By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Kind of Already Has a Portable Gaming Machine.....

PullusPardus said:
yo_john117 said:
PullusPardus said:

I GOT ONE! woooooottt...

but the user interface is very shitty, its no wonder no one buys it, it looks like its running on a homebrew'd OS , just a black background with green words in the front , kinda like how VGchartz used to look like, and the "Tiles" look slightly off, they're on the side with a noticable space on the right of the screen that is unused (Wtf?) you can change the black to white , and change the tiles colors to a bunch of colors, but it is still very unappealing, i bought it myself to play the exclusive XBL games, but they should really make it more appealing , and more user friendly (which is ironic from their ad campaign) , the phone is confusing , they mostly use icons instead of words so you don't know what this icon does unless you remember it , for example if you want to select "more options" you have to touch a barely seen icon tucked in the bottom right of the screen with a "...." , at first i never knew its an icon i thought its just a background thing, and it doesn't say what it does, so yeah they really need to make it more appealing! , i never going to see myself using this OS in my daily activities, Android and IOS are ironically more user friendly , and are much faster, which is another issue with Windows Phone 7 , is that everytime you select an app or folder, it shows you an unneeded little animation similar to the one you see in dvd/bluray movies when you select for example "Scene Selection"

Really? I have one and I think its a fantastic interface...pretty basic but its seriously great.

i'm sure you haven't read the wall of text i posted, but i don't blame you

i explained why i think its shitty.

xD yeah I only read the first couple of sentences (I have a short attention span when I'm not required to have a long attention span >_< )

I'll read it now.

Ok now that i've read it I do agree with some of your points (like the simple backgrounds that I wish had more options) but I think it is very user friendly. It literally took me about an Half an hour to know how to do just about everything whilst when I mess with my uncles android I still don't know what i'm doing half the time.

As for the speed Its pretty fast for me (especially with the update that came in March) and there are no animations for me when I click on tiles.

Oh and all the tiles have the names of what they are on the bottom left side of each tile.

Around the Network

Lol. The majority of VGChartzers aren't even capable of admitting that the iphone is a gaming machine, and it has a MUCH better gaming lineup than W7P.

As for W7P being smart because it avoids competition with Sony and Nintendo, that is true. But it does put them in competition with Apple, RIM, and Google. Good luck.

scottie said:
Lol. The majority of VGChartzers aren't even capable of admitting that the iphone is a gaming machine, and it has a MUCH better gaming lineup than W7P.

As for W7P being smart because it avoids competition with Sony and Nintendo, that is true. But it does put them in competition with Apple, RIM, and Google. Good luck.

What the heck is RIM?

yo_john117 said:
scottie said:

What the heck is RIM?

Research In Motion. They make blackberries

yo_john117 said:
scottie said:

What the heck is RIM?

RIM is RIM   -.-  geezz

=p

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:

I GOT ONE! woooooottt...

but the user interface is very shitty, its no wonder no one buys it, it looks like its running on a homebrew'd OS , just a black background with green words in the front , kinda like how VGchartz used to look like, and the "Tiles" look slightly off, they're on the side with a noticable space on the right of the screen that is unused (Wtf?) you can change the black to white , and change the tiles colors to a bunch of colors, but it is still very unappealing, i bought it myself to play the exclusive XBL games, but they should really make it more appealing , and more user friendly (which is ironic from their ad campaign) , the phone is confusing , they mostly use icons instead of words so you don't know what this icon does unless you remember it , for example if you want to select "more options" you have to touch a barely seen icon tucked in the bottom right of the screen with a "...." , at first i never knew its an icon i thought its just a background thing, and it doesn't say what it does, so yeah they really need to make it more appealing! , i never going to see myself using this OS in my daily activities, Android and IOS are ironically more user friendly , and are much faster, which is another issue with Windows Phone 7 , is that everytime you select an app or folder, it shows you an unneeded little animation similar to the one you see in dvd/bluray movies when you select for example "Scene Selection"

WP7 slow? not user friendly? unneeded animations? Phone confusing?  Whats with you and trolling these days?

All these things are the reasons most reviewers praise the WP7 OS as it does them well. If you said that it lacks some features iOS and android have, I may have believed you...

OP - I've unlocked at least a 400-500 WP7 achievements. Beat Castlevania Puzzle of the night, tiki towers, fruit ninja and am working on Doodle jumper right now. Phone gaming like WP7 and IOS is portable gaming at its best. You can actually do it on the go, in the bus or subway...and not look like a total retard or fall face first when the driver slams on the breaks.

disolitude said:
PullusPardus said:

WP7 slow? not user friendly? unneeded animations? Phone confusing?  Whats with you and trolling these days?

