By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony been left in the last generation?

clandecyon said:

I'm sure that is also a big influence on why they do spend so much time on graphics and aren't "as" concerned with gameplay at least on those systems. They know that the PS3/360 audience (moreso PS3 and online for 360) is more concerned about visuals as they put the money out for it, so regardless if they put more effort in the controls or not, they still risk alienating the audience that the system has and they are developing for if they don't concentrate on graphics to the point that it is better than the last million seller. And regardless of how much they make on these first gen titles, they are going to feel that all future games will have to be based heavily on graphics for those systems and be better than their last effort or they will lose the attention of their audience. It is much easier for these companies to just copy/paste gameplay code and get to work on the real selling points, graphics.

I'm willing to bet as well that they have AWESOME ideas to make the graphics even better, but they hold off, partly to get the product out the door, but to also leave something to add on for the next project. Some companies I'm sure are almost afraid to make a game perfect, because they think they will run out of ideas and that that perfect game will hinder sales for their future potentially mediocre games; plus they have to get the game finished so they can eat to live to make the next project. There is a lot of pressure on the 360/PS3 developers to concentrate on the graphics, one mistake could cost them millions, which even further widens the gap in the debate.

I largely concur with what you just said, but I think they worry about having gameplay, too.  I really believe that a lot of developers this generation have been caught by surprise with the technical dev difficulties to the point their board ends up saying, "forget about doing playtest studies with people off the street, just ship the !@#$@# game when most of the bugs are ironed out... we're spending too much money!"  The problem is that reviews can crush a game... it isn't enough to get a high score in graphics and sound but bomb in playability.  Of course the reverse is true to some extent as well on the PS3/360.

Bungie/MS realized that flashy graphics alone in Halo 3 weren't going to get the kind of mega sells they were looking for, so they had a beta period where they brought in a lot of playtesters and then spent months refining the maps, etc.  But it took someone with pockets as deep as MS to pull it off.

I think the Wii has a big advantage concerning dev costs.  But so many publishers looked at this before launch and said, "no way this platform is going to succeed without high-def graphics, movie playback, big CPU/GPU, etc.".  Now many of them are scrambling to get a ticket on the Wii rocket.

Around the Network
boilermaker11 said:
The thing I don't understand about this generation is that everyone is saying that Nintendo's new take on how to play games is making them the best....

If that's so, then why did the Power Glove fail so bad that it caused PAX to go bankrupt back in the 90s?

I honestly think Nintendo got lucky this time around, as the last time motion controls were attempted, it failed

I am seriously getting sick of people who don't know squat about retro video games getting on here and spouting their opinions as fact. The power glove was a piece of garbae, that is why it failed. If the Power Glove even remotely resembled the way the Wii played then it would have taken off and PAX/Mattel would be the industry leader.

Look at that, notice all those keys up there. Those were used to input codes for each and every game in the NES library released when the glove came out. In order to play with the glove you had to enter a huge code. Definately not user friendly. It "worked" for every game out there but only one game was made specifically for it the pack in game Super Glove Ball. Anyone who played that game knows that it wasn't necessarily terrible it just lacked polish but the controls worked. The problem really stems from the other 400 or so games that were supposedly compatible. None of them worked well and often times you ended up playing the games using the provided D-pad and two button configuration provvided, if you even played with the damn thing at all.

Watch this Video for emphasis:

Do you see any reason at all why you should play with this?

Further emphasis

Which one looks more fun?

EDIT: If you look in the picture frame in the backround you can see how what they "motion" actually translate to what they see on screen. Unlike th powerglove of course. 

TheUltimateLife said:

I’ve been thinking lately about this current generation and both Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo used to spout that their consoles were next gen (meaning this current gen) for their own reasons. Microsoft used to say that motion controls were not next gen n that online play, downloads and graphics were. Nintendo said we need to change the way we play by introducing motion controls and Sony tried to give themselves the elite status by saying their system was the true HD system and offered the true next generation gaming experience.

So I was wondering, now that were in the next generation and we’ve seen what the masses are choosing as their console of choice its obvious that Sony and even Microsoft to a lesser extent got a lot of things wrong with their concept of what a “next generation” console needs. As we all know they focused on what worked for them last generation and failed to invent or take gaming to a new playing field, and this concept of invention seems to be the driving force behind this current generation. Even games are being pushed to new levels of creativity in regards to concept and play constructs.

What I feel is that Sony has kind of made themselves redundant by offering us more of what we already had in a prettier package instead of giving us things we’ve never had before. Its like hot chips, you can get bigger and bigger and bigger serves of them but the moment some one chucks them in an edible cup its like “wow man I get to eat the cup to!” The sales statistics seem to say that gamers today want edible cups if you know what I mean.

So my question is what do you think defines this generation, is it inventive player input equipment like the wii remote and that wii fit balance detector thingy or are graphics and fancy multimedia enhancements the defining aspect of this next generation? Or is it both?

