By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: Why Sony won E3

I agree.

Though I'd say if the conferences were rated on a numeral scale, the disparity between scores would be at a 0.01 level. Awful conferences all around; I personally say they were all equal.

AVP quote forthcoming.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

I think Sony won cause they kind of killed the myth that they're going for $599.00. lol

With Nintendo, with what they've shown I liked it even some of the games for 3DS such as Luigi's Mansion and the possibilities of the WiiU gameplay but they kind of left some uncertainty to probably most of the gamers with the WiiU, some even left them confused. lol

But even if Sony won E3 for me, it's really just a small margin that it's possible that the winners could be both of them or interchangeable. But one thing for sure, E3 '11 sucked. :P

IGN is only one media, I think the general consensus in the media is that Nintendo "won" (or received more attention)...but it was a pretty lame victory if u ask me, nothing to brag about.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

scottie said:
IGN: Why PS3 won E3

Because we refuse to admit the existence of Nintendo, and because Sony's was slightly better than Microsoft's.

i disagree. all Nintendo showed was the controler for the Wii u, and while awsume they needed more then that to win.

Michael-5 said:

This is one reason why E3 bummed me out for PS3, after this fall, what do we have? 

Dust?

Sly?

TLG?

And of course anything quantic dream is doing would be a gamescon announcement. 

Also- if you guys read about it you'll notice that Dust 514 was the biggest announcement of the show by far. The stuff the devs have been talking about doing with it will completely blow all fps games out of the water. And sony has it as an exclusive- they win by far. The more I learn about Dust the more I realize how much further ahead sony's conference was than nintendos or MS. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

I disagree and I'm a Sony supporter.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Machina said:

I agree. For me, Sony had the best press conference thanks to Vita. As far as the home console market goes though, all 3 failed abysmally in my opinion.

well maybe i should watch MS and Soys press confrences again cause i thought both where great and definatlybetter then Nintendo's

and i see So0ny winning next year also...

but now its TGS...its gonna be awesome!!!!

Michael-5 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Michael-5 said:
NYANKS said:
scottie said:
leatherhat said:
scottie said:
IGN: Why PS3 won E3

Because we refuse to admit the existence of Nintendo, and because Sony's was slightly better than Microsoft's.

People can debate who won between sony and nintendo but the fact is sony showed more exclusives (but still barely any) and the wii U underwhelmed. It was a bust of an E3.

Indeed, people can debate it, and I will debate with anyone who actually made an honest assesment, which includes everyone posting in this thread, but does not include IGN writers.

Sony always show more exclusives than the others because they show games a long way ahead of time. What you saw at E3 was Sony's exclusives for the next 3-4 years and Nintendos for 1-2. The fact that you are more used to companies that announce years in advance is why you think the Wii U underwhelmed. This E3, they announced that the 3DS will have a bigger lineup than any console has ever had in its first year, barring the Wii's (Wii Sports and Wii Play alone make the Wii's lineup the biggest). Next year, they shall talk about the Wii U. Saying that the Wii U underwhelmed is as ridiculous as saying that the PS4 underwhelmed.

Wait, what games did Sony show that were 3 or 4 years away?  Everything seemed rather close, like 1 or maybe 2.

This E3, Sony didn't announce games 3-4 years in advance (and I think it's because the PS4 is comming). However Sony usually announces games far in advance from Nintendo and Microsoft.

Microsoft almost never announces a game more then 2 years in advance (Halo 4 is just over a year, Forza 4 was less then a year, Forza 3 was like 4 months, and Gears 2 was about 8 months, etc).

Nintendo is similar. The games Nintendo announces the most in Advance are Zelda, and Smash Bros. Even Zelda, at best Nintendo gives 2 years warning.

For Sony, Killzone 2 was announced 5 years before release. Same with GT5, and The Last Guardian was actually delayed by 2 years, nevermind when it was announced.

BAck to the topic at hand, I still feel Nintendo won. Yea Sony announced more 1st party games, but that's because PS Vita just debuted. Nintendo announced more games in general (over 10 for Wii U), and a lot of Nintendo's featured games are bigger in magnitude then Sony's.

I don't understand how this myth is still perpetuated.

Around the beginning of a generation, projects are announced early in development.  As the generation progresses, and development cycles shorten and publishing line-ups swell, games are then announced closer to release.  This is equally true for both Sony and Microsoft.

Yes, Killzone 2 was announced four (yes, four - not five) years prior to release, as was Gran Turismo 5 (are you intentionally ignoring the release of Prologue?), but the same can be said for games like Lost Odyssey, Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and Alan Wake, all of which were announced in 2005-2006, yet none of which came out until 2008-2010.  In fact, Alan Wake had a longer development cycle than any of the PS3 games you mentioned.

On the other hand, sequels to franchises that have already seen releases in a generation are generally announced closer to release.  Gears 2 and Fable 3 were released around a year after their initial announcement, as you pointed out, and the same can be said for Killzone 3, LittleBigPlanet 2, Infamous 2, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, and Socom 4, all of which were announced in the first half of 2010 and released over the first half of 2011.  Then there's Resistance 2 and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, which were announced at the start of 2008 and released that very same year, as well as Uncharted 2 in 2009.  And there's Twisted Metal, which was announced at last year's E3 conference, and is set to release in October.

