By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Xbox Live Coming to PC with Windows 8

Why settle for Windows Live on the PC when you can have Xbox Live on the PC? Xbox Live has become one of Microsoft’s most popular media platforms, extending beyond gaming throughout the Xbox 360’s life to encompass downloadable services, Netflix integration, and social networking. Where Xbox Live has built up a reputation as the definitive online gaming service on consoles, Windows Live on PC has been largely ignored or outright hated.

With the cross-platform success of Xbox Live gaming on Windows Phone 7, it seems only natural that Microsoft would announce Windows 8 has Xbox Live in its future.

Speaking to The Seattle Times, Microsoft VP Mike Delman described how Xbox Live will be expanded withlive TV and integration into Windows 8. A major chunk of time spent with Xbox 360 consoles today is dedicated to multimedia consumption rather than gaming, so the shift makes sense.

Live has been successful on the Windows Phone. Live will be built into the PC. It will be the service where you get your entertainment. We were talking about it — you will not just see consoles and handhelds at this show next year, this show's going to morph into other devices.

Currently Xbox Live and Windows Live have some connections. You can sign into Live Messenger on the Xbox and there is a system for cross-platform gaming in place--a system that’s been mostly neglected since Shadowrun, but a system that exists nonetheless. From Delman’s comments, it sounds like Xbox Live will take over as the primary multi-platform delivery service for games and video content, covering Microsoft’s phones, consoles and PCs.

Q: How will your services and content be part of Windows 8?

A: There will be a lot of similarities in design and service philosophy. Whether it's us or Apple or anybody else, people want to be able to navigate through multiple devices in a certain ecosystem very seamlessly so we're committed to that.

Q: Will Xbox Live be your cloud media service that works with your Windows PC as well as your phone and Xbox?

A: Xbox Live will [be] the pervasive media service across devices.

Q: Right now it's a little confusing — you've got Xbox Live, SkyDrive storage and other online places for media.

A: We have a ton of assets. Unifying the assets will be good for us and good for consumers.

Microsoft will have to play smart to successfully carry Xbox Live over to the PC, where gamers can easily play games for free without paying $60 annually for a subscription service. Games for Windows Live already offers access to Xbox Live friends lists and achievements, but there’s very little reason to choose the service over Steam.

Microsoft’s going to need to deliver a very tightly integrated media platform to expand Xbox Live into the PC space, especially if it plans to charge for access to the PC service. If Xbox Live isn’t a free service on Windows 8, it’s hard to picture non-subscribers paying $60 a year for Live on the PC.

http://www.tested.com/news/xbox-live-coming-to-pc-with-windows-8/2452/

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

So they've decided to completely get rid of the idea that Windows Live is actually PC based and throwing it all under the X-box Live banner. Not sure if this will actually have much of a difference other than for marketing purposes. Maybe they'll explore the idea of cross-platform play again?

Off topic a bit, anyone know how well Windows Phone 7 is doing relative to Android and iPhone OS? I didn't think it had a large marketshare.

I sure hope it's optional... I wouldn't like it to clutter my future win8 PC.

wow m$ really are scringy if they want to rip of pc owners

Well that is good news!

Around the Network

MS is sure trying Hard to try and charge PC gamers for online gaming.

this will fail. and thats almost certainty.

With MS pulling what they did in the Press conference, set your standards real low for this.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Scoobes said:
So they've decided to completely get rid of the idea that Windows Live is actually PC based and throwing it all under the X-box Live banner. Not sure if this will actually have much of a difference other than for marketing purposes. Maybe they'll explore the idea of cross-platform play again?

Off topic a bit, anyone know how well Windows Phone 7 is doing relative to Android and iPhone OS? I didn't think it had a large marketshare.

Are the carriers strangling Windows Phone 7 at retail?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20110609/tc_zd/265378

Microsoft Windows Phones are getting buried at carrier's stores.

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-great-argument-for-more-microsoft-stores-2011-6

I have read the second link and it seems that carrier stores are kind of ignoring WP7 and most likely due to (2) main reasons.

#1.) iDevices are super popular, they won't ignore the business they bring in, not to mention awareness of these devices are so incredibly high due to so many Apple Stores along with the carriers themselves.

#2.) Android gives these carriers so much freedom when it comes to carrier branded apps and the like. They stand to make good money from these devices.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Fuck, that, shit. I hate Windows Live, and I hate XBL. So pissed at Street Fighter forcing me to use GoWL, or Capcom on PC in general.

I can't imagine they'd charge for Live on PC... who would even pay that?

pearljammer said:
I can't imagine they'd charge for Live on PC... who would even pay that?

They tried before. Turns out no one will.