By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony been left in the last generation?

@ Girl Gamer Elite. You Said
And why oh why is the Wii a PS2 when last generation no one would have ever dreamt of comparing the PS2 to the Xbox in graphics?

what are you saying here. I was not comparing the graphics.

You are right Nintendo is TRYING to take gaming further. and if you agree that they have expanded gaming by essentially adding a mouse to Mario, then they have. They have limited gaming by forcing third parties to dream up new ideas that never become realized. It is no mistake that alot of wii games are mini games.

I agree the wii has the potential to create true innovation- YES.
but its unrealized.

When you are describing how narrowing games is shown through focusing on a few genres- you are describing Microsoft's perceived image- which is correct.

Expanding gaming is the key, Yes. But what is gaming.
If you have absolutely no respect or joy for any previous video game system, then I understand your views.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
hunter_alien said:
Next gen for me = batter graphics ... when we will reach the point that we cannot get batter looking visuals , than we will have tim eto change how gameplay works ...

That's like saying, "A good movie for me is one with great special effects, we can worry about plot and acting later."

Reading your words I can't help but invision my 12 year old cousin as that sounds exactly like something he would say.

I like you already, but yeah bettering graphics will never stop if murphy's law holds true. I still think it's too early to really tell who's been left where kinda like with the GCN and ps2 no one really knew who was coming out on top until the end.

rocketpig said:
leo-j said:

support for up to 7 controllers at once

This makes me giggle to no end. Leo, I hope you own seven controllers. Do you want to know why? Because that is the technical limitation of Bluetooth enabled devices at once. You can't have more than seven. And you would be classified by the absolute definition of being a moron for buying that many controllers.

Let me tell you a little secret: The Wii also uses Bluetooth. It would take all of one firmware update to let seven people play with the Wiimote at once. But NO! That's Sony's technology, right?

Here's the problem. No one will program a game for seven people. It makes no sense. It doesn't split a screen well nor does it allow for acceptable gameplay in a one screen environment. There will be nothing more than four players on one screen; it just fits too well.

I know you're young but here's a tip: stop buying into Sony bullshit. Use your head. Think about things and then research them. It only takes a few minutes. Instead of reading a Sony blog, go to http://arstechnica.com or http://www.tomshardware.com and read them for a few months. There are plenty of other sites that do the same. You'll actually learn instead of being called out for being ignorant on forums like these.

The last thing you'd expect from a gaming site... education. 

ultraslick said:
@ Girl Gamer Elite. You Said
And why oh why is the Wii a PS2 when last generation no one would have ever dreamt of comparing the PS2 to the Xbox in graphics?

what are you saying here. I was not comparing the graphics.

You are right Nintendo is TRYING to take gaming further. and if you agree that they have expanded gaming by essentially adding a mouse to Mario, then they have. They have limited gaming by forcing third parties to dream up new ideas that never become realized. It is no mistake that alot of wii games are mini games.

I agree the wii has the potential to create true innovation- YES.
but its unrealized.

When you are describing how narrowing games is shown through focusing on a few genres- you are describing Microsoft's perceived image- which is correct.

Expanding gaming is the key, Yes. But what is gaming.
If you have absolutely no respect or joy for any previous video game system, then I understand your views.

Of course I have respect and joy for previous video game systems. That's why I own a Wii, the only one with 100% backward compatibility and possesses the expanding virtual console which is far more encompassing that the similar features on the 360 or PS3. It would seem you've damned yourself by your own admission here since you prefer consoles that turn their back on previous video game systems.

The Wii does all this in addition to looking towards the future as well while the 360 and PS3 look to how to burn the bridges behind them while narrowing the video game spectrum ever more.

I am done for now, this thread is pure flamebait gold.
Interesting to say the least.

If I had preferred consoles that turned their backs on previous generations, I would have bought a wii.

Simply because gaming has always matured from one generation to the next. Sony has done this no question.

The real question this post should be asking is : Has the wii

I hear what you are saying, I just have different philosophies.

I may still one day get a wii. (my gamecube broke) 

Around the Network

In my honest opinion:
I can not believe the thread made it this far

ultraslick said:

I am done for now, this thread is pure flamebait gold.
Interesting to say the least.

If I had preferred consoles that turned their backs on previous generations, I would have bought a wii. 

And so in the end you're left with nothing but repeating the very claim which was throughly trounced and proved quite erroneous. How mature indeed. At least you were quick enough to know when to make your exit.

"trounced" by who: girl gamer elite.
fine by me.

Tell me this: yes or no to OP

Has Sony been left in the last generation?

ultraslick said:
"trounced" by who: girl gamer elite.
fine by me.

Tell me this: yes or no to OP

Has Sony been left in the last generation?

I thought you were leaving this thread? Is pride getting the better of you?

Entroper said:
Diomedes1976 said:
people believe it [Wii] to be something different to what it is.

This is possibly the smartest thing you've ever said, but only if you reverse its intended meaning.

In case you didn't get that, you're the one who thinks it's something different than what it is. 

Wrong,I know exactly what the Wii is because I have played it.Most people ,on the other side,believe the Wii tracks effectively all your moves and that you are doing sport by playing it,both things being totally untrue.