Of course, there are exceptions when it comes to new IPs.  For example, Ryse was announced at Microsoft's conference last year, and it's looking like a late 2012 title.  Same goes for Sony and the Last Guardian.

It's not a myth, it's just the way console manufacturers are. 2/3 of MS's biggest games this fall were announced at E3, or at Spike's 2010 GOTY Awards. That's less then a year. Dance Central 2, and Kinect Sports 2 are more of the same.

Microsoft doesn't announce projects as early as Sony. When has MS ever announced a game 5 years before release like Sony has with Killzone 2 and GT5? I'm pretty sure no one knew about Halo 3 when the 360 was initially released (but we all knew one was coming).

First of all, if you want to kill what you claim to be a myth, do some background searching.

• Lost Odyssey was announced only 1 year before release in Americas, (Japanese debut was 2 years before US release).
  • Banjo Kazooie was also only 1 year before release (it was actually absent from E3 2007, but was known to be in development, released in 2008)
  • Killzone 2 was a 4years, my mistake.
  • GT5 was announced 5 years before launch, yes there was Prologue, but the full GT5 was still announced 5 years before launch.
  • Also Alan Wake was released in a shorter release period then GT5, but you are right there is 1 360 games with over a 2 year wait before announcement. (Alan Wake was announced at E3 2005, and released in Spring 2010. GT5 was announced at the same E3, but released in November 2010). Also Alan Wake wasn't confirmed exclusive until 2006.

Now to populate the list of lengthy PS3 releases. Other then Killzone 2 and GT5

• FFXIII Versus (assuming it remains exclusive) was announced in 2006, that's already 5 years.
  • Agent was announced in 2007, that's already 4 years.
  • MGS4 was announced 3 years before release.
  • If The Last Guardian is released this fall, it will be at 2.5 years, but it will probably not release in 2011.
  • White Knight Chronicles was 2.5 years before release
  • White Knight Chronicles 2 will be 2 years if it comes out this fall.
  • God of War 3 was launched just under 2 years after release (However there was discussion about the game from creators as far back as 3 years)
  • Resistance 3 was announced 2 years before release
  • LittleBigPlanet 2 was almost 2 years
  • LittleBigPlanet was 1.5 years before release
  • Tales of Xillia is 14 months for the Japan release
  • However Uncharted's only get announced 1 year before release. Uncharted 2 was only 9 months, like you say
  • Demon's Souls was also only 1 year.
  • Resistance 2 was also just under 1 year before release.
  • Killzone 3 was the shortest release after debut, 9 months.

Some 360 games

• Too Human was in development since 1999, 9 years before launch, so you could count that, but development was only shifted to the 360 (from Gamecube, and from PS1) in 2005. So really that counts as 3 years. Still I found a second game for you.
  • Halo: Reach was the longest 1st party game, just over 2 years.
  • Gears 3 was announced 2 years before release
  • Mass Effect 1 was announced 2 years before release
  • Infinite Undiscovery was 2 years
  • Fable 2 was 2 years
  • Halo 3 was just over a year, Halo 4 should be the same
  • Fable 3 was just over a year
  • Forza Motorsport 4 was announced 10 months before release
  • Mass Effect 2 was 10 months
  • Tales of Vesperia was 9 months
  • Gears 2 was announced 8 months before release
  • Halo CEA was announced 5 months before release
  • Forza Motorsport 3 was announced 4 months before release

As you see, 360 only has 3 games that were released over 2 years after announcement, and they were developed by third party studios, not originally planned to be 360 exclusive. Sony has 7 games with over a 2 year release. Wvwn then, that's not a big deal, but Sony has almost no games which were released in less then a year. Yea Uncharteds cut about 11 months, and Killzone 3 got 9, but nothing shorter. This E3, MS announced 3 games to be released by this Novemeber, a 5 month announcement-release Window.

This isn't a myth, MS often announces games just before launch (I have 6 larger games with under 1 year announcements), and Sony has a history of announcing games generally 2 years or earlier before launch (with some exceptions like Uncharted).

YES you are right, there are exceptions. Sometimes MS announces a game 2 years before launch, but it's not common. Sony still has games releasing which have been in development for 3-4 years. Never does Sony announce a game less then 6 months before release, MS does this to at least 1 major franchise, almost every year. Sorry bro, this is no Myth, this is what Sony and MS do. This is one reason why E3 bummed me out for PS3, after this fall, what do we have? I really hope Sony does a late announcement for something, or finally releases Agent.

you know you still get an A for effort lol, no matter how worng or misinformed you are always support yourself to the fullest with super long post like this,

anyway

1. the myth was 3-4 years, 2 years is normal

2. Agent was announced in 2009 IDK where the fuck you got 07 from

Michael5 needs to get his dates straight. A lot of these are way outta whack. Some of them are even worse considering that the game has already been released in some territories!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.