All these things are the reasons most reviewers praise the WP7 OS as it does them well. If you said that it lacks some features iOS and android have, I may have believed you...

I have to disagree disolitude, there's a lot of user interface problems with the phone from the reviews I've read.

Probably the two biggest are the difficulty of getting to google maps and google search on the phone, compared to even my shitty smartphone that has them straight from the desktop/menu.

Additionally, If you own a mac it seems pretty clunky to get it to connect to a W7P, compared to iphone or android.

scottie said:
disolitude said:
PullusPardus said:

I have to disagree disolitude, there's a lot of user interface problems with the phone from the reviews I've read.

Probably the two biggest are the difficulty of getting to google maps and google search on the phone, compared to even my shitty smartphone that has them straight from the desktop/menu.

Additionally, If you own a mac it seems pretty clunky to get it to connect to a W7P, compared to iphone or android.

lol...yes yes Google search and maps arent integrated. WP7 users get Bing search and maps integrated and soon will be getting Ovi maps integrated. Apparently it has something to do with Microsoft and Google having a war over search advertising revenue... ;)

And yes, Mac users don't have a fun time syncing their WP7 phone, just like the Zunes before it. Iit is called a "Windows" phone.... Otherwise please show me any bugs or issues other than that, reported by reputable reviews.

Like I have the first Motorolla Droid (called Milestone in Canada) running 2.2 and LG WP7 in my hands right now...Been using both for at least 6 months. LG rapes it sideways in speed, user friendlness and usability. Sure, my droid came out a year before WP7, but thats one of the challenges Andoid has...not standardized hardware. One phone may be slugish while another is fast. WP7 is pretty much all the same experience.

disolitude said:
scottie said:
disolitude said:
PullusPardus said:

lol...yes yes Google search and maps arent integrated. WP7 users get Bing search and maps integrated and soon will be getting Ovi maps integrated. Apparently it has something to do with Microsoft and Google having a war over search advertising revenue... ;)

And yes, Mac users don't have a fun time syncing their WP7 phone, just like the Zunes before it. Iit is called a "Windows" phone.... Otherwise please show me any bugs or issues other than that, reported by reputable reviews.

Like I have the first Motorolla Droid (called Milestone in Canada) running 2.2 and LG WP7 in my hands right now...Been using both for at least 6 months. LG rapes it sideways in speed, user friendlness and usability. Sure, my droid came out a year before WP7, but thats one of the challenges Andoid has...not standardized hardware. One phone may be slugish while another is fast. WP7 is pretty much all the same experience.

I know the reasons why WP7 doesn't have proper search or maps from desktop. Just because there is a financial reason why the user interface is bad, does not mean that the user interface is not bad. The fact is, if you want proper search or maps, it takes much longer to get to it from a W7P than from any other smartphone.

And giving bad user interface for such a basic function as connecting it to your computer, for 10% of the population is not acceptable.

I feel no need to point out any further user interface problems. Those 2 are huge.

scottie said:
disolitude said:
scottie said:
disolitude said:
PullusPardus said:

I know the reasons why WP7 doesn't have proper search or maps from desktop. Just because there is a financial reason why the user interface is bad, does not mean that the user interface is not bad. The fact is, if you want proper search or maps, it takes much longer to get to it from a W7P than from any other smartphone.

And giving bad user interface for such a basic function as connecting it to your computer, for 10% of the population is not acceptable.

I feel no need to point out any further user interface problems. Those 2 are huge.

You sound like someone that really hasn't used the phone but talked to people wo didn't like it.

1. Bing maps and search more than do the job. Infact I prefer Bing search to Google search on my Android as they list important things close to me first (like Hockey team scores and other news). And they are fully integrated. So whats this "no proper search" talk?

2. Currently Google search can be done through an app and its not very good as all it is a hyperlink to google page using the browser. But guess what? It was made by Google INC.  And Google hasn't come around to making a better app...so blame them. Microsoft can't make a better Google app.

3. Mac OSX marketshare is more like 7%...10% with Ipads, Iphones and all that jazz. And WP7 works on Macs! Apparently some Mac users have issues but it works for most...so yes, WP7 supports the 7% of users who are set on using macs and don't have a Windows OS partition set up to sync their Windows phone with. Itunes was dreadful on PCs while I used Ipods (2008 and prior) and people always told me "you need a mac to use Itunes properly".