By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Americans would save 93 million per year if salaries of congress were eliminated. (last time)

Since the Iconograph I was trying to paste in would not work I can only paste a link to it.

http://www.totallyoffbeat.com/congress-is-richer-than-you-infographic/

My main problem with Congress is they are so rich they do not understand the people they represent.  Also as the iconograph shows congress is already so rich they do not need to be paid. They are suppossed to be public servents so I say they should be working as volunteers for our country. So I ask you VGchartz what do you think about this issue.

Around the Network

Police Officers and Firefighters are also technically public servants should they not be paid as well?

Cutting their salaries wouldn't do much for our economy. Cutting little things like this and welfare programs that are tiny percentages in our budget will not fix the problem.

So people should not be payed to work? That's new to me.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Lower their wages but not eliminate them completely.

Vetteman94 said:
Police Officers and Firefighters are also technically public servants should they not be paid as well?

Cutting their salaries wouldn't do much for our economy. Cutting little things like this and welfare programs that are tiny percentages in our budget will not fix the problem.

It will if we cut enough "little" things. They all add up to a lot. We have to start somewhere, and while I do not think they should work for free, I do feel they get paid way to much for their work and get far too many perks. This also varies from state to state though doesn't it? I know in CA the politicians get way too much money and way too many perks. Its crazy. Its no wonder they work for themselves and not for their communities they have to much invested in their personal gain.

Around the Network

I would rather see the entire USA political system be changed. I would like to see a multi-party (proportional representation) system instead of the terrible two party (winner takes all) system. I would like to see my vote actually count instead of it only counting when voting for the two shitty parties (Republicans and Democrats). I would let to see campaign finance reform so you don't have politicians spending millions/billions just to get a seat in the House or Senate. I would like to see a reduction in lobbyist. I would like to think the politicians cares more about the public than special interest lobbyist.

The wage issue is a non issue. Even when they work, they make far more of their money from doing things like writing books then from their salaries. People always complain about the politicians, but the problem is the people. After all we are the ones electing our representatives. We are the ones who act like sheep and just pick the guy who promises the most good things instead of the one with reasonable suggestions.

This strikes me as a terrible idea. It would mean that people could ONLY be members of congress if they were independently wealthy (and therefore didn't need any additional income). Sure, many current members of congress ARE independently wealthy, but I think it's worth $93 million per year to leave the door open for people who aren't.

enrageorange said:
The wage issue is a non issue. Even when they work, they make far more of their money from doing things like writing books then from their salaries. People always complain about the politicians, but the problem is the people. After all we are the ones electing our representatives. We are the ones who act like sheep and just pick the guy who promises the most good things instead of the one with reasonable suggestions.

Maybe it is the way our political system is set up also.  Why do you think most Americans don't even vote or register to vote?  Probably because our entire political system is bullshit.  The two party (winner takes all) system is terrible.  If you vote for a candidate that is from a smaller party your vote is basically worthless (doesn't count).  I am sick of having just two choices (Democrat or Republican, because if you vote for any other candidate or party you are pretty much wasting your time).  Both parties are corrupt, controlled by lobbyist, and need to be thrown out.  I'm ready for multi-party proportional representation.

thranx said:
Vetteman94 said:

It will if we cut enough "little" things. They all add up to a lot. We have to start somewhere, and while I do not think they should work for free, I do feel they get paid way to much for their work and get far too many perks. This also varies from state to state though doesn't it? I know in CA the politicians get way too much money and way too many perks. Its crazy. Its no wonder they work for themselves and not for their communities they have to much invested in their personal gain.

If you cut enough of the little things,  the only thing you will do is hurt the poor people who need these programs to get by on a daily basis.  And we will still not solve the problem.  The main thing we need to do is cut military spending,  and more the size of it than anything,  I dont want them to stop advancing ourmilitary technologies.  We just dont need a military that isn't as bloated as we have.