By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Kind of Already Has a Portable Gaming Machine.....

disolitude said:
scottie said:
disolitude said:
scottie said:
disolitude said:
PullusPardus said:

You sound like someone that really hasn't used the phone but talked to people wo didn't like it.

1. Bing maps and search more than do the job. Infact I prefer Bing search to Google search on my Android as they list important things close to me first (like Hockey team scores and other news). And they are fully integrated. So whats this "no proper search" talk?

2. Currently Google search can be done through an app and its not very good as all it is a hyperlink to google page using the browser. But guess what? It was made by Google INC.  And Google hasn't come around to making a better app...so blame them. Microsoft can't make a better Google app.

3. Mac OSX marketshare is more like 7%...10% with Ipads, Iphones and all that jazz. And WP7 works on Macs! Apparently some Mac users have issues but it works for most...so yes, WP7 supports the 7% of users who are set on using macs and don't have a Windows OS partition set up to sync their Windows phone with. Itunes was dreadful on PCs while I used Ipods (2008 and prior) and people always told me "you need a mac to use Itunes properly".

Yeah, I haven't used W7P, but you yourself have admitted that using google maps and google search is a hassle, and I don't consider bing maps or bing search to be valid options, hence W7P have a terrible UI for me. The majority of the world does not view bing or bing maps as a valid choice, and thus for the majority of the world, it has a terrible UI. You can enjoy it all you like.

I don't believe that you used an Ipod with a windows computer in 2008. I don't believe that people told you you need a mac for it to work properly. I believe you made both of these up in an attempt to win an argument on the internet, and I believe that to be quite sad.

Around the Network
scottie said:

Yeah, I haven't used W7P, but you yourself have admitted that using google maps and google search is a hassle, and I don't consider bing maps or bing search to be valid options, hence W7P have a terrible UI for me. The majority of the world does not view bing or bing maps as a valid choice, and thus for the majority of the world, it has a terrible UI. You can enjoy it all you like.

I don't believe that you used an Ipod with a windows computer in 2008. I don't believe that people told you you need a mac for it to work properly. I believe you made both of these up in an attempt to win an argument on the internet, and I believe that to be quite sad.

Haha, yeah you got me. I've never owned an Ipod or used Itunes. I didn't have an ipod classic 20 gb, 2 ipod minis, a shuffle and an ipod touch sitting somewher ein the basement. And all of them didn't break within a year of usage...none of that happened.

Seriously though. next time you have a chance try bing search on a windows phone. It is actually pretty good integration in to the phone, and you may not come of sounding so ignorant if you know what you're talking about.

disolitude said:
PullusPardus said:

I GOT ONE! woooooottt...

but the user interface is very shitty, its no wonder no one buys it, it looks like its running on a homebrew'd OS , just a black background with green words in the front , kinda like how VGchartz used to look like, and the "Tiles" look slightly off, they're on the side with a noticable space on the right of the screen that is unused (Wtf?) you can change the black to white , and change the tiles colors to a bunch of colors, but it is still very unappealing, i bought it myself to play the exclusive XBL games, but they should really make it more appealing , and more user friendly (which is ironic from their ad campaign) , the phone is confusing , they mostly use icons instead of words so you don't know what this icon does unless you remember it , for example if you want to select "more options" you have to touch a barely seen icon tucked in the bottom right of the screen with a "...." , at first i never knew its an icon i thought its just a background thing, and it doesn't say what it does, so yeah they really need to make it more appealing! , i never going to see myself using this OS in my daily activities, Android and IOS are ironically more user friendly , and are much faster, which is another issue with Windows Phone 7 , is that everytime you select an app or folder, it shows you an unneeded little animation similar to the one you see in dvd/bluray movies when you select for example "Scene Selection"

WP7 slow? not user friendly? unneeded animations? Phone confusing?  Whats with you and trolling these days?

All these things are the reasons most reviewers praise the WP7 OS as it does them well. If you said that it lacks some features iOS and android have, I may have believed you...

OP - I've unlocked at least a 400-500 WP7 achievements. Beat Castlevania Puzzle of the night, tiki towers, fruit ninja and am working on Doodle jumper right now. Phone gaming like WP7 and IOS is portable gaming at its best. You can actually do it on the go, in the bus or subway...and not look like a total retard or fall face first when the driver slams on the breaks.

well to be honest, it might because i used Android , i've used all the mobile OS's out there and here is what i think of them (and i am not really trolling btw, do you seriously think i've wrote all that just for the sake of trolling? )

Best overall features

Android > IOS > WP7 > Symbian

Speed

Android > IOS = WP7 >>>>>>>>>>>> Symbian (seriously its very slow, a pain to navigate)

Marketplace

IOS = Android with IOS on the edge in quantity, but in reality it just has more useless apps > Symbian > WP7

Costumizablity

Android (this is where Android rules the most)  >>> IOS > Symbian > WP7 (WP7 is very strict , most of the stuff cannot work unless its its made by microsoft)

ooooooooooooooooh..........lol

disolitude said:
scottie said:

Haha, yeah you got me. I've never owned an Ipod or used Itunes. I didn't have an ipod classic 20 gb, 2 ipod minis, a shuffle and an ipod touch sitting somewher ein the basement. And all of them didn't break within a year of usage...none of that happened.

Seriously though. next time you have a chance try bing search on a windows phone. It is actually pretty good integration in to the phone, and you may not come of sounding so ignorant if you know what you're talking about.

