By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony been left in the last generation?

ookaze said:

What they fail to understand, and that I see often, is that Wii graphics do not look dated at all on HDTV, and there's no need to release any Wii with HD graphics. The Wii has component output, which is more than sufficient for HDTV.

I disagree. 480p looks very dated on a HDTV. I've been playing HD games on my pc for years now so going back to 480p looks bad especially on a LCD. Yes you can connect and run Wii on HDTV yet why would you when both 360 and ps3 are HD? If you got a HDTV then why would you want to play DVD movie in 480p when you can buy the same movie in Blu-ray in 720p/1080p?

HD is becoming a huge selling point between DirectTV vs Time Warner Cable (US) so I believe this will become an issue with consoles as well. This is why some predict a future Wii HD coming.

Around the Network

PS3 and 360 have a longer life span in terms of their technology, but all the technology increases cost and also makes them more like high-end multimedia machines. At lease the Wii uses its technology largely for gaming purposes.

HD penatraion is very low (but its increasing all the time) so until the masses all go HD buying new HD screens a new HD sound system PS3/360 going to suffer.

To address the OP's question:

Wii will work on all current/new technology, PS3/360 needs £££££ or $$$$$ spent to get to best from it not something the masses want to spend out on. PS2 hugely popular with younger gamers/parents a £299 PS3 is not a nice price for these consumers to pay!!

Wii remote interaction is great fun and is proving very popular and games like Wii sports, Wii play gathering a huge fanbase (needs much more games like these!! with online!!)

PS3/360 look boring and expensive against this. Boring because the technology upgrade is so predictable and nothing really new or exciting. HD format war does not help, asking consumers to throw away their DVD player/surround kit to upgrade for a slightly better picture.

Graphics/Power will matter in the long run, but as many predict Nintendo will have a new console thats HD and compatible with all Wii, GC and VC games, be cheaper (to manufacture and to buy) than Sony/Microsoft and potentially more powerful.

But who knows what will happen....

Of the three plattforms the PS3 is the one that has made a bigger leap forward regarding last generation .

Wii is like a slighty improved Cube with gimmicky (and worse ) controls .It may sell a lot ,it has a great differential marketing behind after all and people believe it to be something different to what it is .Many people that buy the console are shortly after slighty bored with it ,theres still a whole "blue ocean " of people to tap and keep great sales but dont see it as something revolutionary .

X360 is not far from the original Xbox .Original Xbox had the best graphics and best online of the generation by a massive difference .The 360 doesnt have the best graphics of the generation and although its paying online service keeps ahead of the PSN and Nintendo offerings it isnt by a great deal at least compared to the PSN.So its like the Xbox one with better graphics and the same online,plus some demos and downloadable content.

The PS3 ,though ,has improved massively in all the fronts regarding the PS2 .From the least powerful machine to the more powerful ,from a shoddy online to a very respectable service for free ,from a crap DVD player to the best DVD/Br player on the market ,from a console only thing to a machine with amazing multimedia capabilities and ability to put inside linux ,PC add-ons etc ,from a region-locked machine to a free region machine ,from the Eye Toy to a improved Playstation Eye that puts the X360 camera to shame ,etc etc .

I think it's stuck in the last gen in that the PS2 continues to outsell the PS3. I suspect that will change this year.

The only thing Sony got wrong was the willingness of people to pay 600 bucks for a gaming console with no good games. They didnt advertise the fact it was a BD player at all before launch. The only reason the 360 has more units sold is there 1 year lead. The PS3 has outsold the 360s first year sales. As for the Wii, its a new concept and the price is fairly cheap. For under 300 bucks, you have a console with games. M$ just made a crap console which people still buy for some reason. I guess cause they know there is a warranty for when it breaks. Overall the PS3 will do no worse than 2nd in terms of units sold. I still say they will end up in first as there console will be around longer than the others. I just cant see the Wii lasting 3 more years. The 360 maybe, but we will be seeing either a lot of multi disc games, or bacis games with a lot of "extras" for download. Thats why the Elite has a 120GB HDD

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said :

"The PS3 ,though ,has improved massively in all the fronts regarding the PS2 .From the least powerful machine to the more powerful ,from a shoddy online to a very respectable service for free ,from a crap DVD player to the best DVD/Br player on the market ,from a console only thing to a machine with amazing multimedia capabilities and ability to put inside linux ,PC add-ons etc ,from a region-locked machine to a free region machine ,from the Eye Toy to a improved Playstation Eye that puts the X360 camera to shame ,etc etc . "

ookaze, you have here an example of what you said on another topic : Diomedes sees "huge improvements" inside the PS3 where there are exactly the same things as in PS2, simply with more ...

Note to Diomedes : your view is perfectly respectable. I simply used what you said to say something to Ookaze.

Videogames are part of the media industry, and the thing is, both Sony and Nintendo both know what it takes to succeed as next-gen media companies. Both are pursuing very savvy media strategies -- Sony an integrated strategy (a game-player as media device), and Nintendo a targeted strategy (a pure game machine). Both are succeeding. BluRay is taking off, Sony's hardware is selling, the PS3 is matching the 360 even before the great games arrive, etc. etc. etc.

Microsoft's biggest enemy is itself - it's not a media company, has a miserable track record in markets where it can't use its OS monopoly to club its competitors to death, and saddled the 360 - a fine gaming platform - with numerous management mistakes.

You can have great gameplay and great graphics in the same game so why do some people seem to think this generation is about gameplay vs. graphics?  Is it impossible to have games that have both on the 360 and/or PS3?  No.

Legend11 said:
You can have great gameplay and great graphics in the same game, why do some people seem to think they are mutally exclusive things?

Because they have a wii, and because all of there games have good gameplay but will never look good.

mM
oli2 said:

Diomedes1976 said :

"The PS3 ,though ,has improved massively in all the fronts regarding the PS2 .From the least powerful machine to the more powerful ,from a shoddy online to a very respectable service for free ,from a crap DVD player to the best DVD/Br player on the market ,from a console only thing to a machine with amazing multimedia capabilities and ability to put inside linux ,PC add-ons etc ,from a region-locked machine to a free region machine ,from the Eye Toy to a improved Playstation Eye that puts the X360 camera to shame ,etc etc . "

ookaze, you have here an example of what you said on another topic : Diomedes sees "huge improvements" inside the PS3 where there are exactly the same things as in PS2, simply with more ...

Note to Diomedes : your view is perfectly respectable. I simply used what you said to say something to Ookaze.

hahaha wow, the ps3 isnt the wii that only improved with motion controls and a new menu.

mM