Why would Sony change what they did? they just came of 2 straight 100 million selling consoles. The only problem they really made is making their console too expensive. But to answere your question what did they do to make it an improvement? Duh. Ever heard of Blu Ray? Once developers start taking advantage of the extra space (50gb compared to 9 gb for DVD's), they can make the games longer, add in more stuff, and generally make better games. Plus displaying them in 1080p at 60FPS in very impressive.

rocketpig said:
leo-j said:

support for up to 7 controllers at once

This makes me giggle to no end. Leo, I hope you own seven controllers. Do you want to know why? Because that is the technical limitation of Bluetooth enabled devices at once. You can't have more than seven. And you would be classified by the absolute definition of being a moron for buying that many controllers.

Let me tell you a little secret: The Wii also uses Bluetooth. It would take all of one firmware update to let seven people play with the Wiimote at once. But NO! That's Sony's technology, right?

Here's the problem. No one will program a game for seven people. It makes no sense. It doesn't split a screen well nor does it allow for acceptable gameplay in a one screen environment. There will be nothing more than four players on one screen; it just fits too well.

I know you're young but here's a tip: stop buying into Sony bullshit. Use your head. Think about things and then research them. It only takes a few minutes. Instead of reading a Sony blog, go to http://arstechnica.com or http://www.tomshardware.com and read them for a few months. There are plenty of other sites that do the same. You'll actually learn instead of being called out for being ignorant on forums like these. 

your actaully wrong. A firmware update wont work because from what I have seen on a few Wii hacking sites the Wii uses Bluetooth 1.1 which has a much weaker signal then Bluetooth 2.0.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

TurdFergusonMcGee said:

Why would Sony change what they did? they just came of 2 straight 100 million selling consoles. The only problem they really made is making their console too expensive. But to answere your question what did they do to make it an improvement? Duh. Ever heard of Blu Ray? Once developers start taking advantage of the extra space (50gb compared to 9 gb for DVD's), they can make the games longer, add in more stuff, and generally make better games. Plus displaying them in 1080p at 60FPS in very impressive.

And when would you expect Developers to start taking advantage of the Blu-Ray when its much easier to developer for the 360 then just port the game to the PS3. No one wants do develop a game to the PS3's unique specs, it's a nightmare to develop for, it's expensive to develop considering the bleak returns in profit. And there are very few games that can run at 1080p at 60FPs on the PS3 without substantial frame rate drops or other cut corners.

Around the Network
TurdFergusonMcGee said:

Not that Blu Ray games are  50GB anyway (they are 25GB), the extra space doesn't make for longer or better games. The only thing the space is good for is pre rendered cut scenes, to me that is more likely to make the game worse not better.

The PS3 is not too far behind, but too far ahead. What really screwed Sony over was Blu-Ray. If they could have waited a year or two more, price would have dropped and developers would have been better prepared. If they had waitied, however, HD-DVD might have already won the format war.

It really can be blamed on Microsoft. I still think they played this perfectly. They forced the PS3 to release before its time, with high price point and no exceptional games, aside from Motorstorm and Resistance.

As well as Nintendo is doing right now, the PS3 launched with MGS4, GT5, Playstation Home and at a price between 299-399 would have been too much to deal with. It had the momentum, and the Wii would have never gotten the attention necessary to see how fun it is. Instead the PS3 was full of issues selling for $599 with familiar AAA game and no new game that really amazed people.

People still love incredible graphics, and I bet the best selling movies will still be the ones with the best effects. Sony just has had too much negative PR and they will need games that assert all their claims before they can get back to the old Sony. Uncharted and Ratchet are a start. Hopefully Haze, MGS4 can live up to the hype and Sony will be more judged because of their product and not really a chance because of past PR screw ups.

I for one love my PS3. I think any one who enjoys gaming/gadgets would love one too and the PS3 is still the best pair for any HDTV, worth 3x its selling price.
However, if any more major games dont live up tothe hype America will be lost for good this generation.

ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:
leo-j said:

support for up to 7 controllers at once

This makes me giggle to no end. Leo, I hope you own seven controllers. Do you want to know why? Because that is the technical limitation of Bluetooth enabled devices at once. You can't have more than seven. And you would be classified by the absolute definition of being a moron for buying that many controllers.

Let me tell you a little secret: The Wii also uses Bluetooth. It would take all of one firmware update to let seven people play with the Wiimote at once. But NO! That's Sony's technology, right?

Here's the problem. No one will program a game for seven people. It makes no sense. It doesn't split a screen well nor does it allow for acceptable gameplay in a one screen environment. There will be nothing more than four players on one screen; it just fits too well.

I know you're young but here's a tip: stop buying into Sony bullshit. Use your head. Think about things and then research them. It only takes a few minutes. Instead of reading a Sony blog, go to http://arstechnica.com or http://www.tomshardware.com and read them for a few months. There are plenty of other sites that do the same. You'll actually learn instead of being called out for being ignorant on forums like these. 

your actaully wrong. A firmware update wont work because from what I have seen on a few Wii hacking sites the Wii uses Bluetooth 1.1 which has a much weaker signal then Bluetooth 2.0.

Doesn't matter. From what I know, seven devices is the limitation no matter it its BT 1.1 or 2.0. If you have contrary information, I'm definitely interested to read it.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

This thread earned me my first ban, I guess it was just for 24 hours.
I must be more careful about sarcasm in the future.
I feel so dirty and a little violated.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.