What problems have you encountered with syncing ipods to itunes on windows. I am not interested in hardware faults. I have owned a couple of ipods, and connected them to both my mac and my windows computers, and never encountered any bugs, nor any differences between the windows and mac versions of itunes. Nor have I ever heard anyone claim that ipods dont work well with windows (apart from the very first ones that didn't work with windows at all, obviously) hence I'm sure you can understand why I do not believe in these mystery bugs you mentioned.

As for the 'try it and you might like it' attitude towards bing, I have tried it, many many times. It is incapable of producing relevant results. The comptuers at my uni recently got new software put on, which means they have IE7 and Firefox. Of course, The uni's logon system is incompatible with Firefox, so they only have IE7. When I'm just trying to search something very simple, I use bing, because that's what the search toolbar uses. It has not once produced useful results, and I have given up. How then, is bing better on a phone than on a PC? The bing search algorithm just isn't up to scratch.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
scottie said:
disolitude said:
PullusPardus said:

WP7 slow? not user friendly? unneeded animations? Phone confusing?  Whats with you and trolling these days?

All these things are the reasons most reviewers praise the WP7 OS as it does them well. If you said that it lacks some features iOS and android have, I may have believed you...

I have to disagree disolitude, there's a lot of user interface problems with the phone from the reviews I've read.

Probably the two biggest are the difficulty of getting to google maps and google search on the phone, compared to even my shitty smartphone that has them straight from the desktop/menu.

Additionally, If you own a mac it seems pretty clunky to get it to connect to a W7P, compared to iphone or android.

Sure, my droid came out a year before WP7, but thats one of the challenges Andoid has...not standardized hardware. One phone may be slugish while another is fast. WP7 is pretty much all the same experience.

Both Android and WP7 have standard hardware requirements that can be followed or exceeded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_7#System_requirements

http://www.netmite.com/android/mydroid/development/pdk/docs/system_requirements.html

PS: RIM is Research in Motion, as in the Blackberry. Significant in the U.S. (perhaps the U.K. and Canada as well?), but not as much in mainland Europe and Japan.

scottie said:
disolitude said:
scottie said:

What problems have you encountered with syncing ipods to itunes on windows. I am not interested in hardware faults. I have owned a couple of ipods, and connected them to both my mac and my windows computers, and never encountered any bugs, nor any differences between the windows and mac versions of itunes. Nor have I ever heard anyone claim that ipods dont work well with windows (apart from the very first ones that didn't work with windows at all, obviously) hence I'm sure you can understand why I do not believe in these mystery bugs you mentioned.

No really the Bing voice search is excellent on the windows phone, you literally cannot know how good it is until you use it. I say what I want and it brings up local stuff first using my location...its just as good as my uncles voice search on his android phone. 

MS hate run deepeth with some here.

Seriously, I expect hardcore Sony and Nintendo fanboys to attack the 360. This IS VGChartz, after all. But some of the stuff I've read here in attack of even WP7 as an OS is just ... wow.

I just got a Trophy about a week ago. My first smartphone. I've played around with friend's iPhone's and Droid's and neither made me feel it was worth the jump. WP7's OS just seemed ... right in a lot of ways. So now I have one and keep getting wowed on a daily basis. It's a great OS that's silky smooth, aesthetically appealing and really easy to use.

It's sad to see such fanboyism here even with smartphones, but whatever.

OT: Microsoft has a LONG way to go to make phone gaming truly relevant, imo. I don't know if they have a strong enough desire for that. Maybe they have some big plans for later this year that they are saving for a later date as they did with Gamescon last year (which will not be held this year), but I'm not confident. I've had fun with Ilo Milo, though. The Harvest is actually maybe a bit too deep for a phone game, imo. Still looking for worthy games, but overall it all still feels very ... half hearted. We'll see.

Darth Tigris said:
MS hate run deepeth with some here.

Seriously, I expect hardcore Sony and Nintendo fanboys to attack the 360. This IS VGChartz, after all. But some of the stuff I've read here in attack of even WP7 as an OS is just ... wow.

I just got a Trophy about a week ago. My first smartphone. I've played around with friend's iPhone's and Droid's and neither made me feel it was worth the jump. WP7's OS just seemed ... right in a lot of ways. So now I have one and keep getting wowed on a daily basis. It's a great OS that's silky smooth, aesthetically appealing and really easy to use.

It's sad to see such fanboyism here even with smartphones, but whatever.

OT: Microsoft has a LONG way to go to make phone gaming truly relevant, imo. I don't know if they have a strong enough desire for that. Maybe they have some big plans for later this year that they are saving for a later date as they did with Gamescon last year (which will not be held this year), but I'm not confident. I've had fun with Ilo Milo, though. The Harvest is actually maybe a bit too deep for a phone game, imo. Still looking for worthy games, but overall it all still feels very ... half hearted. We'll see.

I agree. I have the Samsung Focus and after owning an iPhone for 3 years, I can safely say they WP7 is the sexiest, fastest most fluid and touch responsive Mobile OS out there. After experiencing Zune pass, I just can't go back to anything else. I have a feeling that after the "Mango" update later this year this phone is going to really take of.

scottie said:

How does that make the UI bad? You don't like the services on the phone, fair enough, but how is it Microsoft's fault that Google isn't providing their services with a smart and accessible UI on the phone?

Also, a statement like "the majority of the world does not..." reeks of fanboyism. Show me the evidence please. And while I can't show you evidence for the opposite for the entire world, I can show you that Bing has about 30% of the search engine market in the US. If Bing can hold a 30% marketshare in the US, then perhaps the people viewing it as an invalid choice of search engine, only do so out of perception?