By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony been left in the last generation?

TheUltimateLife said:
man that robot! y did they put him in mario kart DS, he is so out of place! sonic and mario i understand them going together and all the characters in SSB but that robot!!! Nintendo must want his memory to live on a little stronger then in just nostalgia ROB was prolly like todays robosapien and roboraptor

Erm, wasnt ROB also a non-playable character in the Star Fox series...

Games i'm currently playing:

Around the Network

"2 gimmicks if you include the DS smidlee - I think I read somewhere that was selling pretty well (sarcasm). "

I wouldn't call GB,GBA,PSP nor DS as gimmicks but hand held consoles. If I not mistaken a few years ago even cell phone games sold like hotcakes in Japan so no surprise in DS sales especially in the improved LCD's.

celine said:
@UltimateLife
It's not only a question of user experience but also a question of business model around that user experience.
Nintendo is creating and offering a new business model to this industry, when previously the only way was the incremental approach on "what you put on the screen".

Yeah their disrupting of the market stratergy thingy, i cant remember what they called it, it was out of some business stratergy book (im bad with remembering names of things) lol who ever wrote that book knew a thing or two about business.

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

personally i like the diversity. Game play with good gfx and, Then alright gameplay with awesome gfx.

It gives a balance to the world. THis is definetly a gen where you have to own a wii and a ps3 or xbxo360.

TheUltimateLife said:

Yeah their disrupting of the market stratergy thingy, i cant remember what they called it, it was out of some business stratergy book (im bad with remembering names of things) lol who ever wrote that book knew a thing or two about business.

There are 2 actually : Blue Ocean Strategy and Innovator's Dilemna.

It's amazing that right now, people are only starting to understand what the Nintendo execs started to apply years ago. Especially since the most difficult feat is not to understand the books, but to apply what they say successfully.

People also have problem with common sense. They think everything they think about is common sense.

I'm thinnking of HDTV. It's cool because MS, Sony and their fans won't be able to fight Nintendo, as long as they're lost in their misleading thoughts that they think are common sense.

Because to fight your enemy, you have to understand it first. Thus why Sony and MS will be left behind.

What they fail to understand, and that I see often, is that Wii graphics do not look dated at all on HDTV, and there's no need to release any Wii with HD graphics. The Wii has component output, which is more than sufficient for HDTV. That will be the case as long as the main sources that feed HDTV are SD sources. As long as people can go back to their SD sources after seeing HD sources, and think they look better (like DVD look better than any HD game), the Wii won't need any HD output. That means for the next 9 years.

This is strange too that some people believe HD will have any impact, when all the consoles this gen came initially with composite cables. If HD was the way to go, they would all come standard with a component or HDMI cable.

But cognitive dissonance will assure that Nintendo's competition won't realize this soon enough. They should have understod all of this before the Wii's launch.

Around the Network

ookaze u should be a ninja or a wise kung fu master! if ur not one allready

You should post something in my new thread about this, it fits perfectly, i started a new one based on the direction this one had taken

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=13073&start=0#end

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

Smidlee said:
"2 gimmicks if you include the DS smidlee - I think I read somewhere that was selling pretty well (sarcasm). "

I wouldn't call GB,GBA,PSP nor DS as gimmicks but hand held consoles. If I not mistaken a few years ago even cell phone games sold like hotcakes in Japan so no surprise in DS sales especially in the improved LCD's.

How can technology ever proceed without gimmicks? I imagine the standard lightbulb was seen to be a gimmick when it was created as candles could do the job well enough. Just because the Wii offers something different doesnt mean you have to ridicule it. Whats wrong with having the scope and imagination, not to mention the balls to do something different or should we all proceed with the same things over and over. Personally im glad its people with the creative will and the desire for change that control the company i favour the most and not a cynical git like yourself.

lol so true Nairu the industry would end up growing stagnant and we may see a repeat of the colaps if it didnt keep moving foward. We would then have to blame sony and microsoft for it. Hey does any one think if the wii never came out would the 360 and ps3 still have the same sales rate or would their be a substantial increase to weekly sales? maybe every ones allready grown tired of the old way to play games but the wii just masks it and people go about thinking the wii is digging into 360 n ps3 sales

Currently playing:

TheUltimateLife said:
lol so true Nairu the industry would end up growing stagnant and we may see a repeat of the colaps if it didnt keep moving foward. We would then have to blame sony and microsoft for it. Hey does any one think if the wii never came out would the 360 and ps3 still have the same sales rate or would their be a substantial increase to weekly sales? maybe every ones allready grown tired of the old way to play games but the wii just masks it and people go about thinking the wii is digging into 360 n ps3 sales

I dont know about this generation but the market, had it remained the same, would have eventually crashed.

I feel there's a place for graphics and for innovation. Playing PS3 and Motorstorm for the first time ever yesterday, I realised Sony's console does have ridiculously good graphics, and I found myself enjoying the game because of it.

But Nintendo has got all the momentum now, and the price point.