By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony been left in the last generation?

Tell me whats more different...

Standard controller to Wiimote or Powerful to more powerful?

Wii is the most next gen.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network
azzer100 said:
Tell me whats more different...

Standard controller to Wiimote or Powerful to more powerful?

Wii is the most next gen.

umm.. you do know the PS2 was the weakest last gen right.. so it was weak to strong.. the jump in difference can definitely be said to be a next generation. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@azzer

Actually the only true NEX GEN console is the playstation 3.

Motion controls(most games use it)
rumble
Best graphics
Blu-ray disc(future format)
support for up to 7 controllers at once
Full native 1080p
PLaystation eye
10 year life span

wii doesnt even play movies, its not even nex gen all it has is motion controls. So does the ps3 and its the same crud.
Talk to me when the wii can mimic the playstation eye then I agree its next gen.

mM

leo-j said:
@azzer

Actually the only true NEX GEN console is the playstation 3.

Motion controls(most games use it) Wii has better motion. Sonys was a last minute decision to try and counteract the wii mote

rumble Didnt the PS2, Xbox and GC all have that?

Best graphics Yes the PS3 is the most powerful but good graphics only come about through good developers

Blu-ray disc(future format) The format doesnt change wither its next gen or not.

support for up to 7 controllers at once You really consider this next gen? seriously?

Full native 1080p Again this only has to do with how powerful the system. A more powerful system doesnt make it next gen

PLaystation eye The eye isnt the PS3 now is it? its an extra

10 year life span My toaster has lasted me close to 10 years, is that next gen?

wii doesnt even play movies, its not even nex gen all it has is motion controls. So does the ps3 and its the same crud.
Talk to me when the wii can mimic the playstation eye then I agree its next gen.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

The PS3 and 360 are both last gen in their philosophies and stagnant game type progression focusing on an every narrowing spectrum of game genres. Their graphics aren't a factor in what generation they are because they aren't graphics that where waiting for them to be had this generation, they are graphics that were attained by going over the head of the available economy of this generation and forced on the consumer at a double-the-price cost of their predicessors.

The question you need to ask yourself is, what is more revolutionary, Putting prettier graphics on the same old game or Inventing a new way to immerse yourself in the gameplay? If the Wii isn't the most next gen console console out there then why did Sony try to copy it with the six-axis (promising even more with the PS4) and why is Microsoft currently working on a Wii-like controller for the 360? The only consoles trying to emulate an other are the PS3/360 trying to emulate the Wii , not vice versa.

The PS EYE is not a break through, its just a novelty that is limited in its applications and is little more than taking the concept of the Eye Toy further. The signiture difference between the PS Eye and Wii-Mote in terms of innovation is that the Wii-Mote can act as a template for all gameplay experiences, the PS Eye basically by its very nature limits what the games that use it can be, it has to have new genres created for it. Six-Axis is little more than a pauldry comparison to the Wii-mote and has been established long ago as more of a liability to the PS3 than a benefit. Blu-Ray, whether the future or not was not something needed on a video game console this early for the harm it inflicted on the price tag and since it benefits the gameplay and graphics in no real way aside from space (which is nullified by the need for redundant data or preloading the game onto the PS3) it really doesn't help gameplay. And with DVD players costing $20-$50 dollars this generation, why bother putting one in a video game console such as the Wii? Which is the same logic as to why make HD the standard for video games when it isn't yet for the consumer audience? Home is just copying what MS did in creating a comprehensive and streamlined user interface for online play and social interaction, Microsoft's rather brilliant PC contribution to the Video Game Console market.

It's funny, but so many leave out that the Wii is the only console this generation that was ever truly 100% backwards compatible this generation. I suppose Sony and MS think that to prove a console as being next gen means burning the bridges behind them.

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
Of the three plattforms the PS3 is the one that has made a bigger leap forward regarding last generation .

