By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Stanley Kubrick

pezus said:
Boutros said:
dystopia said:
Boutros said:
I think A Clockwork Orange aged horribly.

The Shining is awesome even by today's standards.

Really? I don't think any of his films have aged badly.

The world in which A Clockwork Orange takes place isn't impressive anymore. I wouldn't even call the movie violent by today's standards. The prison part is still very great but you still have to go through the rather painful and overlong first part of the movie.

I fully disagree! The first part of the movie is great!

It most certainly is great!

Around the Network

Clockwork Orange for me.

Clockwork Orange and The Shining for me, I must admit though I'm one of the few people in this world who really didn't like 2001 A Space Odyssey. I don't know why I just can't seem to enjoy it.

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

What about his earlier films, Fear & Desire and The Killing? Any fans of those?

chazy13 said:
amp316 said:
2001 : A Space Odyssey and Full Metal Jacket are also phenomenal. So was that movie that Tarantino ripped off.

what movie are u actually talking about, i honestly cant think of 1 film they did that was similar

Anyway, on the topic of his best film, i would have to say the shining, followed closely by a clockwork orange. He is also one of my favorite directors although i never liked 2001, mainly because the human characters in it were so boring

I love Reservoir Dogs as much as the next guy, but let's just say that it "borrows" a lot from The Killing.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
dystopia said:
What about his earlier films, Fear & Desire and The Killing? Any fans of those?

The Killing is one of my top 5's for me. But its 2001 > Shining > Barry Lyndon, i think, but it changes all the time, due to his complex work.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

never heard of him any recommendations?

Boutros said:
dystopia said:
Boutros said:

The world in which A Clockwork Orange takes place isn't impressive anymore. I wouldn't even call the movie violent by today's standards. The prison part is still very great but you still have to go through the rather painful and overlong first part of the movie.

That movie wasn't just about showing violent world it was more about a reflection on violence, on its consequences, on punishment and on absolution. It may not be screen-shattering by today standards but it's content is still very relevant today imo. Also you can't expect a film from 70s to be as brutal as modern movie, at the time censorship was still very present, and the movie was so extreme that it had to be withdrawn in the UK. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange_%28film%29#American_censorship ).

At the OP I think 2001, Orange Clockwork and Dr. Strangelove are the best. Also Lolita and Shining are great.

freebs2 said:
Boutros said:
dystopia said:
Boutros said:

That movie wasn't just about showing violent world it was more about a reflection on violence, on its consequences, on punishment and on absolution. It may not be screen-shattering by today standards but it's content is still very relevant today imo. Also you can't expect a film from 70s to be as brutal as modern movie, at the time censorship was still very present, and the movie was so extreme that it had to be withdrawn in the UK. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange_%28film%29#American_censorship ).

At the OP I think 2001, Orange Clockwork and Dr. Strangelove are the best. Also Lolita and Shining are great.

Well the ones who censored Jaws and The Exorcist gravely failed.

2001. But I like science fiction, so it kind of cheats to win. He's one of my favorite directors.