By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Transformers 3 Already the highest grossing movie of 2011 in the U.S so far!!!

Do you like the Transformers trilogy?

Yes 7 36.84%

It's ok 2 10.53%

No 3 15.79%

The first movie was ok but enough already 1 5.26%

Hate all three and Michae... 6 31.58%

Total:19
silicon said:
disolitude said:
I love the cartoons and thing these movies are borderline garbage. So don't look at old school transformers fans if you want to blame someone for the success of this franchise.

Only thing that could have saved part 3 is having Megatron stomp on Shia Lebufs face...and that didn't happen so...

Watch the cartoons again... the third movie is basically the exact same as a story line from the cartoons. Although the lines in the cartoons are a lot cheesiers.... "You Decpta-bums!!!"

IMO the movies capture the essence of the cartoons perfectly.

I do watch cartoons from time to time and I can see someone who didn't watch transformers back in the day 20+ years ago and is just watching them now say this. However even when watched today, the cartoons have a sense of fun about them that movies don't.

The movies are complete mess in terms of plot, character motives, character development, robot design(I can't tell any of the decepticons apart)... Then you add the cringe worthy scenes like the one where autobots are hiding in the back yard from parents in part one and the horrble camera work and movie pacing which Michael Bay is known for and you have complete garbage based on pretty cool and fun original material.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
silicon said:
disolitude said:
I love the cartoons and thing these movies are borderline garbage. So don't look at old school transformers fans if you want to blame someone for the success of this franchise.

Only thing that could have saved part 3 is having Megatron stomp on Shia Lebufs face...and that didn't happen so...

Watch the cartoons again... the third movie is basically the exact same as a story line from the cartoons. Although the lines in the cartoons are a lot cheesiers.... "You Decpta-bums!!!"

IMO the movies capture the essence of the cartoons perfectly.

I do watch cartoons from time to time and I can see someone who didn't watch transformers back in the day 20+ years ago and is just watching them now say this. However even when watched today, the cartoons have a sense of fun about them that movies don't.

The movies are complete mess in terms of plot, character motives, character development, robot design(I can't tell any of the decepticons apart)... Then you add the cringe worthy scenes like the one where autobots are hiding in the back yard from parents in part one and the horrble camera work and movie pacing which Michael Bay is known for and you have complete garbage based on pretty cool and fun original material.

Wow i think the movies are pretty great and do a good job of portraying the cartoons.

Mad55 said:

Wow i think the movies are pretty great and do a good job of portraying the cartoons.

I think that the biggest fail of the movies is that none of the actions have any weight. Robots are falling apart, things are exploding, people are dying...but do we really care about any of that? Michael bay doesn't know how to make the audience care about what is happening on screen and we are just kinda sitting there and watching the fireworks for 2 and a half hours.

disolitude said:
Mad55 said:

I think that the biggest fail of the movies is that none of the actions have any weight. Robots are falling apart, things are exploding, people are dying...but do we really care about any of that? Michael bay doesn't know how to make the audience care about what is happening on screen and we are just kinda sitting there and watching the fireworks for 2 and a half hours.

Maybe you don't care but I know people that were sad when Prime died in the 2nd movie. Actually I know a few people that cried during that part (they were females). I remember watching the cartoon when I was younger and loving it but it was really cheesy when I revisit it now. The movies capture some of that. Also the biggest problem with the movies is Transformers is supposed to be about the Autobots vs. Decepticons yet the movie has added the humans into it. In the cartoon the humans weren't much of a factor at all.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

It depresses me not because it's successful, I have no issue with that, but because the movie (like many others) is so weak and shallow in script and acting against the big hitting summer movies of the past.

Comparing characters, script, etc. in big summer movies from Jaws all the way back through stuff like Raiders of the Lost Ark I'm just horrified at how the ability to have fun, hugely popular movies with actual acting and good scripts has gone out the window to be replaced by dross aimed at the lowest level of accessibility.

