By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - when will the ps2 stop selling

Yojimbo said:
jlrx said:
Griffin said:
When the GC stops selling add two years to when the PS2 will stop.

Is nintendo even manufacturing game cubes anymore? With the success of the Wii I doubt they need to. If Sony actually made money out of the black hole called the PS3 they wouldn't make PS2's either, but I think it's their only profitable video game hardware right now.

Can you be more wrong? Why would they stop making PS2 when it sells?

And lets dont forgte that the PSP is allready a profitable sistem so hes wrong twice ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
jlrx said:
Yojimbo said:
jlrx said:
Griffin said:

Is nintendo even manufacturing game cubes anymore? With the success of the Wii I doubt they need to. If Sony actually made money out of the black hole called the PS3 they wouldn't make PS2's either, but I think it's their only profitable video game hardware right now.

Wrong about what? I said they are probabally making PS2's and will continue to do so since the PS3 looses them so much money.

I also said I doubt Nintendo is making GameCubes anymore since the Wii is so popular.

Where am I wrong?

Even if they maid money on PS3 they would not stop making PS2 they are probably selling 10m PS2 a year, they are making money on hardware and software. Nintendo is still selling some GCs dont know if they are still manufacturing them. Last week PS2 sold over 600k consoles and moved over 2m software compared to GC 6k and 39k software. If DS2 came and Nintendo maid money of it do you think they would kill DS even if it sold 10m/year and it moved alot of software? ....GBA is still alive 113k last week

I dont understand your logic why stop making something that is giving you good profits.

The removal of BC from the PS3 is sure to keep the PS2 kicking and in demand for longer than was thought before. There is still a huge library available for the PS2 with many really good and inexpensive games.

Nintendo keeping GC BC in the Wii has certainly evaporated the need to actually buy a GC. Though, the software should at least still be in demand, because of the ability to play GC games on the Wii. I never had a gamecube, though I have been looking at picking up some GC games to play on the Wii.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Probably late 08 at the earliest and late 09 at the latest. I don't have any facts or figures to support that statement, but I'm guessing Sony would want attention to focus on the PS3 now.

If the PS3 was at a mass market price & had BC then PS2 sales would most likely have tapered off in 2008, however as the PS3 has neither then PS2 could keep going well into 2009

Now Playing

Planet Puzzle League

Kirby Mouse Attack

Nanostray

Around the Network
Yojimbo said:
jlrx said:
Yojimbo said:
jlrx said:
Griffin said:

Wrong about what? I said they are probabally making PS2's and will continue to do so since the PS3 looses them so much money.

I also said I doubt Nintendo is making GameCubes anymore since the Wii is so popular.

Where am I wrong?

Even if they maid money on PS3 they would not stop making PS2 they are probably selling 10m PS2 a year, they are making money on hardware and software. Nintendo is still selling some GCs dont know if they are still manufacturing them. Last week PS2 sold over 600k consoles and moved over 2m software compared to GC 6k and 39k software. If DS2 came and Nintendo maid money of it do you think they would kill DS even if it sold 10m/year and it moved alot of software? ....GBA is still alive 113k last week

I dont understand your logic why stop making something that is giving you good profits.

whatever you've been smoking, pay attention. I have said repeatedly - if it were NOT for the fact that Sony is loosing huge amounts of money on the PS3 and alternately still making money on the PS2 ,

***THAT IS TO SAY IF THE PS3 MADE TONS OF MONEY FOR SONY***

They would phase out the PS2, because the PS2 would see greatly decreased sales, much , much quicker.

The PS2 has PROLONGED life because the PS3 is failing to attract the massive amount of people that bought the PS2. If the PS3 could attract the massive amount of users that the PS2 did, there would not likely be enough PS2 sales compared to PS3 sales for people to believe the PS2 is some cash pit.

Every company that makes a product wants it's customers to upgrade to the next model, and the next model, and the next model. If they spend the time researching and comming out with model after model, improved 100x over the previous version, that company would not want to see the old model continue to sell while the new model they spent all that time and money (and more money) developing, and selling for a loss to be sitting on shelves.

Companies like Sony want to eat the loss of the PS3 as fast as possible, because mass production = decreased production cost. If they can produce enough PS3's, eventually they should be able to come out the other end (ie; make a profit). By the time PS3's can sell for a profit, Sony should be able to compete price wise with it's competitors, thus diminishing the PS2's role as cheap alternative, and also decreasing sales.

I'll say it again, if the PS3 was selling as sony wanted it to sell, the market for the PS2 would decline significantly faster then anyone is thinking it will now. Since the PS3 is not selling as sony wants, it stands to reason that people who "might" be interested in a PS3 are picking up an alternative instead, such as the PS2 or the 360, or even the Wii. The PS2's continued success means Sony is stuck in the mud , it is not gaining traction, market share or otherwise. Sony needs the PS3 to sell well, and if the PS3 sold well, it stands to reason the PS2 would see a faster DECLINE in sales then it will likely have because the PS3 does not sell as well as it wants.

When one or more of the following will take place, I guess late 2009

- When they stop making games for the PS2
- When the PS2 gets crappy Wii ports instead of the other way around
- When the PS3 becomes profitable
- When the Wii becomes available
- When the PSP2 will arrive and basically replace the PS2