By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do we exist,GOD or BIG BANG theory?

Who created everything?

GOD 184 41.82%

BIG BANG 251 57.05%

Total:435
Reasonable said:
No God described in any Earthly religion anyway, that's for sure - because every God so described (and there's a lot of them) clearly knew nothing about the Universe at all.

I'd also point out it's important to separate the notion of a Creator from a God. If you read Richard Dawkins, for example, you'll see despite being an ardent atheist he has no issue with the concept of an as yet unknown Creator; his beef is with clearly false and incorrect religions, their Gods and the notion of an afterlife.

So is there a Creator? Could be. Who knows, although in that direction we immediately hit the notion of who created the creator?

Was there a Big Bang of some form? Sure seems like it. All the observable evidence points to a Universe (or multiple Universes in some theories) with a definite start point.

So I'll vote Big Bang as by God I presume you mean God as defined in current religions and not a Creator unknown with no supernatural elements.

How about if time changes under certain conditions causing it to 'slow' and thus the closer we approach the start of the universe the slower time moves until, in fact, it reveals the non-starting start... that is, there was no start of the universe... who knows?

Beliefs are a mixture of upbringing, experience and choice. None of them are true or correct.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Around the Network
WiseOwl said:
It have to be GOD are we would of died out and became extinct like the dinosaurs a long time ago.

Homo Sapiens is a fairly young species by any paleological standard, and species of dinosaurs got to have much longer times than we have, at least as far as we know

If we are only meant to be one other species in a long run, we still haven't had the time alotted to us as just any other species (mammals get a million years on average, and while that roughly casts pre-human species back about a million years ago, homo sapiens are younger still)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I've been thinking about this a long time and I came tot he conclusion there has to be a God (I follow Islam BTW). There are a lot of loose ends in Science today that just can't be explained. What caused there to be a Big bang? Was there a big bang or is it just something that scientists threw out there because it could not be explained? The qur an states that the universe is expanding. Where did Humans come from? Most scientists of course believe in evolution that humans likely evolved from primates.I personally believe in evolution as well since its obviously happening around us in the modern day. But there was always a loose end (from what I know) in connecting humans to primates. A final skeleton was never found to connect humans to primate to confirm humans evolved from monkeys. And that is again where most people and even some scientists believe God is the answer. Religion also carries the answers to a lot of loose ends that scientists have today. Its just that scientists are not ready to accept defeat (which is commendable). For example in the qur an it was mentioned that the Earth was round and it revolved around the sun (in a time period where most believed the earth was flat and everything revolved around. The book even mentions the possibility of alien life from its first verse.

So basically in the end the point is religion is a faith. You really have to believe it. It does carry a lot of answers that scientist are struggling to find today. However most scientist believe in just numbers and how they can solve everything. However the fact is that numbers are not able to prove God exists since numbers themselves are just a pattern scientists found to explain many things. So OP you basically have to decide.

/my 2 cents

read this if you want some more details and connections with qur an and science- http://www.ummah.net/islam/taqwapalace/science/science2.htm

SpartenOmega117 said:

I've been thinking about this a long time and I came tot he conclusion there has to be a God (I follow Islam BTW). There are a lot of loose ends in Science today that just can't be explained. What caused there to be a Big bang? Was there a big bang or is it just something that scientists threw out there because it could not be explained? The qur an states that the universe is expanding. Where did Humans come from? Most scientists of course believe in evolution that humans likely evolved from primates.I personally believe in evolution as well since its obviously happening around us in the modern day. But there was always a loose end (from what I know) in connecting humans to primates. A final skeleton was never found to connect humans to primate to confirm humans evolved from monkeys. And that is again where most people and even some scientists believe God is the answer. Religion also carries the answers to a lot of loose ends that scientists have today. Its just that scientists are not ready to accept defeat (which is commendable). For example in the qur an it was mentioned that the Earth was round and it revolved around the sun (in a time period where most believed the earth was flat and everything revolved around. The book even mentions the possibility of alien life from its first verse.

So basically in the end the point is religion is a faith. You really have to believe it. It does carry a lot of answers that scientist are struggling to find today. However most scientist believe in just numbers and how they can solve everything. However the fact is that numbers are not able to prove God exists since numbers themselves are just a pattern scientists found to explain many things. So OP you basically have to decide.

/my 2 cents

read this if you want some more detail-http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/Quran_Explains_The_Universe

Asalamualaikum SpartanOmega117

There is a large difference between religion and science. One is absolute and relies on faith. The other is based on theories, gathering evidence, experimenting, trial and error and ultimately proving the theory BUT recognising not everything is absolute.

You have to understand homo sapeins have only been on Earth for about 100,000 years (based on science, a lot less based on some religious texts). Of those 100,000 years it's only the last few hundred years have we really started to grasp the cosmos and life on earth. Human science has been advancing at a tremendous rate and continues to do so. We can see (or read) billions of light years away into the Universe, we can navigate to the deepest parts of the Ocean and every day we are answering questions and finding new ones because that's what we curious humans do. We pursue knowledge relentlessly looking for answers and it will never stop (unless we destroy ourselves). Just because we don't know the answer to something now doesn't mean it will deter us from trying to. That's the beauty of science.

