By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyrim- the erosion of a once great series

Daggerfall has classes but the difference between Daggefall and Oblivion/Morrowind is that you can add more uniqueness to your characters in terms of the perks and skills you choose

In Morrowind and Oblivon only 3 types of characters: Melee, Magica, stealth

The perk trees in SKyrim will allow more unique character build

Around the Network

Overall I think SKyrim will be a better game than Oblivion and Fallout 3(which is a budget game)

How anout Skyrim compares to Morrowind? It's hard to say, Morrowind feels epic and unique because its world design and background story (lore depth)

MK will return to Skyrim and write many lore stuff in the game which is one of the best thing. The lore and background stories make Morrowind so unique, not the game mechanics

To be honestly the fighting mechanics and dungeon design in both Morrowind and Oblivion sucked, so Skyrim will beat them in this department.

yahoocom1984 said:
Daggerfall has classes but the difference between Daggefall and Oblivion/Morrowind is that you can add more uniqueness to your characters in terms of the perks and skills you choose

As I said, Daggerfall did have a lot more skills to make each class more unique than in Morrowind and Oblivion, though I fail to see how a perk tree will do the same, especially since in both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas there were a lot of perks that were close to useless and your actual choice of perks that you would ever use was severely limited. If the same happens with Skyrim, then you would have a lot of perk trees that are useless and you'll mainly be limited to a few perk trees. 

The right way to go, in my opinion, would have been to restore the skill system that Daggerfall had. So even if the goal was not to create a set of pre-made classes, with the amount of skills that you would have at your disposal, you could choose which ones you wanted to develop (by performing the required actions for those skills) and in that way shape your own character. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

yahoocom1984 said:
Sorry about that, I'm hardcore Elder scrolls player following ES series since Daggerfall

I geuss most of you here only touched Oblivion, I can assure you that Oblivion is the worst game in the ES series those call Oblivion a great ES game are newbies to Elder scrolls series.

Morrowind is a OK ES game in terms of alien feelings and background story, but short-ass dugeons and combat system suck balls.

Daggerfall is the best ES game and from what I've read Skyrim is heading the right direction;

No class is a right choice because classes are useless in both Morrowind and Oblivion, in Skyrim you have perk trees this sounds closer to Daggerfall and it's good.

And random quests ideas are from Daggerfall, random encounters ideas are from Fallout. These two things will be included in Skyrim which is freaking awesome

The world in Oblivion is lifeless and they change that in Skyrim. The world in Skyrim is much better than Oblivon from the demo

The combat system in both Morrowind and Oblivion sucks and they upgrade this in Skyrim which looks very good, probably the best Fighting mechanics in ES sereis since Daggerfall

And Dragon encounters are freaking epic and amazing;

In short: Oblivion is the worst game in ES series and Skyrim is heading to the right direction

Yes, and Skyrim will have way more depth than Oblivion and Assasin creed combined

Well I hope you are right, and I agree with most of your positive points but I have heard some things that worry me. Still there is time left in development and a lot of info isn't really concrete so far. Besides I have a nerdy affection for any game with procedural generation so more of that is always a plus for me lol.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

lestatdark said:
yahoocom1984 said:

As I said, Daggerfall did have a lot more skills to make each class more unique than in Morrowind and Oblivion, though I fail to see how a perk tree will do the same, especially since in both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas there were a lot of perks that were close to useless and your actual choice of perks that you would ever use was severely limited. If the same happens with Skyrim, then you would have a lot of perk trees that are useless and you'll mainly be limited to a few perk trees. 

The right way to go, in my opinion, would have been to restore the skill system that Daggerfall had. So even if the goal was not to create a set of pre-made classes, with the amount of skills that you would have at your disposal, you could choose which ones you wanted to develop (by performing the required actions for those skills) and in that way shape your own character. 

The perks are different from Fallout in Skyrim each skill relates to one perk tree and you will have more choices. For example, the block skill relates to one perk tree and I can choose sheild walls or deadly bash as my advanced perk

I didn't say this will be as good as Daggerfall but definitely be better than Morrowind (which has 0 perk )and Oblivion ;

Around the Network
yahoocom1984 said:
lestatdark said:
yahoocom1984 said:

The perks are different from Fallout in Skyrim each skill relates to one perk tree and you will have more choices. For example, the block skill relates to one perk tree and I can choose sheild walls or deadly bash as my advanced perk

I didn't say this will be as good as Daggerfall but definitely be better than Morrowind (which has 0 perk )and Oblivion ;

I really do hope that it plays that way, because that system is closer to a Diablo-esque skill tree without the preset classes and exclusive class skills.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

and some information in OP are wrong

He said the landscape in Skyrim will be copy-pasta and the game is not out yet

The werewolf and vampire things are not confirmed by Bethesda

From the recent E3 demo, the only things I saw are upgraded combat system, better inverntory screen, 3D-map, more detailed world, better dungeon, better draw distance, more lively town and epic Dragon fight, nothing else

yahoocom1984 said:

From the recent E3 demo, the only things I saw are upgraded combat system, better inverntory screen, 3D-map, more detailed world, better dungeon, better draw distance, more lively town and epic Dragon fight, nothing else

To be fair, I also found the bit about there being no werewolf extremely odd, given that in TES lore, Skyrim is the region where the grand majority of the Lycanthropes are found. Plus there's also a massive clan of vampires on eastern Skyrim as well, according to the lore. It would be very odd to leave the diseases out, especially since Bethesda as kept every TES game as close as possible to it's region's lore. 

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
yahoocom1984 said:

To be fair, I also found the bit about there being no werewolf extremely odd, given that in TES lore, Skyrim is the region where the grand majority of the Lycanthropes are found. Plus there's also a massive clan of vampires on eastern Skyrim as well, according to the lore. It would be very odd to leave the diseases out, especially since Bethesda as kept every TES game as close as possible to it's region's lore. 

Also, If you look the bright side you will find skyrim more promising:

Removed factors from previous games: attributes, classes, some minor skills like jump and running;

New features in Skyrim: Perk trees (280 perks), dozens of Dragon shout, some new skills like blacksmithing, cooking, 3D-world map, 3D-inverntory, Dragon fight

The other features: dynamic city economy, 70 voice actors instead of 10 in Oblivion, 8 dungeon designers instead of 1 in Oblivion, new epic creatures like giants and mamoths, more variant landscapes, Longer main questline, 300 ingame books, new conversation system whcih is better than Oblivion...ect

I hated Oblivion with a passion, but I am loving the look of Skryim.