By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony been left in the last generation?

Gameplay and Graphics both are important. The most important thing are games and Wii and PS3 does not have it. The Wiimote..different gameplay does not make it up for all the games that cant come to the Wii, it seems like the gamecube all over again. No AC,CoD4,GTA,RE5...RE4 came to gamecube, Burnout Paradise and on. PS3 does not have games either it has 3rd party games but most of them are inferior to the 360 version. Sony made to advanced machine and the developers are having hard times with it and it lacks exclusives. But I think all of them are nextgen consoles and Sony is not left behind if we look at the hardware it has motionsensor,graphics,online......PS3 offers more then the 360. The console that have made least changes from last gen is the 360.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:

I still don't see how 360 is any more advanced though...

And there is nothing last generation about their new cell and acrhitecture, along with the new high-def technology Blu-ray. The PS Eye has potential (I don't like it though), and other online components are slowly coming along.

You may claim it is the same thing being updated, but with the same argrument a person could call the Wiimote an upgraded Power Glove.

The 360 is not more advanced, and i am not just talking about specs, the hardware is shoddy, there is no Quality in that hardware, my GF little brother PROD'd (if i can say that) the other day, on the day he bought CAll Of Duty 4, he did not even get to play it (Rant Over).

I think the PS Eye potential can rival the Wiimot, but sony does not seem to have the vision to pioneer it, can you imaging if the pseye was bundled in with the PS3, a lot of the developers (thinking of hideo kojima here), could really do creative stuff with it. That why i love the concept of the wii remote, creativity and simplicity at it heart.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

I think Sony made the "obvious" leap to next gen by following the previous trends except they decided to force Blue Ray upon people, however everyone has a string to their bow.

Wii has motion controls, MS has online (even though Sony and Ninty are approaching online you cannot take on Microsoft when it comes to Internet - they virtually own it) and Sony has Blue Ray and power.

I personally dont think the power will really matter unless the PS3 can seriously nail down some exclusives otherwise they'll be restriced by the 360's limitations. The PS2 had diversity in it's library but the Wii has taken most of the mini games, party games, low budget games, childs games etc and the PS3 is in serious danger of offering nothing fresher than the 360 - this would be a serious problem as the 360 has a bigger library, better price tag and better online component.

In 08 Sony needs to find it's own angle I feel, otherwise it could be the gamecube of this gen.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Actyually Nintendo said that Wii is a "new-gen"

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

yeah there is definatly alot of potential in the PS eye! It could so easily be used for a device like the wii remote, and the power glove is a glove that was just not cool, microsoft tried motion controle on the pc for gaming once and it didnt take off either, it just wasnt the right time i supose but as far as every one is concerned motion sensing is new in gaming and has never been this wide spread

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

Around the Network

I think we're looking at the fragmentation of the gaming market - with the Wii and DS going for casual gaming, while the PS3 and 360 going for the traditional (hardcore gamer).

What are we in now, the 7th console generation? If so, Wii offers generation 6.5 hardware and probably generation 8 controls/interactivity, while the PS3 and 360 offer generation 7 hardware with generation 6 controls/interactivity.

I think with the Wii Nintendo decided that rather than try go grab the hardcore gamer first and then aim for the casual market as the price of the machine lowers (the traditional tactic used by Sony and Microsoft this generation and which Nintendo arguably failed to do with the Gamecube), they decided to straight for the casual gamer right away with the low price and unique controller and then as the sales mount up and third party support builds, get the hardcore gamers too as 3rd parties develop hardcore gamer games due to the large installed base.

Systems Owned - High end PC, Nintendo DS, X-Box 360 and PS3 

PSN and 360 ID's - Tommo1975

Yojimbo said:
Gameplay and Graphics both are important. The most important thing are games and Wii and PS3 does not have it. The Wiimote..different gameplay does not make it up for all the games that cant come to the Wii, it seems like the gamecube all over again. No AC,CoD4,GTA,RE5...RE4 came to gamecube, Burnout Paradise and on. PS3 does not have games either it has 3rd party games but most of them are inferior to the 360 version. Sony made to advanced machine and the developers are having hard times with it and it lacks exclusives. But I think all of them are nextgen consoles and Sony is not left behind if we look at the hardware it has motionsensor,graphics,online......PS3 offers more then the 360. The console that have made least changes from last gen is the 360.

inteesting point about the 360 games (although I strongly disagree about the Wii library of games) - I think MS and Sony both spent last gen coveting each others positions, MS wanted the library of games the PS2 had by being out before the Xbox, thus it had already most of the market share before the Xbox was released and Sony hated the way the Xbox was more powerfull than the PS2 as it was released afterwards and MS ensured that it had more power when released.

Now Sony have acheived that with the PS3 - is it all they hoped it would be I wonder, I personally think MS got the better end of the deal.

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

wow, I totally apologize, cause I completely missed the edible cup analogy the first time, and I agree that it is completely awesome.

I think all the systems are honestly offering next gen experiences, but Nintendo simply has the experience most noticeable by the end user. The control method.
The control method is ALWAYS going to be noticed both by the people who play the game and by the people who WATCH those people play, and it will be noticed no matter what game is being played.

Sony has basically taken next gen in terms of AI (cell processing) and for storage format (bluray is doing well and has good potential) but these things just aren't noticed by the end user, they're only noticed by the people who design the games.

Microsoft has brought online pay to the field. They may not have been the first to do it (PC and PS2) but they are the ones who have pushed and supported it so heavily. They're also the ones who have made it a standard for game developers to be able to provide additional content to games, thus extending the life of those games that you buy. The only problem is these are optional features that people won't always notice and won't see with EVERY game.

So really, all 3 systems are next gen, it's just that PS3 isn't next gen in a way consumers will notice, and 360 isn't next gen for ALL of its games. Only Wii is next gen in a way that applies to ALL of its games.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I totaly agree with you gawalls and Tommo, every one has switched roles and are trying to be each other where as nintendos seen an opportune market and broken out of the pack hahaha like the sperm towards the egg! Hahahahah and the Microsoft and Sony sperm kept fighting… and wore each other out… and lost sight of the egg….. anyway…

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

TheUltimateLife said:
microsoft tried motion controle on the pc for gaming once and it didnt take off either, it just wasnt the right time i supose but as far as every one is concerned motion sensing is new in gaming and has never been this wide spread
I dont think it was the timing, motion controls didn't sell themselves when the Wii was demo'd / launched - Wii sports sold the motion controls and without that killer app to seriousls sell it then it was always gonna look gimmcky.  Thats probably where others fell down when trying to market their motion controls.