By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - when will the ps2 stop selling

When people can find Wiis

Around the Network

im going to say that due to the fact they removed BC in the PS3 (the supposedly cheap $400 version) it will extend the after-life of the PS2 by a bit, so I would guess 2010, with significant drop-offs as time goes by and classics are re-released on the popular console(s) , most notably the Wii, atleast it stands to reason they will be rereleased as they always end up being.

I would say then holiday of 09 will be its last significant one ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Probably keep going until it is no longer a profitable system. I still have my PS2 with a 200GB Hard drive in with all my fave games saved on it... No loading times... NICE :D

Good to see this site is still going 

In a way, the inability of 360 and PS3 to sell, while the success of Wii and DS and shortages, is probably keeping PS2 alive longer than it should have. I think by mid 2008 PS2 sales will start going down as Wii is able to meet demand and rises in PS3 go up, hopefully. Otherwise if this same situation were to be kept up, hell PS2 could still be alive til the end of the 7th generation.

Around the Network

When the GC stops selling add two years to when the PS2 will stop.

super_etecoon said:
Munkeh111 said:
I sold most of my PS2 games when PS3 came around because I was so impressed by the PS3 games, but now there are some classics that I want to go back to, and even some PS1 games that I missed out on (FF VII) and that would be nearly enough for me to buy a cheap PS2, but luckily enough I have kept mine. I would expect the used PS2 market to continue past 2010, but I suspect new PS2 sales will be over 2009. Software sales are lacking, and they will dry up soon. However, I think it will continue to support PS3 until late next year, and then the PS2 can get a price drop to keep its sales up

lol....who does this?  How much can you honestly get from EBGames or Gamestop for PS2 games?  It's not even worth driving to the store.  Not to mention the fact that you probably through away some amazing games just because you were wowed by better graphics.  Did you sell your GTA collection, too?

Don't worry I kept my GTA collection, I still have like 30 PS2 games, I just got rid of about 10 (so not really most of games but...) and got resistance and virtua tennis 3 for about £12 combined, anyway, I like in the UK, and GAME generally do decent deals, I tooks back CoD 3 for about £20 5 months after launch (that's half the initial RRP)

I predict Summer '09. Robust sales, and the unwillingness of the public to adopt the ps3, suggest it will be around for at least one more christmas.

Griffin said:
When the GC stops selling add two years to when the PS2 will stop.

Is nintendo even manufacturing game cubes anymore? With the success of the Wii I doubt they need to. If Sony actually made money out of the black hole called the PS3 they wouldn't make PS2's either, but I think it's their only profitable video game hardware right now.

My answers are

1) When the PS3 hits $200
2) When the Wii is actually in supply
3) After the final price cut to $100, which they haven't done yet

So around 2010.

Nintendo stopped producing Gamecubes in 2005 I think. It was the same quarter they actually posted a loss. GCs weren't selling and they had a stockpile in factories.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.