As a dad when I take my kids to see summer movies it feels like, year on year, the level of sophistication is dropping. Heck, even Pixar somewhat failed me this year with their blandest, most by the numbers film yet.

Is it really that hard with the millions available for budgets to actually develop a witty script like say Raiders, iron out all the stupid plot holes and hire some decent actors?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
slipknotfan said:

Can someone please explain the appeal of these movies. Maybe its because I never watched the cartoon as a kid and I'm more of a horror fan, but the movies beside part 1 have gotten horrible reviews and people still keep flocking to them. It has already passed Hangover 2 with over 260 million to become the highest grossing movie so far this year! Whats next for this franchise, Transformers vs Gobots? Maybe Transformers vs. Transmorphers!!!! It's pretty sad that the only horror movie I have to look forward to this summer is a remake of Fright Night!

And my faith in humanity keeps falling quickly. The appeal of these movies is that they're junk food for the brain: it's nothing but explosions and sexist exploitation. Though even action-wise the movies aren't that great due to Bay's direction being godawful with shaky-cam and rapid-fire editing (though in the third one 3D cameras prevented that) so even on a technical standpoint the films fail. Don't even get me started on those racist-bots from the second film (seriously, screw you, Kruger). This year has been miserable for movies in general

In america NOT worldwide

Pirates 4 is

and Harry Potter will BURY it next week

LONG LIVE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Goddbless said:
disolitude said:
Mad55 said:

Maybe you don't care but I know people that were sad when Prime died in the 2nd movie. Actually I know a few people that cried during that part (they were females). I remember watching the cartoon when I was younger and loving it but it was really cheesy when I revisit it now. The movies capture some of that. Also the biggest problem with the movies is Transformers is supposed to be about the Autobots vs. Decepticons yet the movie has added the humans into it. In the cartoon the humans weren't much of a factor at all.

I am still puzzled to see why most people would care about optimus getting killed in the way michael bay decided to present it but sure, lets say that is the case...1 scene where people cared about on screen actions. In a series which is 7.5 hours long.

Also, compare that scene to the way optimus died in the 1985s Transofrmers "the movie" cartoon, and there is no contest. That is an awesome movie even today...

And yes, focus on humans is the second biggest problem.

And the third problem is that the plot is just retardedly dumb and motivations/actions make no sense.

Example - So Sentinel Prime and Megatron teleported 100s of decepticons to earth...and plan is to get Autobots kicked off the planet and then send Shia Lebuf with a robo spy wrist watch to try to find out what the plans of 8 autobots are once the space ship launches taking them of the planet. Lets NOT just send 100s of decepticons we just teleported to attack the autobots and destroy them to little bits.

I know michael bay or whoever wrote this thought it would be dramatic to blow up the space ship last minute and all...but actions absolutely make no sense what so ever.

Aiddon said:
slipknotfan said:

Can someone please explain the appeal of these movies. Maybe its because I never watched the cartoon as a kid and I'm more of a horror fan, but the movies beside part 1 have gotten horrible reviews and people still keep flocking to them. It has already passed Hangover 2 with over 260 million to become the highest grossing movie so far this year! Whats next for this franchise, Transformers vs Gobots? Maybe Transformers vs. Transmorphers!!!! It's pretty sad that the only horror movie I have to look forward to this summer is a remake of Fright Night!

And my faith in humanity keeps falling quickly. The appeal of these movies is that they're junk food for the brain: it's nothing but explosions and sexist exploitation. Though even action-wise the movies aren't that great due to Bay's direction being godawful with shaky-cam and rapid-fire editing (though in the third one 3D cameras prevented that) so even on a technical standpoint the films fail. Don't even get me started on those racist-bots from the second film (seriously, screw you, Kruger). This year has been miserable for movies in general

To michael bay slight credit, he did get a lot better with shakey cam. Action in part 3 is actually watchable and action scenes are clearly shot... Everything else though stands for me as well.

*Waits for HP to absolutely smash it to the ground*