By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gears Designer 'Would Die' If Gears of War 3 Hit 10 Million Sales

Industrygamers

Gears of War 3 may be the "most anticipated game of 2011" according to Ipsos, and Microsoft has promised that it'll be the "biggest entertainment event" in 2011, but the game's designer, Cliff Bleszinski, is a bit more cautious when it comes to sales expectations. After all, this fall/holiday is going to be extremely crowded with hot titles likeUncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim... to name just a few. 

On top of that, Gears 3 is exclusive to Xbox 360 and therefore can't benefit from the multiplatform installed bases. That said, Bleszinski and Epic are doing everything they can to make it the best Gears yet, and fans will no doubt be eager to see how the trilogy closes. 

"If you come out in September, then you actually have a chance of several holiday bumps."

When asked what sales target he has in mind [Gears 1 & 2 combined have sold over 12 million - Ed.], Bleszinski told us, "Definitely over 6 million, obviously. But deep down, just to be perfectly candid and honest, I would die if we hit 10 - that would be phenomenal. But I can only pray and hope. It’s up to the gamers to vote with their wallets."

Bleszinski is more than confident in the game's quality and that gamers will get a lot of value for their $60. We asked him what his primary objectives were with Gears 3 when he started development, and he answered, "Well, the first thing we wanted the online to actually f***ing work. I hear that’s kind of important in this day and age. So…Gears 2, the first month was pretty rough, but we managed to iron out a lot of the issues. But still, dedicated servers, man. That’s crucial. I think if you’re going to make a shooter that they’re really necessary. So the difference we have now, though, it’s just amazing how cool it is, how smooth it is, how wonderfully it plays online."

He continued, "We also wanted to provide a satisfying campaign that really was nice and meaty, that really wrapped up a lot of that story element. I can’t talk too much about it, but there’s some nice twists and turns in there, some highs and some lows, and ultimately, ending up being very, very satisfying. And we also wanted to deliver a game that has enough stuff so people don’t see it as a campaign rental. So you have Beast Mode, you have Horde mode, great versus multiplayer, a great campaign... hard to deny it. So we want a $60 day one game that people want to keep forever."

As for dealing with the crowded holiday, especially the Call of Duty vs. Battlefieldshowdown, Bleszinski admitted that "there's a little overlap," but he's hopeful people will still choose Gears 3 and hang onto for a prolonged period. "Of course it concerns me. Well, when you haveEA throw a $100 million dollar marketing at it we're like, 'Hey Microsoft, pony up some more money.' With that said, those two are going head to head in November, and we have a good month and a half before then and I’m hoping if we get enough of that installed base of people who are hooked on our system of ribbons and unlockables and achievement points, gamers will be like, 'Damnit, no, I have to buy either Call of Duty or Battlefield, cause I’m keeping Gears.' That’s what we’re hoping for.

Finally, Bleszinski also confirmed that shipping Gears 3 on September 20 was a Microsoft decision, but it seems to be one he's quite happy with. "If you come out in September, then you actually have a chance of several holiday bumps. You get September, you get Black Friday, then you get all the money the kids get after Christmas they spend with their gift cards on the games; so sometimes you get a double, or triple bump. We just want to make sure enough people get their hands on it and their eyes on it to see that this is a great game. It’s really polished up amazingly online, so they’ll hopefully stick with it," he said.

Around the Network

Ima buying 5,000,000 copies!

based on the quality of gears of war 1 and 2 gears 3 should sell 15 million because its 3 times better :D

Was just about to post this, some great tidbits in there!!!

I agree it'll do well. I see 6 mill this year alone. It's gearing up (sorry) for a big launch ala Halo: Reach, 3/4 mill first week. Launching in September will help as well, also if MS cut the price around here, the stars will be alligned for Cliffy!

It is a intersting observation that this holiday season may be bigger than ever before. The usual suspects, MW3 and Assassins Creed are sure to be big holiday sellers. Battlefield, Skyrim and Uncharted 3 are now added to the mix. Last year, Halo Reach launched great, but saw sales fall and trade in ups in the holiday period, mainly due to Blops. The same happen this year.

What epic and MS have to thier advantage is that gears 3 is releasing at a time with limited competition, and is the first big post summer drought release. MS must capitalize on this with a bigger than ever ad campaign for Gears. With preorders already at a record high, Gears could see 3-4 million sales in its first month.

Around the Network

I don't think it can hit 10m unless it's even more critically acclaimed than Gears 2, I personally thought that Gears 2 was such a grind - halfway through the campaign, and the multiplayer was a big bitch to play with the fucking shotgunners rolling around all the bloody time.

It was a good game, not great. Interesting to see how 3 will turn out, as I haven't had a chance to play the Beta.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Well this game will have no problems hitting the 6M mark, 7-8M is a strong possibility. But, I think the only chance it would have to hit 10M would be if it were Multiplat, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Gears of War 3 may be the "most anticipated game of 2011" according to Ipsos, and Microsoft has promised that it'll be the "biggest entertainment event" in 2011

It just takes 3 letters to make them look like fools

MW3

Gears of war 3 will be lucky to do lifetime what MW3 does first week!

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

daveJ said

Gears of war 3 will be lucky to do lifetime what MW3 does first week!

You give Gears too much credit.  I'm going with less then day 1 sales :D

Gears of War 3 will be an Epic Game!
And I hope sales stay well below 10 million.