By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June NPD - X360 507k, 3DS 143k, Wii 273k, PS3 276k~ DS 386k

June 2011:
Nintendo family 802 k units

June 2009:
DS family 830k
Nintendo family 1450k

June 2008:
Wii "family" 867k
DS family 1018k
Nintendo family 1885k

:D

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Hyruken said:
The whole laptop numbers thing seems wrong in my opinion. That would mean almost as many people bought those laptops as people who bought 3ds for the month.
On top of that the same deal was on here in the UK and didn't see a bump.

Free consoles are given out all the time. You can get them with tvs, with subscriptions to things like gas, insurance etc, can get them with phone contracts and so on. I doubt very much 100k-200k were because of that deal.

i'm not very confident in this number but i google it and there is a number floating out there that dell sells ~700,000 computers a year just in the US.  that means an monthly average of 58,333.  The deal was valid for HP computers too.  i dunno, it is circumstantial evidence but the size of the bump seems to be on the same order of computers sold. 

kitler53 said:
Hyruken said:
The whole laptop numbers thing seems wrong in my opinion. That would mean almost as many people bought those laptops as people who bought 3ds for the month.

Free consoles are given out all the time. You can get them with tvs, with subscriptions to things like gas, insurance etc, can get them with phone contracts and so on. I doubt very much 100k-200k were because of that deal.

i'm not very confident in this number but i google it and there is a number floating out there that dell sells ~700,000 computers a year just in the US.  that means an monthly average of 58,333.  The deal was valid for HP computers too.  i dunno, it is circumstantial evidence but the size of the bump seems to be on the same order of computers sold. 

But you also need to be a student and have valid ID, and the offer was for $700 laptops plus.

btw the laptop offer started at May 22

Seece said:
kitler53 said:
Hyruken said:

But you also need to be a student and have valid ID, and the offer was for $700 laptops plus.

Which explains why it was only a ~100k bump from this promotion for Dell/HP/others and not a million unit bump.

You'd be very surprised at how many students are buying college laptops for the next school year around now, and quite often for much more than $700. This number doesn't surprise me at all, and could even have been much higher. Throw in this deal and a $700 purchase gets you $1000 worth of product so it's a win win!

Also, to the UK portion, how do you know there was no bump? Did the UK's version of NPD release figures already to show no bump, or are you just going off of VGChartz or other tracking services?

Around the Network

The deal was many brands of computers. Dell was featured, but the brand I picked up was a Samsung. Samsung 9 series to be exact which is a beautiful machine. Now I would suspect the 360 number doesnt include all units. I would suspect it depends on how the retailer writes up the sale. If they have a price on the 360 then it would be included otherwise it wouldnt. Since from my experience Best Buy did record a price I would suspect Best Buy reported the 360 as a sale and NPD and VGC connections should report them as such. As they should anyway since the point is to track user base not revenue collected.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

nightsurge said:
Seece said:
kitler53 said:
Hyruken said:

Which explains why it was only a ~100k bump from this promotion for Dell/HP/others and not a million unit bump.

You'd be very surprised at how many students are buying college laptops for the next school year around now, and quite often for much more than $700. This number doesn't surprise me at all, and could even have been much higher. Throw in this deal and a $700 purchase gets you $1000 worth of product so it's a win win!

Also, to the UK portion, how do you know there was no bump? Did the UK's version of NPD release figures already to show no bump, or are you just going off of VGChartz or other tracking services?

I mean bump as in the VGC UK numbers. The deal is also on in Canada and France and there has been no increase on VGC for those places either.

And of course there are a lot of students. I don't know how it is in the US but here you start in September. So i doubt these people would be buying laptops in their droves 4 months before they will actually use them at uni. Plus they would not even have had their loans yet.

Plus if you actually look at the deal in detail there are quite a few hurdles you must jump before you can get the free 360. You have to have a valid student ID  and .edu email add from the ages of 16 to 19, at bare minimum buy a $699 laptop and purchase windows 7. The deal runs from 22nd of may until september 3rd. So 4 months almost. If the student stuff is the reason for the boost then it will continue to happen in the coming months too right? Especially closer to term time when people will be buying their new gear?

So if I read this right the site's saying 507 K by NPD however this includes sales not estimated by the site as per this comment in the analysis from The Source:

"Michael Pachter did tell me in email however that much of the X360 year over year rise came from a) free X360s given away with Windows 7, and b) X360s sold directly to distributors (some of these units apparently ended up in Brazil) - and Microsoft convinced NPD to count both. Pachter didn't have figures on how many units those promotions added, but estimates that X360 would have dropped slightly year over year (-5% to -10%) without those inclusions."

Where does this put the site's initial estimates? Okay as they didn't see those sales through their polling methods or still under tracking 360?

I thought freebies, etc. went on for all consoles fairly regularly but The Source seems to implying this was a much bigger impact than usual.

Even if this somewhat downplays the 507 K it seems like the 360 still did the best overall even if you discount the noted units from the total. -5% at retail compared to the others is pretty good for the region.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

nothing why,just VGChartz don't wanna adjust it

NPD=right,who cares even free X360s given from Ballmer
and "X360s sold directly to distributors (some of these units apparently ended up in Brazil) - and Microsoft convinced NPD to count both"<-lolwat

Reasonable said:
So if I read this right the site's saying 507 K by NPD however this includes sales not estimated by the site as per this comment in the analysis from The Source:

"Michael Pachter did tell me in email however that much of the X360 year over year rise came from a) free X360s given away with Windows 7, and b) X360s sold directly to distributors (some of these units apparently ended up in Brazil) - and Microsoft convinced NPD to count both. Pachter didn't have figures on how many units those promotions added, but estimates that X360 would have dropped slightly year over year (-5% to -10%) without those inclusions."

Where does this put the site's initial estimates? Okay as they didn't see those sales through their polling methods or still under tracking 360?

I thought freebies, etc. went on for all consoles fairly regularly but The Source seems to implying this was a much bigger impact than usual.

Even if this somewhat downplays the 507 K it seems like the 360 still did the best overall even if you discount the noted units from the total. -5% at retail compared to the others is pretty good for the region.

Oh, most definitely. Only a 5% drop is extremely impressive considering the numbers it was putting up last year. As far as YOY performance is concerned the stuff MS is pulling off this late into the generation is breaking all sorts of precedents.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4