By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrDebate- "Has the Wii succeded as a gaming console?" Find out soon...

So, here we are again. Those of you with a good membory may remember my tease for a second part of the show in the announcement thread. Well, this is it. And let's get straight down to business...

1. Oh great, another 'Announcement of an Announcement'. GET ON WITH THE ACTUAL THREADS GUYS!!!

Woah woah, stop right there. This isn't merely an 'announcement of an announcement'. This is to recruit some people to take part in the first debate. Due to unforseen issues (food poisoning ) we haven't had time to get everything in place. So we're asking people who are interesting in the debate to show their interest here, then we'll get bck to you with just what's going on and how this can run as smoothly as possible. Even with all the planning possible, we still make mistakes...

2. Hmm...alright then. What will we be debating this week?

I thought you'd never ask. Each show will have a for panel (agreeing with the question) and an against. For our first week, the big question is has the Wii failed as a gaming console? We'd like two people each way, but you only have 24 hours to apply! IF there's more people, a random lottery will take place to pick the debaters. And don't worry, you won't be banned for flaming. But a mod will be watching, so keep it PG

3. Sounds good! How do I sign up?

Just either post in the thread, on my wall, or on Darth's (he'll be doing the show), or message us, within the next 24 hours!

4, Then what happens?

The debate will take place within a seperate room via the new messaging system, so only the debaters, Darth and myself (and maybe a mod) will be able to see what's going on. You'll be revealed to the site as being one of the debatees when the thread goes up- any outside help or early reveals will end up in a team forfeit. After 5 days of posting, arguments to and fro, the debate ends, voting opens and the community votes for who debated the topic the best, and who they agree with. Whichever side wins then gets to gloat for the week, and also gain 5 points each towards the GamrChat competition.

As last time, any questions, just fire away and we'll try our best to answer them! I hope you like this idea as much as the last! The first show will be on Friday, and the first interview will occur on Saturday. It will remain like that from here on in.

UPDATE- Notes from Darth:

The debate will be professional. So anything offensive won't be allowed. A dry run will be done between those involved if we have time. You'll be able to see who'll be taking part in the debate via a PM as well, so don't worry about that! Also, a word limit will be in place so you don't just waffle through the time...the debate will be started via a randomizer (more later). But pleas, SAY WHICH SIDE YOU WANNA DEBATE FOR!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Interesting, I know i've not frequented here for a long time (lot of crap stuff going on) but I'll throw myself into this.

I shall open by proposing a position against the idea the Wii has failed as a console.

The true test of any scholar's work is not what his contemporaries say, but what happens to his work in the next 25 or 50 years. - Milton Friedman.

@Cone

Put what the debate TOPIC is this week in the thread title

Just to add THE DEBATE will be done through PERSONAL MESSAGING as we appreciate that everyone in different time zones can't be online at the same time.

4 PEOPLE will be PICKED...2 on each side of the fence

You will get a PM sent to you linked to the users who are taking part so all of you can see the debate

Then you have a word limit for each post you make

The debate style is classic...one group presents their view...the other side counters

Who starts the debate will be decided by a randomizer thingy.

If you wanna debate then say why you'd be good on the side your debating for!

Cone add all of what I said to the OP!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Oh, so THIS is where you posted the stuff? That makes more sense Will do so now

Also, thanks for the interest SheepLord!

We want this to be like a professional debate

The reason why debate won't be LIVE in a given thread is due to differing time zones for people and most importantly 90% of the threads on here turn into mini debates anyway.

Around the Network

Oooo sounds interesting I would love to be involved as long as I'm not at work When and what time exactly will the debate be going on?

BenVTrigger said:
Oooo sounds interesting I would love to be involved as long as I'm not at work When and what time exactly will the debate be going on?

That's up to Darth really. Though we'll try and adapt around and do it whenever people are free to do it! It'd be good to do it live, but for the first one, this probably won't happen. And time zones etc. So again, Darth will be doing the show, he knows more than me :/

Which side would you like to be on?

BenVTrigger said:

That is not an issue. Like I said it will be done through PM...the new PM system allows one transcript to be send to more than 1 person so everyone can join in on a PM discussion...it works like a chat room basically on restricted to the people you invite.

One side gives their argument...the other side replies...then opposing side replies again and so on.

I will think up of a response limit soon.

So basically it won't matter if you don't reply right away as I assume at some point in your day you will be free to reply?

I want the debate done by Friday

so we'll pick who actually does it tomorrow and starr the debate tomorrow night. Then you have Monday, tuesday, wed, thursday and friday morning to get the debate done.

Thread is made on friday to see who the community thinks did better and for people to add their thoughts.

Which side do you wanna be on?

Conegamer said:
BenVTrigger said:

That's up to Darth really. Though we'll try and adapt around and do it whenever people are free to do it! It'd be good to do it live, but for the first one, this probably won't happen. And time zones etc. So again, Darth will be doing the show, he knows more than me :/

Which side would you like to be on?

I don't think it can ever be done live given the nature of the different countries the sites users are from. BUt it doens't need to be done live as its better to have it in PM...not random forum posters interrupting debates in between or "helping" the side they wanna by giving them ideas.

Cone please edit the OP for the POINT 4 bit from what I have said to BenVTrigger

Your point 4 directly conflicts with how I've been saying the debate will work in the edited update you posted later on in the OP

@Conegamer

I'd be argueing both for and against honestly, its not a clear cut thing either way. The Wii certainly failed gamers in some ways but in other ways it did something revolutionary for gamers. I would be in the middle.