By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Stanley Kubrick

One of my all time favorite directors.

A Clockwork Orange is probably my favorite, but I think that Peter Sellers' performance in Dr. Strangelove is criminally underrated despite the Oscar nomination. Sellers' magnificent acting is often overlooked since he was a comedic actor.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah...

2001 : A Space Odyssey and Full Metal Jacket are also phenomenal. So was that movie that Tarantino ripped off.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

I think A Clockwork Orange aged horribly.

The Shining is awesome even by today's standards.

amp316 said:
2001 : A Space Odyssey and Full Metal Jacket are also phenomenal. So was that movie that Tarantino ripped off.

what movie are u actually talking about, i honestly cant think of 1 film they did that was similar

Anyway, on the topic of his best film, i would have to say the shining, followed closely by a clockwork orange. He is also one of my favorite directors although i never liked 2001, mainly because the human characters in it were so boring

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent

Boutros said:

Really? I don't think any of his films have aged badly.

dystopia said:
Boutros said:

The world in which A Clockwork Orange takes place isn't impressive anymore. I wouldn't even call the movie violent by today's standards. The prison part is still very great but you still have to go through the rather painful and overlong first part of the movie.

Around the Network
dystopia said:
For sure, It was far ahead of it's time, and also the special effects work still holds up, something you can't say about most 40 year old films.

They say Planet of the Apes won the honorary Academy Award for outstanding make-up achievement, only because they believed that Kubrik had used real Apes for 2001

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Boutros said:
dystopia said:
Boutros said:

The world in which A Clockwork Orange takes place isn't impressive anymore. I wouldn't even call the movie violent by today's standards. The prison part is still very great but you still have to go through the rather painful and overlong first part of the movie.

I have to disagree with you, find it very impressive and atmospheric.

Full Metal Jacket stops me dead in my tracks every time. I even have it saved to my PSP!

Favourites:
- Spartacus (still one of the best "sandal" films ever made despite all the conflicts before and during production)
- Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- A Clockwork Orange

Like:
- Paths of Glory
- Barry Lyndon (a very underrated movie imo)
- The Shining
- Full Metal Jacket

Dislike:
- Lolita
- Eyes Wide Shut (I not only dislike EWS, I hate it)
Even though both movies are based on famous and acclaimed novel(la)s by Nabokov and Schnitzler, I'd label them as "Altherrenfantasie", as we say in Germany.
Objectively Lolita is a good, probably even a great movie, but I just can't stand the story despite the fact that Kubrick transported the subtlety of the story very well to the screen.
Eyes Wide Shut, on the other hand, is imo by far Kubrick's worst work and not a subtle transition at all.

Kubrick was always in danger of crossing the thin line between absolute devotion and pretentiousness, but in the end he often succeeded and created some masterpieces. It's ironic he wasted all his energy and eventually his life on a (imo) extremely weak and pretentious movie like EWS.

Never seen:
- Fear and Desire
- Killer's Kiss
- The Killing

I still have to see some of his movies but from the ones I've seen my favorite is Dr. Strangelove.

Peter Sellers is awesome in his three roles and George C. Scott cracks me up as General Buck Turgidson. The movie features a dark humour like no other and provides great quotes like "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. "

Signature goes here!