By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony been left in the last generation?

gawalls said:
I think Sony made the "obvious" leap to next gen by following the previous trends except they decided to force Blue Ray upon people, however everyone has a string to their bow.

Blu-Ray (not Blue Ray) may still be a success and I still see this as a smart move since Xbox360 had a year head start from PS3. (it needed something to set it apart) The problem is Blu-ray doesn't sell as fast as DVD did for the ps2 for an obvious reason, not everyone has a HDTV yet. But if you do have an HDTV then PS3 is a no brainer as Blu-ray is an advantage to both games and movies.

Here in USA HDTVs are becoming more wide spread. While Sony may had taken a big risk with adding the Blu-ray I feel Wii did the opposide mistake of playing it too safe (not thinking ahead) and not having Wii in HD. As more and more people get HDTV the more the Wii will show it's age and the better it wll be for both Xbox 360 and PS3 especially PS3 with it's Blu-Ray. 

Around the Network
TheUltimateLife said:
I totaly agree with you gawalls and Tommo, every one has switched roles and are trying to be each other where as nintendos seen an opportune market and broken out of the pack hahaha like the sperm towards the egg! Hahahahah and the Microsoft and Sony sperm kept fighting… and wore each other out… and lost sight of the egg….. anyway…

I think Sony just overestimated the Playstation brand and thought they could use it to push Bluray on 100m people, launch the console later than MS and ensure it was the most powerful and still maintain their previous position.

With regards to HD - it may be becoming more popular but there's 2 arguments to this

1.  Only very serious gamers will not buy a Wii cos it's lack of HD graphics - in order for the majority to see this as a stumbling point is gonna still take years which leads to point 2.

2.  When HD TV's are in the majority of homes and it's accepted as an industry standard do you seriously think Nintendo will not compensate by releasing a new Wii model that outputs to HD TV, i've said in previous posts that I think the Wii will be like the Ipod with several different models all playing same software but with options like colour, storage, HD capability, tighter motion controlls ( eventually) and this is just the base model we are seeing now, probably will be named the Wii Classic or something down the line. 

This model IMO is just to get a user base out there and a library of games then introduce new features and models slowly as and when the markets ready.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Nice way of looking at it Grey Acumen, that’s along the line of what I was initially thinking concerning a consumers view of next gen. All the consoles offer a next gen experience by their own definition, 360 and ps3 of a similar experience, but you could say the wii offers a kind of extra generation (new gen @ celine) experience

Does any one think this puts them ahead as far as next gen goes? Is the wii like Next Gen 1.5? Or do graphics play an integral part in holding the wii back from this position?

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

gawalls said:
TheUltimateLife said:
microsoft tried motion controle on the pc for gaming once and it didnt take off either, it just wasnt the right time i supose but as far as every one is concerned motion sensing is new in gaming and has never been this wide spread
I dont think it was the timing, motion controls didn't sell themselves when the Wii was demo'd / launched - Wii sports sold the motion controls and without that killer app to seriousls sell it then it was always gonna look gimmcky.  Thats probably where others fell down when trying to market their motion controls.

yeah, exactly like that glove! lol nintendos done a good job this time around of removing the gimmik idea from the product

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

Nintendo has always been known for it's gimmicks (anyone here  remember the first one, lame robot gimmick that came with the first Nintendo system?). After all these years one of their gimmicks actually sells... no wonder Nintendo was surprised by Wii sales.

Around the Network
TheUltimateLife said:
Nice way of looking at it Grey Acumen, that’s along the line of what I was initially thinking concerning a consumers view of next gen. All the consoles offer a next gen experience by their own definition, 360 and ps3 of a similar experience, but you could say the wii offers a kind of extra generation (new gen @ celine) experience

Does any one think this puts them ahead as far as next gen goes? Is the wii like Next Gen 1.5? Or do graphics play an integral part in holding the wii back from this position?

I think when you remember Miyamotos quote that in 5 years time we wont believe what games we will see on the Wii and when you see that VR clip going round then it's a possibility that the Wii may just be more next get than we could imagine and I feel if the guy that done the VR clip (is his name Lee or something?) knows this then Nintendo certainly will.

2 gimmicks if you include the DS smidlee - I think I read somewhere that was selling pretty well (sarcasm).

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

In case anyone miss out of the first Nintendo's console gimmick, here it is on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcxrecy__XQ

That clip brings back memories.

@UltimateLife
It's not only a question of user experience but also a question of business model around that user experience.
Nintendo is creating and offering a new business model to this industry, when previously the only way was the incremental approach on "what you put on the screen".

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Tommo1975 said:
I think we're looking at the fragmentation of the gaming market - with the Wii and DS going for casual gaming, while the PS3 and 360 going for the traditional (hardcore gamer).

What are we in now, the 7th console generation? If so, Wii offers generation 6.5 hardware and probably generation 8 controls/interactivity, while the PS3 and 360 offer generation 7 hardware with generation 6 controls/interactivity.

I think with the Wii Nintendo decided that rather than try go grab the hardcore gamer first and then aim for the casual market as the price of the machine lowers (the traditional tactic used by Sony and Microsoft this generation and which Nintendo arguably failed to do with the Gamecube), they decided to straight for the casual gamer right away with the low price and unique controller and then as the sales mount up and third party support builds, get the hardcore gamers too as 3rd parties develop hardcore gamer games due to the large installed base.

Very well put and something i agree with

Games i'm currently playing:

man that robot! y did they put him in mario kart DS, he is so out of place! sonic and mario i understand them going together and all the characters in SSB but that robot!!! Nintendo must want his memory to live on a little stronger then in just nostalgia ROB was prolly like todays robosapien and roboraptor

Currently playing: