By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: Why Sony won E3

scottie said:
leatherhat said:
scottie said:
IGN: Why PS3 won E3

Because we refuse to admit the existence of Nintendo, and because Sony's was slightly better than Microsoft's.

People can debate who won between sony and nintendo but the fact is sony showed more exclusives (but still barely any) and the wii U underwhelmed. It was a bust of an E3.

Indeed, people can debate it, and I will debate with anyone who actually made an honest assesment, which includes everyone posting in this thread, but does not include IGN writers.

Sony always show more exclusives than the others because they show games a long way ahead of time. What you saw at E3 was Sony's exclusives for the next 3-4 years and Nintendos for 1-2. The fact that you are more used to companies that announce years in advance is why you think the Wii U underwhelmed. This E3, they announced that the 3DS will have a bigger lineup than any console has ever had in its first year, barring the Wii's (Wii Sports and Wii Play alone make the Wii's lineup the biggest). Next year, they shall talk about the Wii U. Saying that the Wii U underwhelmed is as ridiculous as saying that the PS4 underwhelmed.

Wait, what games did Sony show that were 3 or 4 years away?  Everything seemed rather close, like 1 or maybe 2.

Around the Network

I unno, IMO I still feel Nintendo won. PS Vita reminds me of PSP all over again, and PSP didn't start life that well (scaled down Uncharted LBP, and Mod Nation instead of GTA, Midnight Club, Metal Gear Solid).

3DS at least to me felt fresh, and although Nintendo didn't announce many new 3DS games, the lineup just looks spectacular. Also 3DS and Wii U are getting lots of 3rd party support.

Also Zelda >>> Anything else in the show, except maybe Mass Effect 3, but.... still.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

NYANKS said:
scottie said:
leatherhat said:
scottie said:

Because we refuse to admit the existence of Nintendo, and because Sony's was slightly better than Microsoft's.

People can debate who won between sony and nintendo but the fact is sony showed more exclusives (but still barely any) and the wii U underwhelmed. It was a bust of an E3.

Indeed, people can debate it, and I will debate with anyone who actually made an honest assesment, which includes everyone posting in this thread, but does not include IGN writers.

Sony always show more exclusives than the others because they show games a long way ahead of time. What you saw at E3 was Sony's exclusives for the next 3-4 years and Nintendos for 1-2. The fact that you are more used to companies that announce years in advance is why you think the Wii U underwhelmed. This E3, they announced that the 3DS will have a bigger lineup than any console has ever had in its first year, barring the Wii's (Wii Sports and Wii Play alone make the Wii's lineup the biggest). Next year, they shall talk about the Wii U. Saying that the Wii U underwhelmed is as ridiculous as saying that the PS4 underwhelmed.

Wait, what games did Sony show that were 3 or 4 years away?  Everything seemed rather close, like 1 or maybe 2.

This E3, Sony didn't announce games 3-4 years in advance (and I think it's because the PS4 is comming). However Sony usually announces games far in advance from Nintendo and Microsoft.

Microsoft almost never announces a game more then 2 years in advance (Halo 4 is just over a year, Forza 4 was less then a year, Forza 3 was like 4 months, and Gears 2 was about 8 months, etc).

Nintendo is similar. The games Nintendo announces the most in Advance are Zelda, and Smash Bros. Even Zelda, at best Nintendo gives 2 years warning.

For Sony, Killzone 2 was announced 5 years before release. Same with GT5, and The Last Guardian was actually delayed by 2 years, nevermind when it was announced.

BAck to the topic at hand, I still feel Nintendo won. Yea Sony announced more 1st party games, but that's because PS Vita just debuted. Nintendo announced more games in general (over 10 for Wii U), and a lot of Nintendo's featured games are bigger in magnitude then Sony's.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
NYANKS said:
scottie said:
leatherhat said:
scottie said:

This E3, Sony didn't announce games 3-4 years in advance (and I think it's because the PS4 is comming). However Sony usually announces games far in advance from Nintendo and Microsoft.

Microsoft almost never announces a game more then 2 years in advance (Halo 4 is just over a year, Forza 4 was less then a year, Forza 3 was like 4 months, and Gears 2 was about 8 months, etc).

Nintendo is similar. The games Nintendo announces the most in Advance are Zelda, and Smash Bros. Even Zelda, at best Nintendo gives 2 years warning.

