By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata on Wii failures - No HD/No Hardcore

Ugh ... this is kind of insulting to PS360, as if to say they soley have the core based on HD graphics.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

I doubt they register only for fun:

Oh no, they do, just to taunt fans *cough* Halo Wars 2

Iwata really has lost it if he thinks HD has any capability to improve games. It's a marginally sharper picture -not even 3x at 1080p- and nothing more. Nothing that matters. All it really does is inflate the cost to produce games beyond all reason, as evidenced by the long list of third parties who tried to go HD-exclusive this gen and then died when they couldn't break even at sales rates that, only a generation before (or on the Wii) would have netted handsome profits. And for what? Pretty pictures.

As for the hardcore, Nintendo is wasting its time going after them. They're never coming back, no matter what Nintendo does. They still haven't forgiven Nintendo for the SNES version of the original Mortal Kombat. Leave them to their basements.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

No no no, it wasn't HD holding back the Wii, or the hardly core (since the Wii sold more therefor they are not the driving force for the market) it was Nintendo who was reluctant to support the system with software and expected third party's to get common sense and support the market leader (HA!)

Wii ware was under used, instead of lifting the download limit and actually releasing games people want to play, you me and the cubes? Why not a new, ice climbers, balloon battle, or duck hunt? It worked for excite bike. Instead of throwing the money down to make Wii music why don't you use that to make a ton of smaller games?

Poor virtual console, you could of housed games that people will pay up to HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS to buy off Ebay yet Nintendo couldn't even bother releasing Earthbound.

Where was all the games to support motion plus? Or even the balance board? No 1080 snowboarding for an attachment that sold as much as the Gamecube? NOTHING! They release one game for the gun attachment as well!

Nintendo also being reluctant to release games across all regions also doesn't help either.

The software they released was at times was CANCER. Animal crossing was a DS port! Wii music had a worst music editor/game than Mario Paint on the SNES! Metroid Other M....oh god don't get me started...Making more 3D Mario games when 2D Mario games DESTROYED it in sales and profit!

While all this was happening, they were BANKROLLING. They HAD THE MONEY AND RESOURCES TO FIX THIS!
They didn't expand, they didn't push the system or keep releasing software to keep interest.

Why did the Wii GET ONE ZELDA? THE GAMECUBE GOT TWO! There is no good reason why this should of happened!

LordTheNightKnight said:
"You think these companies have an endless supply of funds they could throw around?"

If they didn't have the funds to support the HD systems and the Wii... that explains their financial problems this generation.

But refusing to try based on what they already spent is part of the sunken cost fallacy (and no, that isn't around just because a certain blogger wrote about it).

"3rd parties are evil, they hate Ninty"

No, I'm "third parties, Sony, Microsoft, and even now Nintendo, are full of the need to show off, and they need to fucking stop, as history has shown games sell best when the players show off". Their problems with the Wii are based on that, but it doesn't make that attitude any less asinine.

So where the hell were they going to get the funds AFTER they made their stuff for the HDs and PCs??? Maybe they didnt refuse, maybe some of them couldnt and Nintendo didnt help by making a system that didnt gel with what the 3rd parties were making, They know this which is why they are doing what they are doing with the Wii U now.And i have no idea how the hell players show off. If these companies didnt "show off" how the hell would they get people excited to bu their crap???

Around the Network

When is this "Why Wii sux!" and the "Why Wii ROX!" ever going to end? , its the same argument for 5 years? , whats funny is that the same people who argued before are arguing now.

Seece said:
Ugh ... this is kind of insulting to PS360, as if to say they soley have the core based on HD graphics.

that is true as well.

most nintendo fans think that only because a game is in HD that people play it, no sir, its actually a good "Game"  , which is why i'm glad nintendo finally made an HD console so we don't get these "people only like it because it has good graphics" bullshit.

Mr Khan said:
I must say we have cause to be worried if Nintendo is speaking of an absence of features as what hurt the platform. Now in a roundabout way the lack of HD did hurt, but that's because of third party obstinance (which in turn lead to a dearth of multiplat titles), and not because of the lack of HD as a thing in itself

So you belive that it was multi company conspiracy that kept Wii from getting games? :)

LOL noone wanted to make games for it because they required rebuilding code from zero instead of cheap porting.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Mr Khan said:
I must say we have cause to be worried if Nintendo is speaking of an absence of features as what hurt the platform. Now in a roundabout way the lack of HD did hurt, but that's because of third party obstinance (which in turn lead to a dearth of multiplat titles), and not because of the lack of HD as a thing in itself

So you belive that it was multi company conspiracy that kept Wii from getting games? :)

LOL noone wanted to make games for it because they required rebuilding code from zero instead of cheap porting.

SOme fans would dare not admit to this, becaue if they did they would have to acknowledge that NINTENDO actually screwed themselves by making such wacky hardware. And their love for the company would never allow them to state they actually made a mistake, which ironically is the same mistake made with N64 and why that console got MUCH less support than PS1

Zlejedi said:
Mr Khan said:

I haven't said conspiracy, though in some cases deliberate self-sabotage was definitely what was going on, but rather developers and publishers who just refused to adapt their systems to work with Wii for reasons like you stated, and while the porting wasn't cheap, it was ultimately a one-time investment as far as franchises were concerned (like how after Treyarch managed to get the Modern Warfare engine up on Wii, then Call of Duties were easy to make for the platform)

Conspiracy was the case in a few instances (EA with Dead Space Extraction and NBA Jam comes to mind), but obstinance is more than that

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.