)  

buuuut I don't even know why I bothered saying all this, I guarantee someone will just tell me I'm biased even though I used hard, irrefutable numbers.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

dsage01 said:
Jay520 said:

If he's talking about sales, then I don't know how he could believe they're outpacing Nintendo? The Wii got where it is on exclusives alone.

But then again, I just skimmed through the text, only reading every other sentence fully through...

I can bet you the Wii is behind the PS3 with all those bundles. Microsoft's right in sales they should be first excluding bundles.

No, the first party totals for Nintendo beat the hell out of either Sony or Microsoft even if you extract Wii Sports (and perhaps some 20 or so million in Mario Kart Wii, NSMBWii, and Sports Resort more recently, that were sold through bundles), so that's not it

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

naruball said:
smroadkill15 said:

I knew development cost and such goes into account whether a game is AAA or not, but I always considered scores and reviews as a big part of it. You can spend huge amounts on development, but if quality doesn't reflect those cost, reviews and scores will have more impact on the game sales than the development cost.  

Isn't Alan Wake considered an AAA game? It has an 83 average score on metecritic, but it had some very positive reviews and a 5-6 year development cycle. Same with GT5.

I'll just say this, review wise it's considered AA, but development cost wise I think it's AAA.  The same can be said for GT5.  

Wrong thread

smroadkill15 said:
naruball said:
smroadkill15 said:

I knew development cost and such goes into account whether a game is AAA or not, but I always considered scores and reviews as a big part of it. You can spend huge amounts on development, but if quality doesn't reflect those cost, reviews and scores will have more impact on the game sales than the development cost.  

Isn't Alan Wake considered an AAA game? It has an 83 average score on metecritic, but it had some very positive reviews and a 5-6 year development cycle. Same with GT5.

I'll just say this, review wise it's considered AA, but development cost wise I think it's AAA.  The same can be said for GT5.  

You're correct. Theres no AA about Alan Wake and GT5. Both are AAA's. Development cost and marketing is the only thing that constitutes a AAA.