For Sony, Killzone 2 was announced 5 years before release. Same with GT5, and The Last Guardian was actually delayed by 2 years, nevermind when it was announced.

BAck to the topic at hand, I still feel Nintendo won. Yea Sony announced more 1st party games, but that's because PS Vita just debuted. Nintendo announced more games in general (over 10 for Wii U), and a lot of Nintendo's featured games are bigger in magnitude then Sony's.

I don't understand how this myth is still perpetuated.

Around the beginning of a generation, projects are announced early in development.  As the generation progresses, and development cycles shorten and publishing line-ups swell, games are then announced closer to release.  This is equally true for both Sony and Microsoft.

Yes, Killzone 2 was announced four (yes, four - not five) years prior to release, as was Gran Turismo 5 (are you intentionally ignoring the release of Prologue?), but the same can be said for games like Lost Odyssey, Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and Alan Wake, all of which were announced in 2005-2006, yet none of which came out until 2008-2010.  In fact, Alan Wake had a longer development cycle than any of the PS3 games you mentioned.

On the other hand, sequels to franchises that have already seen releases in a generation are generally announced closer to release.  Gears 2 and Fable 3 were released around a year after their initial announcement, as you pointed out, and the same can be said for Killzone 3, LittleBigPlanet 2, Infamous 2, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, and Socom 4, all of which were announced in the first half of 2010 and released over the first half of 2011.  Then there's Resistance 2 and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, which were announced at the start of 2008 and released that very same year, as well as Uncharted 2 in 2009.  And there's Twisted Metal, which was announced at last year's E3 conference, and is set to release in October.

Of course, there are exceptions when it comes to new IPs.  For example, Ryse was announced at Microsoft's conference last year, and it's looking like a late 2012 title.  Same goes for Sony and the Last Guardian.

scottie said:
leatherhat said:
scottie said:

This is factually untrue. 

Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, the God of War Collection, and the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection all have set release dates prior to the end of the year, and that's only a small part of their line up for this calendar year.  Games like Twisted Metal and Ratchet: All 4 One weren't even mentioned, given they simply did not have enough time to devote to that many titles.

As for games without set release dates, Starhawk is penciled in for Q2 2012, much like how LBP2, KZ3, etc. were announced this time last year and released roughly one year later, and Sly is set for the end of 2012.  Uncharted: Golden Abyss is a PSV launch title, so that's a late 2011 or early 2012 title.

I cannot think of a SINGLE title Sony showed at their conference that could be even three years off, let alone four.   They actually had so many games to show that many titles set for this year got the shaft, and we still don't know the bulk of their line up for late 2012 (I'm guessing more God of War and maybe Guerrilla Games' or Quantic Dreams' new IP or something).

Around the Network

aside from uncharted and resistance their conference was not to impressive ill say nintendo won. Sony got second though lol horseshoes.

Well, I totally agree with the statement. For me as well, Sony won E3.
They didn't just handle to show lots of exclusives for their home system, non counting the sweet 3d tv deal: they also managed to make Nintendo's new console presentation not so hegemonous as expected, if not entirely for their own merits (Nintendo helped a big deal by not showing specs nor software). Yet again, a year ago I was calling 3DS to keep its supremacy in the handheld market and after this presentation I'm under the impression it will be an epic fight for the market supremacy.

Two year ago, when I decided to buy a PS3 I had to do some serious thinking. After this E3, even with the prospect of Wii U relatively close, I wouldn't think that much.

ninty press was a failure...it was boring and messy and left a lot of ppl confused and underwhelmed. heck even the rumors were pretty spot on! horrible leakage
sony was consistent but lacked surprises...but then again nothing for more surprising all E3 as the PSV price and line up. so yeah they had something for everyone.
ms conference was a disaster....pumping fists, bad child actors...bad grown up actors...bad laggy kinect demos. saving grace was a short clip of Halo 4...but hardly a shocker

sony won...though it's a rather boring E3

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Being the head of a pack of loser is hardly what I called a win.

Congratulating Sony's E3 is like congratulating a man for losing 9.5 fingers in a fight when his 2 compatriots lost 10 fingers each.

^^ Hilarious analogy!

I can't say who won as I haven't watched it yet. But from what I've read on VGChartz, there weren't many reveals at all.