Now onto religion, it cannot even be compared to science. Totally different catergories. Science has yet to find say the missing link but they are getting there piece by piece and will keep looking. But have you examined what religion has to say on the matter?

Btw the link you provided has done your position a great disservice. It destroys Islam from all angles including the claim the Qu'ran mentions the earth is round. http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/Main_Page

SpartenOmega117 said:

/my 2 cents

read this if you want some more details and connections with qur an and science- http://www.ummah.net/islam/taqwapalace/science/science2.htm

i should have added another poll

higher power that we don't know

science seems to work in this world

but religion seems to know what life is about and beyond it

Around the Network

Well im going to pull an existential theory out of my rear :D

Before the universe there were only three forces... The only three forces in the universe that have no Mass, no form, nothing... Gravity, Space, Time.

During this era, these three forces existed on their own one-dimensional dimensions, never co-existing and completely alone.

-----------------Time------------------
----------------Gravity-----------------
---------------- Space-----------------

Gravity is an attractant, and with no matter or mass, the only thing to attract to was itself and other pools of Gravity.

The other two forces are static. Meaning they neither attract nor repulse.

Over an eternity, the Gravital Dimension began closing in on itself...Eventually there was enough gravity at one singular location - that it began to attract and warp the nearby dimensions to a single point.

When all three dimensions collapsed in on each other, the singularity that was the birthplace of everything in our universe was itself created... We'll call this singularity - the Fourth Dimension.

In this new dimension, the three forces that existed within the three previous dimensions...Co-Existed. this would in theory mean that it is impossible for all three dimensions to meet at one spot- because gravity, which is no-longer alone, can attract to the other eternal forces of nature. Creating Matter as we see it...
3 Dimensions.

Never since in our universe have all three dimensions met at one point. for instance, you cannot have more than one of anything in the exact same spot at the exact same time - it is completely impossible.

If that did somehow happen and you did somehow have two or more objects at the same spot at exactly the same time...you would create another Singularity.

theres more to the theory but im lazy to type any more lol.

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Badassbab said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

/my 2 cents

read this if you want some more detail-http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/Quran_Explains_The_Universe

Asalamualaikum SpartanOmega117

There is a large difference between religion and science. One is absolute and relies on faith. The other is based on theories, gathering evidence, experimenting, trial and error and ultimately proving the theory BUT recognising not everything is absolute.

You have to understand homo sapeins have only been on Earth for about 100,000 years (based on science, a lot less based on some religious texts). Of those 100,000 years it's only the last few hundred years have we really started to grasp the cosmos and life on earth. Human science has been advancing at a tremendous rate and continues to do so. We can see (or read) billions of light years away into the Universe, we can navigate to the deepest parts of the Ocean and every day we are answering questions and finding new ones because that's what we curious humans do. We pursue knowledge relentlessly looking for answers and it will never stop (unless we destroy ourselves). Just because we don't know the answer to something now doesn't mean it will deter us from trying to. That's the beauty of science.

Now onto religion, it cannot even be compared to science. Totally different catergories. Science has yet to find say the missing link but they are getting there piece by piece and will keep looking. But have you examined what religion has to say on the matter?

Btw the link you provided has done your position a great disservice. It destroys Islam from all angles including the claim the Qu'ran mentions the earth is round. http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/Main_Page

Religion is based upon what some group of people think about GOD which is wrong as its based of life of the people who formed it and how they envision life and world

GOD which we are talking about is the higher power which nobody can explain not what religion talk about.

even scientist will believe there is some higher power as whatever they prove should have come from somewhere

sapphi_snake said:
Neither. Realistically though, people can do nothing more than make assumptions (granted, some assumptions are more probable than others).

Or they can create a hypothesis, use that hypothesis to make predictions and then test those predictions. It's called the scientific method and it is what the Big Bang Theory is based on.

snakenobi said:

Religion is based upon what some group of people think about GOD which is wrong as its based of life of the people who formed it and how they envision life and world

GOD which we are talking about is the higher power which nobody can explain not what religion talk about.

even scientist will believe there is some higher power as whatever they prove should have come from somewhere

But the God you're talking about didn't come from nowhere. It came from religion. Or more like it was one of the central pillers of ancient religions when humankind couldn't explain things such as thunder or comprehend infinity. The very fact you're talking about God is down to religion.

I've never read or watched a modern documentary where scientists say there is a higher purpose at work when they cannot explain something. They just continue to do what scientists do which is keep gathering data until they come to a conclusion.

snakenobi said:
Metallicube said:

Can't it be both? My theory is that some higher power that we cannot comprehend, brought into motion the big bang theory. And the rest is history :P

that would be the concept of GOD,i agree here

but people who talk BIG BANG theory don't think GOD exist

The Big Bang Theory was originally proposed by Roman Catholic priest Georges Lemaitre.

"In the 1920s and 1930s almost every major cosmologist preferred an eternal Steady State Universe, and several complained that the beginning of time implied by the Big Bang imported religious concepts into physics."

My have times changed. Science "fact" in all actuality mainly science theory and is constantly changing. Religion remains mostly constant.

Formerly known as LuStaysTru but that was back when I still knew my password.