Wii is like a slighty improved Cube with gimmicky (and worse ) controls .It may sell a lot ,it has a great differential marketing behind after all and people believe it to be something different to what it is .Many people that buy the console are shortly after slighty bored with it ,theres still a whole "blue ocean " of people to tap and keep great sales but dont see it as something revolutionary .

X360 is not far from the original Xbox .Original Xbox had the best graphics and best online of the generation by a massive difference .The 360 doesnt have the best graphics of the generation and although its paying online service keeps ahead of the PSN and Nintendo offerings it isnt by a great deal at least compared to the PSN.So its like the Xbox one with better graphics and the same online,plus some demos and downloadable content.

The PS3 ,though ,has improved massively in all the fronts regarding the PS2 .From the least powerful machine to the more powerful ,from a shoddy online to a very respectable service for free ,from a crap DVD player to the best DVD/Br player on the market ,from a console only thing to a machine with amazing multimedia capabilities and ability to put inside linux ,PC add-ons etc ,from a region-locked machine to a free region machine ,from the Eye Toy to a improved Playstation Eye that puts the X360 camera to shame ,etc etc .

Totally Agree!!! Also Ps3 updates are fast making the PS3 an evolution and when Home comes psn will be Boss :D Screw XBL... Free online game is where it is at!

@ Girl Gamer that is alot of words to say you don't know much. All of the consoles are next gen. They have changed the way people play and interact. A Remote is one way it has changed... The technology of sensor play is not that new. They just packaged it in a way that appeals to people. Also I think the philosophy of the Sony and Ms is not last gen. It's future. Sony and MS are the ones that will direct this gen. Next gen/This Gen is basically online community play. It's big on pc, but it will open others to new online communities, the way we buy products, the way people communicate. The Wii is not leading in that respect... The 360 and ps3 are.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

The thing I don't understand about this generation is that everyone is saying that Nintendo's new take on how to play games is making them the best....

If that's so, then why did the Power Glove fail so bad that it caused PAX to go bankrupt back in the 90s?

I honestly think Nintendo got lucky this time around, as the last time motion controls were attempted, it failed

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

Yojimbo said:
Gameplay and Graphics both are important. The most important thing are games and Wii and PS3 does not have it. The Wiimote..different gameplay does not make it up for all the games that cant come to the Wii, it seems like the gamecube all over again. No AC,CoD4,GTA,RE5...RE4 came to gamecube, Burnout Paradise and on. PS3 does not have games either it has 3rd party games but most of them are inferior to the 360 version. Sony made to advanced machine and the developers are having hard times with it and it lacks exclusives. But I think all of them are nextgen consoles and Sony is not left behind if we look at the hardware it has motionsensor,graphics,online......PS3 offers more then the 360. The console that have made least changes from last gen is the 360.

You make it seem like those games are truly what next gen is. What's have they done to revolutionize the industry into the next level? Graphics? What a joke. Mario 64 is a perfect example of a jump into the next generation of gaming because it pioneered what true 3D meant. Now we're in the 3D world and hardly anyone every uses that motto anymore because we're used to it. All those games you mentioned are fantastic games that deserve a lot of attention but they in no way, shape or form have changed the industry the way Nintendo is with the Wiimote, rather they are sticking with what's an easy sale since people seem to like to play the same all the time. I truly believe that the wiimote has the potential to innovate gaming again but it's gonna take a bit for someone that can come up with an original way to use it. Hopefully it'll be someone other than Nintendo cuz its pretty sad that everyone blames their library for not being that great and that's not Nintendo's fault, rather the 3rd parties for wanting to cash in fast.

What are you looking at, nerd?

This is an argument that won't be settled for 2-3 more years. History will shut everyone up, but it has to be made first.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Diomedes1976 said:
people believe it [Wii] to be something different to what it is.

This is possibly the smartest thing you've ever said, but only if you reverse its intended meaning.

In case you didn't get that, you're the one who thinks it's something different than what it is.